After 20min,it give me 50C temp CPU and 100% active HDD..I stopped

untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DrJovan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2014
Your CPU must be very slow or your reading speed from HDD must be slow too.
Cpu 8x3.79Ghz-about 50% usage on scan...and HDD show me in task manager 250-300MB/s(But i think it wrong,because i can see active whit ofter tools,and show me 80MB/s)..I think it normal speed

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I think be better defragment your hdd, can help to improve the overall performace:)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Some other tips to change in Kaspersky Full Scan:

* Files Scanned by format or by extension.
* Scan only new and changed files.
* Do not unpack compound files larger than...

If You are using KIS/KTS/KAVMR2 15.0.2.361a, Patch b is coming soon (maybe this week) and I think will fix some of high CPU issues...

Personally I never run a Full Scan, I use a High Security Quick Scan settings adding system folders where typically malwares go :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
There are instances where large file size especially in .ISO where contains a lot of files which makes the scanning process took very long.

Some you may check the configuration as possible + those are estimated time completion due to resource operation that can vary.

H

hjlbx

A 10hr scan with 50 C and 100 % CPU continuously is clearly a compatibility\hardware error issue...

It happens occasionally... not uncommon.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
There are instances where large file size especially in .ISO where contains a lot of files which makes the scanning process took very long.

Some you may check the configuration as possible + those are estimated time completion due to resource operation that can vary.

True! That's why i set my scan this way

Fullscreen%2Bcapture%2B6172015%2B105748%2BAM.bmp.jpg

Is there an option for Kaspersky to exclude compressed files from Full Scan?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Exterminator

DrJovan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2014
True! That's why i set my scan this way

Fullscreen%2Bcapture%2B6172015%2B105748%2BAM.bmp.jpg

Is there an option for Kaspersky to exclude compressed files from Full Scan?
Will be check today,i think yes..

Not hardware error ,all components is new and tested..btw not 100%usage cpu,~50% and temp is 50C because my stock coler is very bad(make noise like helicopter) :) i m 100%sure..Seems i just have too much files on HDD...it scan for 50mins than show me 3h left...

Reactions: frogboy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Have you switched to the Power settings to High Performance? Check that nothing else is running? Do you have more than one real-time antivirus or anti-malware active?

What are your current Full Scan settings?

Try running a Custom Scan or a Quick Scan as recommended.

S

SkyJP

I've had this same problem before when I used Kaspersky. I had to untick some of the checkboxes in Settings - Performance, under the "Computer resources" header.

I then excluded large folders which I was 100% sure did not include viruses (e.g. certain photos and videos folders holding about 300GB).

The interface does not update instantaneously either. Sometimes I notice that the bar does not update for a while, nor does the percentage or the time remaining. Eventually it did finish for me (taking approximately 1 hour to scan about 150GB files on a laptop HDD).

Is there a specific file that it pauses on?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@SkyJP : Scan times is really a hard way to improve the optimization but an option exist mostly in AV's scanner configuration to make the priority process run on high level so it should finish the time process as possible.

Specific file are sometimes from .ISO, Virtual images and system images from your backup because of extracting the other minor files to scan them throughly.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
You shouldn't rely too much on the initial time it shows. When scanning with Kaspersky most of the time the number it shows increases and decreases over the scanning period. Just because it shows 10 hours doesn't necessarily mean it will take 10 hours, it could be less.

H

hjlbx

You can use only Custom scan optimization; if malware remains on your system in areas it is essentially inert. Any malware loaded into active memory is scanned by the Custom profile.

This is exactly how Emsisoft optimized their scans and reduced scan times from 20+ mins to only a few minutes - or even less. Their attitude is this: if it isn't active in memory then it is inert... and a full scan is not absolutely necessary, but available for those that are particularly OCD about such things.

Lockedown

Jul 19, 2015
I'm seeing the same slow scanning with Kaspersky. I do think using "do not unpack compound files larger than" option will help me as it seems to hang up on some of them.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what the ideal file size is for this setting? I realize that most malware/viruses are usually fairly small and the larger files on my PC are all pretty old and aren't an issue.

H

hjlbx

I'm seeing the same slow scanning with Kaspersky. I do think using "do not unpack compound files larger than" option will help me as it seems to hang up on some of them.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what the ideal file size is for this setting? I realize that most malware/viruses are usually fairly small and the larger files on my PC are all pretty old and aren't an issue.

Do not scan archives... it is absolutely a complete waste of system resources. Kaspersky will detect any malicious files upon extraction.

It seems to me that something else is amiss. The longest scan I've ever had was 4.5 hours with maximum heuristics on a crapware-laden OEM system.

Lockedown

Jul 19, 2015
Do not scan archives... it is absolutely a complete waste of system resources. Kaspersky will detect any malicious files upon extraction.

It seems to me that something else is amiss. The longest scan I've ever had was 4.5 hours with maximum heuristics on a crapware-laden OEM system.

I had some VERY large archives on my computer- large exports from server logs and backups. When Kaspersky hit them it would grind to a hault and the timer would say something like 8 DAYS to complete lol. After a few hours I just canceled it since it was stuck on one large archive.

I will disable archive scanning totally and see what it runs like tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.