NoVirusThanks OSArmor

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
I've already reported this to @NoVirusThanks but wanted to inform everybody here. I was having an issue starting with test22 release with the Configurator GUI not opening up, turned out to be a conflict on my end. I was running VooodooShield 4.15, the second I shut it down the GUI popped up.

So just a fair warning to others that you could experience conflicts running OSArmor with Voodoo. I've uninstalled VoodooShield, I'm not giving up my OSArmor. :)

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
I've already reported this to @NoVirusThanks but wanted to inform everybody here. I was having an issue starting with test22 release with the Configurator GUI not opening up, turned out to be a conflict on my end. I was running VooodooShield 4.15, the second I shut it down the GUI popped up.

So just a fair warning to others that you could experience conflicts running OSArmor with Voodoo. I've uninstalled VoodooShield, I'm not giving up my OSArmor. :)

If you need an AE, NVT's ERP will run with no conflict alongside OSArmor.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I enabled some of the advanced options (can't remember exactly which ones), and at reboot, werfault recorded an error from Macrium Reflect UI. (I only knew about it because SpyShelter Firewall politely asked me if Macrium Reflect UI is allowed to execute werfault.exe.)
OSA did not show any block. The number of blocked processes remained zero. I assume that is because the event took place before OSA GUI finished loading?

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
shmu26 wrote:
"cmd.exe should not be blocked for the average user. If it is, there will be problems right and left."

But this is used by ransomware, so .cmd is an important file extension to block.

I think Windows10 itself uses Powershell, but third-party installers often use CMD in stead of Powershell, so in future there will be less problems by disabling cmd.

@shmu26

Windows uses cmd.exe to update Windows; Average Joe is clueless about what anything is doing. An advanced user can get away with disabling cmd.exe, but it will be more convenient simply to disable .bat and .cmd in User Space and have cmd.exe run with limited privileges.

@Windows_Security

In the vast majority of cases Windows 10 still uses cmd.exe; PowerShell is only used heavily in certain commercial\enterprise environments by IT admins and not by Windows itself. I have no idea why Microsoft chose to replace cmd with PowerShell in the WIN + X menu because cmd.exe is still the go-to choice for the vast majority of home users. Average Joe is just a spectator in all of this.

PowerShell should be disabled by home users if they do not need it.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I think Windows10 itself uses Powershell, but third-party installers often use CMD in stead of Powershell, so in future there will be less problems by disabling cmd.
The only time windows 10 uses powershell is every once in a while, when it is installing and/or updating windows store apps, AFAIK.
But cmd.exe is used by a variety of programs, and not just when they are installing. Also during regular use.
I am speaking of the present time. I agree that Microsoft might use powershell more in the future.

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
The only time windows 10 uses powershell is every once in a while, when it is installing and/or updating windows store apps, AFAIK.
But cmd.exe is used by a variety of programs, and not just when they are installing. Also during regular use.
I am speaking of the present time. I agree that Microsoft might use powershell more in the future.

This is what I figured, I blocked powershell in OSArmor and left cmd.exe unblocked.

D

Deleted member 178

I enabled some of the advanced options (can't remember exactly which ones), and at reboot, werfault recorded an error from Macrium Reflect UI. (I only knew about it because SpyShelter Firewall politely asked me if Macrium Reflect UI is allowed to execute werfault.exe.)
OSA did not show any block. The number of blocked processes remained zero. I assume that is because the event took place before OSA GUI finished loading?
it is about MS Altitude mechanism, since OSA drivers are more recent than SpS; so SpS act before OSA, and OSA has nothing to block.

tiktoshi

Level 5
Verified
Jan 19, 2015
Block file as soon as you change the name xxxxxxxx

2018-01-12_12-25-07.jpg

2018-01-12_12-25-44.jpg

D

Deleted member 65228

Block file as soon as you change the name xxxxxxxx
In all fairness, a file-name like xxxxxxxx.exe is pretty damn suspicious - if you execute that when that was the default file-name without ensuring it is truly genuine and safe then that is 100% begging for an infection. Scrap that, the original file-name before the change is suspicious as well in my opinion.

I like how NVT OSArmor blocked it after the file-name change. (y)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
it is about MS Altitude mechanism, since OSA drivers are more recent than SpS; so SpS act before OSA, and OSA has nothing to block.
I was trying to say that Reflect UI was blocked from doing
I was trying to say something different, sorry I was not clear. I was saying that OSA advanced settings made something go wrong with Macrium Reflect, and I only knew that it went wrong because SpyShelter Firewall's application execution control told me about werfault.

Reactions: simmerskool

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Is it possible that we can view the detail of the pre-defined rules? With a button, such as a "?"
for example, I'm using foxit phantomPDF but according to the UI, OSA only support anti-exploit of Foxit reader, if I'm not mistaken

I want to see how you make a rule for a specific program so we can copy and modify it to suit other similar programs

I created a custom block rule for foxit phantomPDF
[%PARENTPROCESS%: C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit PhantomPDF\FoxitPhantomPDF.exe]

but this blocked the access of foxit phantom to splwow64.exe so I made 2 exclusion rules
[%PROCESS%: C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit PhantomPDF\*] [%PARENTPROCESS%: C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit PhantomPDF\FoxitPhantomPDF.exe]
[%PROCESS%: C:\Windows\splwow64.exe] [%PARENTPROCESS%: C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit PhantomPDF\FoxitPhantomPDF.exe]

Last edited:

NoVirusThanks

From NoVirusThanks
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Aug 23, 2012
Here is a small preview of the new notification dialog:

osarmor-new.png

- You can exclude more easily the events via the "Exclude" button
- The "Exclude" button opens the "Exclusions Helper" GUI with pre-filled fields
- You can open the logs folder via the "Open Logs" button
- You can set the notification dialog to not auto-close and keep it open
- You can manually close the notification dialog via the "X" button on top-right

Will upload the new build tomorrow.

@Evjl's Rain

The Anti-Exploit module uses different rules and additional checks and can't be recreated with custom block-rules.

What we can do in future versions may be to allow user to add new apps inside Anti-Exploit tab.

I will add PhantomPDF to Anti-Exploit tab on the next test build (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.