Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Starting today, the NoScript Firefox extension, a popular tool for privacy-focused users, is also available for Google Chrome, Giorgio Maone, NoScript's author, has told ZDNet.

The NoScript Chrome port, on which Maone has worked for months, is now available from the official Chrome Web Store, via this link.
"I'm very satisfied of this first public Chromium-compatible NoScript's beta (10.6.x). I plan to bless NoScript 11 as a 'stable release for Chrome' by the end of June," Maone told ZDNet.
NOSCRIPT'S XSS PROTECTION NOT AVAILABLE IN CHROME VERSION
"Talking about differences across supported browsers, the code base is now is exactly the same," Maone told ZDNet.

"But on Chromium, I had to disable, at least for the time being, NoScript's XSS filter."

Below is an image of NoScript's XSS filter showing an alert in the Tor Browser, a feature not available in the Chrome version, according to Maone.

"Chromium users will have to rely on the browser's built-in 'XSS Auditor,' which over time proved not to be as effective as NoScript's 'Injection Checker'," Maone told us.

"But the latter could not be ported in a sane way yet, because it requires asynchronous processing of web requests: a feature provided by Firefox only.

"To be honest, when Firefox switched to the WebExtensions API, which was largely inspired by Chrome, Mozilla made me contribute to its design and implementation in order to ensure that it supported NoScript's use cases as much as possible," Maone said. "Regrettably, the additions and enhancements which resulted from this work have not been picked up by Google."

NoScript extension officially released for Google Chrome | ZDNet

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
So good news that NoScript is now available for Chrome, but bad news is there's no XSS implementation. :/

~LDogg

Reactions: AtlBo

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Well my 2 cents on this great news

Edge-chromium can be made safer than Google Chrome with WD Exploit protection for all Windows 10 user, Win10 users on newer CPU's will benefit of Windows Sandbox, so security aware users will probably choose Edge-Chromium with uBlock0rigin

Opera with its new VPN could be the alternative for privacy aware users to Google Chrome. With uBlock0rigin still offering more and easier to add user specified blocklists than Oracle's build in Adblocker, NoScript will have a hard time attracting a large user base on Oracle also.

Only on Firefox with the build in blocker (of Disconnect) offering more options (e.g. anti fingerprinting option) in the future I see a the benefits of using NoScript with build-in blocker (compared to using uBlock0rigin). Sadly for NoScript most Firefox users are more educated than average Joe/Jane, so they will probably prefer the more granular control of uBlock0rigin.

A typical case of to little to late IMO.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Opera with its new VPN could be the alternative for privacy aware users to Google Chrome. With uBlock0rigin still offering more and easier to add user specified blocklists than Oracle's build in Adblocker, NoScript will have a hard time attracting a large user base on Oracle also.
The vpn upgrade is huge benefit from opera, if you use it same way as you do with google chrome

Currently im myself trying out opera + umatrix vs brave+umatrix

For me its umatrix over noscript

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.