Advice Request Norton Password Manager vault missing after iPhone upgrade

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Norton claim there is some kind is popup during install of the app where it asks if you want to create a new vault and that I must have selected it. Can anyone please confirm if this is real or bullshit? I just deleted and reinstalled with no such popup.
Unless it’s very new, I’ve never seen such prompt and it doesn’t exist. I am dragging my Norton vault since 2008.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
@Trident Has Norton Password Manager for you been working all this time?
I used to use it a lot years ago. The field detection logics were good and it used to work for me. Later on I switched to Apple’s key chain and Chrome built-in password manager and haven’t really used Norton Identity Safe/Norton Password Manager. The passwords however are still there.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
I’ve transitioned to dozens of phones lol
It is not a problem to change cell phones often, I think you did not understand me, you can as long as you have a backup, or have an alternative solution, if you export the safe even in CSV format and leave it in a safe place, if one day you need it can save your skin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trident

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I bought a new iPhone and added the Norton Password app and logged in to my Norton account.
It asked me to add a Vault password, which I did.
Based on the information you have provided, it may have been both a Norton error (ie. not being able to detect the existing vault) and User mistake.
  • If a vault was not detected = Create a new password (“It asked me to add a Vault password, which I did.”)
  • If a vault was detected = Unlock Your Vault prompt (enter existing Master Password)
I then noticed on my original device it has overwritten my old vault with a new empty vault.
As Norton does not support multiple vaults, the outcome is self-explanatory.

Norton Password Manager lets you create a cloud vault and save your Norton Password Manager data. You can create one cloud vault for each Norton account. You cannot create a local vault. […] When you move your Norton Password Manager data from local vault to cloud vault, the data in your local vault cannot be accessed.
Source: Create Norton Password Manager cloud vault

We can immediately rule out Apple from the equation, as no amount of iCloud app data backup would restore the data which were stored on Norton servers. Norton Password Manager does not create local vaults.
iCloud Backup includes app data for the apps that you've downloaded on your device. This includes data for third-party social media apps, games, and messaging apps, as well as apps from Apple that don't sync with iCloud.

If the app uses iCloud Drive to store data, that information is stored in iCloud instead of your iCloud Backup.
Source: What does iCloud back up?

Norton customers should reach out to Norton Support for future advice about managing your passwords on Norton services.

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Based on the information you have provided, it may have been both a Norton error (ie. not being able to detect the existing vault) and User mistake.
  • If a vault was not detected = Create a new password (“It asked me to add a Vault password, which I did.”)
  • If a vault was detected = Unlock Your Vault prompt (enter existing Master Password)

As Norton does not support multiple vaults, the outcome is self-explanatory.

Source: Create Norton Password Manager cloud vault

We can immediately rule out Apple from the equation, as no amount of iCloud app data backup would restore the data which were stored on Norton servers. Norton Password Manager does not create local vaults.

Source: What does iCloud back up?

Norton customers should reach out to Norton Support for future advice about managing your passwords on Norton services.
When I first installed their app on my new phone I logged into my Norton account. I then went to a website and it saved my login details when I manually logged in which i thought was odd since I assumed it was syncing. At this point I saw a vault with one item appear and so I though it must have different vaults for different devices. TheN i did get a popup asking me
if I want to secure my vault with a passphrase which I did. That didn't seem like a red flag at the time but I guess I should have backed it up anyway.
Norton's chat support has since dropped connection for me 5 times while I waited as the technician was looking into it.
I've switched to ProtonPass.

Reactions: Digmor Crusher

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've switched to ProtonPass.
What made you pick Proton Pass over Bitwarden?

IIRC; new Proton Pass users are auto-enrolled onto their Plus Free Trial, which includes integrated 2FA and multiple vaults. If you enjoy all the paid features, you may consider upgrading to Pass Plus. Details: On Sale! - PSA: Proton Pass Plus $1/month ‘forever discount' promo ends August 31, 2023

Both Proton Pass and Bitwarden allow users to easily export their data for backups as well as prior to switching.

The default export option is an unencrypted .json file. More details below:
Bitwarden Premium is $10 per year, which includes additional benefits such as FIDO2 support and Send (E2EE).

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Proton Pass Plus is an excellent deal, but I get hung up on the $1.00 a month slow drip out of my account for years? on end. I would rather not have that deal up-front and be able to pay per year. I know I'm paying most of my bills from monthly invoices, but those are bigger ticket items that make sense to me. Give me Bitwarden Premium at $10.00 a year, and be done with it for a year. Just thought you all needed to know that...😅😅

Last edited:
  • Applause
Reactions: BigWrench and Cleo

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Proton Pass Plus is an excellent deal, but I get hung up on the $1.00 a month slow drip out of my account for years? on end. I would rather not have that deal up-front and be able to pay per year. I know I'm paying most of my bills from monthly invoices, but those are bigger ticket items that make sense to me. Give me Bitwarden Premium at $10.00 a year, and be done with it for a year. Just thought you all needed to know that...😅😅
You can buy more than a month at a time, I bought 24 months in one shot recently.

• Applause
Reactions: Jonny Quest

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
I'm a little hesitant about investing in password managers right now. After my vault was stolen from Lastpass (My data is behind a 12 character random string password there) and now this.. I can't wait for more sites to accept passkeys.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
You can buy more than a month at a time, I bought 24 months in one shot recently.
Got it, thank you. I got hung up on the billed monthly, but it's actually charged, in your case, every two years. They're just showing what the monthly billing come to in that time frame.
Thanks again for posting that :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.