RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I'm on a dilemma here. Was planning to leave Avast Free behind and choose from a paid suite.
  1. Norton Security Standard (lastest version)
  2. Kaspersky Internet Security (lastest version)

What would you recommend for home use and advanced knowledge? Thanks! :)

Aditional notes:

• Chosen product will be on max settings
  • Will use the suite firewall (on max settings)
  • Will be used along with VodooShield and HitmanPro.Alert

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
For those experiencing issues with KIS being heavy, especially when browsing, you can try doing the following until some of the issues are resolved, hopefully in the 2018 release:
Kaspersky Settings > Protection > disable Private Browsing > clear browser cache > reboot
Kaspersky > Settings > Additional > Network > Do not scan encrypted connections
Kaspersky > Settings > Additional > Network > Traffic Processing > uncheck Inject Script
good tips. I did uncheck Inject scripts and it actually reduced a lot of CPU while browsing

however the persistent problem with KIS is the slow scanning speed -> slows down the system

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I wish they could speed up their scan speeds like Emsisoft! I'm not even sure if I have actually done a Full System Scan yet because it takes so darn long...
I don't know if scanning speed may or may not affect the efficacy of detection
avast used to have the fastest scanning speed but now they have one of the slowest (option: use code emulation) but the detection rate has improved exponentially
perhaps Kas don't wanna change that

D

Deleted member 2913

For those experiencing issues with KIS being heavy, especially when browsing, you can try doing the following until some of the issues are resolved, hopefully in the 2018 release:
Kaspersky Settings > Protection > disable Private Browsing > clear browser cache > reboot
Kaspersky > Settings > Additional > Network > Do not scan encrypted connections
Kaspersky > Settings > Additional > Network > Traffic Processing > uncheck Inject Script
I have above 2 disabled as dont need/use them.
3rd one is enabled as required for key stroke encryption in supported browsers.
KIS 2017 runs light here for every purposes.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Do you had Zemana Antilogger too with Kaspersky installed?
Some users reported probs as mentioned by you with Kaspersky & Zemana installed.
You have to disable Zemana ID theft protection to solve the issue.
I had the exact same problem with Zemana AL/AM installed with KIS, I removed ZAM/AL and everything ran fine. I'm currently running KAV 2017 with Comodo firewall and even though they're not supposed to be compatible I made the relevant exclusions and everything is running perfect. I feel KAV with Comodo firewall is a solid setup.

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thank you guys. Here's what i'll do. When my farm internet connection decides to work better i'll download KIS trial again. I'll uninstall Comodo Firewall, configure it as you all told me, and add exclusions. As well i'll wait at least a day to make sure application control and all feature have done their respective lists on the background. If done this, KIS still slows me down, RIP.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thank you guys. Here's what i'll do. When my farm internet connection decides to work better i'll download KIS trial again. I'll uninstall Comodo Firewall, configure it as you all told me, and add exclusions. As well i'll wait at least a day to make sure application control and all feature have done their respective lists on the background. If done this, KIS still slows me down, RIP.
there is no way you can get the same speed as avast again with KIS :)
fully tweaked avast + VS pro are much much lighter than KIS alone with all performance tweaks

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
I would have to go with KIS since it's probably the best option out there (along with Emsisoft) but it can have performance impacts. Based off of personal testing and malware hub, I am very impressed with level of security it offers. My Emsisoft license is expiring soon and I'm pretty conflicted if I want to renew or switch to KIS :/

Reactions: JB007

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.