App Review Norton Security 360

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
Norton Security 360
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
Very clear and nice interface.
Everything is quickly accessible, and it is very configurable!
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
Norton has many defensive shields (Auto-Protect, SONAR, Download Insight, Web Protection etc)
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Lightning fast scans
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Can be costly to run
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
VMWare Workstation Pro 16
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
8Go dedied to 32Go DDR4
MSI GeForce RTX 2060 XS OC
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
  2. High-end or medium spec PCs
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello :)

Quick test on Norton Security, on virtual machine.
The test was done after the Kaspersky's test, on several scenarios.
Modified Settings (SONAR only, aggressive)

WARNING : Norton was booed because of the addition of Norton Crypto, and its aggressive policy (fake pop-up to entice to buy it, or its commercial practices... I won't talk about them in this test)

Interface UI :
89zUz7Rq.png

Detection notification

fcJsICN5.png

Download insight (Unknow program)

HZocrjzj.png

SONAR alert (Proactive Protection)

ETEymauz.png

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Just a total revamp too really. Feels a bit left behind in comparison to some others on the market now.
Yes that is strange indeed since they were one of the very first AV's in the whole wide world. I remember the say in the 90's when a beta tester would get things like gold plated letter openers and when the beta was done, they would send you a brand-new box of the product. I was able to get on their beta program because I was a Cleansweep by Quarterdeck Beta tester when they purchased it. What ever happened to those days?

Attachments

• OIP.jpg
    OIP.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 289
F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Meh. Probably still does not support AMSI, and scripts are one of Norton's weak spots. Attackers have to know what they're doing and how to circumvent the Norton protections. Throwing samples at antivirus is not sufficient testing.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
No I’m pointing out that you said it “Probably still doesn’t support AMSI”, without even checking if that is actually the case to support your meh claim. And presented no results showing Norton’s apparent weakness against scripts as if it’s a given. If they are inconvenient facts you could enlighten us all with the factual data so we could make more informed decisions.

I don’t really care about Norton, or GDATA, or any company for that matter. It’s the dismissive tone of superiority that is suffocatingly obnoxious.

Or at least, you know, be kind.

Last edited by a moderator:

devjit2020

Level 2
Apr 7, 2022
@blackice don't bother replying to lothar91. I said this before he's just a troll who thinks he knows everything but he doesn't. Moreover you won't find him ever saying anything good about any AV be it Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Norton, ESET. He just comes in the forums to troll. If you ask him to show any proof he'll just talk rubbish and nonsense. So I just ignore him and let him do his usual ranting of blah blah blah. The more you reply to him the more he'll troll you, just hit that ignore button and continue with your work.

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

No I’m pointing out that you said it “Probably still doesn’t support AMSI”, without even checking if that is actually the case to support your meh claim. And presented no results showing Norton’s apparent weakness against scripts as if it’s a given. If they are inconvenient facts you could enlighten us all with the factual data so we could make more informed decisions.

I don’t really care about Norton, or GDATA, or any company for that matter. It’s the dismissive tone of superiority that is suffocatingly obnoxious.

Or at least, you know, be kind.
All of it is already documented here at MT. Read through the Norton sub-forum.

devjit2020

Level 2
Apr 7, 2022
I have a small question to all the Norton users who have a SSD. When you run the disk optimization does it run a TRIM or does it defragment the SSD? Last time I tried Norton it disabled the windows built-in disk optimizer and defragmented my SSD instead of running a TRIM. If Norton got this corrected in the latest build I'm willing to give it a try again since their protection is Excellent.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I have a small question to all the Norton users who have a SSD. When you run the disk optimization does it run a TRIM or does it defragment the SSD? Last time I tried Norton it disabled the windows built-in disk optimizer and defragmented my SSD instead of running a TRIM. If Norton got this corrected in the latest build I'm willing to give it a try again since their protection is Excellent.
It's always a deal breaker for me when AVs mess with windows' own automated functions.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
When I used Norton it never did anything with my ssd. It always skips this part

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
All of it is already documented here at MT. Read through the Norton sub-forum.

Norton does have AMSI monitoring that prevents malware from being downloaded as an exploit.
However, the downloaded file must be detected. Otherwise, SONAR intervenes to stop the attack.
I test it a lot and I know how it defends itself :)

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

I tried Norton 360 today and it defragmented my SSD, it wasnt a TRIM, it took something between 12 minutes to complete, I almost sure it was a bug, this shouldnt have happened.

If I am not wrong all Norton does is call Windows API, but this interaction went wrong in my machine.

Ps: Norton seems to have disabled Windows disk's scheduled tasks in favor of its own, why Norton? Totally useless feature with harmful potencial.

devjit2020

Level 2
Apr 7, 2022
I tried Norton 360 today and it defragmented my SSD, it wasnt a TRIM, it took something between 12 minutes to complete, I almost sure it was a bug, this shouldnt have happened.

If I am not wrong all Norton does is call Windows API, but this interaction went wrong in my machine.
Exactly the same thing happened with me a couple of months back when I used Norton. For some reason it can't differentiate between SSD and HDD. Defragmenting a SSD is detrimental to it's lifespan. When I disabled the automatic tasks from Norton I found out that it had also disabled the windows built-in disk optimizer (which was then configured by Norton to never run).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.