NoVirusThanks OSArmor

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Once again "like a BB" is not the same as "a BB." It is a subtle difference that you guys will carry across the line.

OSAmor enforces rules that prevent processes from performing unwanted and dangerous actions - among other things.

The difference is this:

The Emsisoft behavior blocker will prevent a weaponized Microsoft Word document from launching PowerShell.exe, cmd.exe, cscript.exe, wscript.exe (and others) in real time whereas OSArmor will not unless the user has enabled that particular setting. OSArmor is not a real-time behavior blocker, but it will achieve most of the same behavior blocker results (deny access to most of the processes) in the case of Microsoft WINWORD.exe and EXCEL.exe IF the user has enabled the setting in OSArmor.
A software needs to be categorised. Let the developer say, ok? If you are the developer of OSArmor I'll agree with you.

Last edited:

A software needs to be categorise. Let the developer say, ok? If you are the developer of OSArmor I'll agree with you.

Although from your perspective you probably think that I am attempting to force you agree with me, actually I am doing no such thing. I am just pointing out a fine distinction between traditional real-time behavior blocker with fully pre-optimized self-managed internal rules and rules-based behavior prevention built upon on\off rules set by the user.

It's no big deal. One is real-time as soon as it is installed the other is enforced as soon as you enable the settings.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@NoVirusThanks can confirm this, but you cannot recreate OSA with ERP rules
Agreed. My post was poorly worded. Manually created ERP rules could accomplish something of what OSA does, but not everything. Furthermore, it is pretty unlikely that a user will figure out all the hard-coded rules in OSA.

When you compared OSA to software restriction, did you have in mind OSA at max settings? Or even at default settings? If the latter, could you explain?

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
FYI... Uninstalling test23 and IOBit Uninstaller identified leftover files...
2018-01-14_20h40_03.png
This is done on purpose so after you uninstall old version and install new you'll still keep your old exclusions, custom block rules & logs.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
This is done on purpose so after you uninstall old version and install new you'll still keep your old exclusions, custom block rules & logs.
That's fine for an over-the-top upgrade/reinstall. For an uninstall you should be prompted whether to keep artifacts. I point that out for the developer's consideration.

EDIT1: Since we're in a testing phase, I would also suggest that removing exclusions and custom block rules between test releases is desirable.

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Yes, we'll discuss about the possibility to add an ask dialog (as an option).

@Sunshine-boy

I've update OSArmor to exclude ESET, hope this will fix it.

But I still think you may need to exclude OSArmor in ESET HIPS.

I know you aren't intending to be a firewall o/c, but could you consider a setting for blocking outbound connections of unsigned and non-windows parent/applications? Kind of a firewall assist that I think would work well for a network. Maybe this would require an extra addition to the exclusion dialog so idk. Crossed my mind as something you might get a chuckle out of anyway with all the requests coming in...

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

DavidLMO

Level 4
Verified
Dec 25, 2017
EDIT1: Since we're in a testing phase, I would also suggest that removing exclusions and custom block rules between test releases is desirable.

I for one do NOT want all my custom rules & Exclusions removed. Of course I do back them up ... but still. Some folks don't. Regardless - these are settings. When upgrading an app I always want my settings retained.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The latest version consumes about 0.9-1.5% consistently although I'm not doing anything and everything is closed. The PC is left idle for a minute. Not sure what happens
this is the screenshot + the dump file of OSA service if you need
View attachment 178113

I think it's your system. You said the same thing about Heimdal, yet here I sit, watching Heimdal use 0% most of the time. Is your computer really underpowered or something? Remember, CPU % use is largely determined by processor power. For example my Ryzen 7 to use 1.5% a product would have to be using a LOT of resources. If you have a potato dual core, 1.5% is going to happen with virtually everything because it's so slow.

Reactions: given

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I think it's your system. You said the same thing about Heimdal, yet here I sit, watching Heimdal use 0% most of the time. Is your computer really underpowered or something? Remember, CPU % use is largely determined by processor power. For example my Ryzen 7 to use 1.5% a product would have to be using a LOT of resources. If you have a potato dual core, 1.5% is going to happen with virtually everything because it's so slow.
I have an i7-3630QM. It's not under-power for sure because I checked the power option.
I closed and restarted OSA, then everything is fine. I don't think the Heimdal problem is isolated to my laptop but other users here also noticed the same problem. 1.5% of mine can be equal to 5-10% of the others. I will check it out again after a reboot

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I for one do NOT want all my custom rules & Exclusions removed. Of course I do back them up ... but still. Some folks don't. Regardless - these are settings. When upgrading an app I always want my settings retained.
Test releases aren't "upgrades". They involve bug fixes and enhancements.

Do as you choose, but you may miss changes in the program that affect your system ... and help the developer refine the program. For example, it's possible your exclusions from past releases are no longer required, but you wouldn't see that.

NoVirusThanks

From NoVirusThanks
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Aug 23, 2012
Here is a new v1.4 (pre-release) (test25):
http://downloads.novirusthanks.org/files/osarmor_setup_1.4_test25.exe

*** Please do not share the download link, we will delete it when we'll release the official v1.4 ***

So far this is what's new compared to the previous pre-release:

+ On Configurator -> Settings -> Enable internal rules for allowing safe behaviors (checked)
** The above option was requested by a company so they can disable it and use only their exclusions **
** We highly recommend to any user to keep the above option always checked **
+ On Configurator -> Settings -> Set notification window always on top (checked)
+ On Configurator -> Advanced -> Block reg.exe from disabling UAC (unchecked)
+ On Configurator -> Advanced -> Block execution of processes on Public Folder (unchecked)
+ On Configurator -> Advanced -> Block processes executed from RuntimeBroker (unchecked)
+ On Configurator -> Advanced -> Block execution of SubInACL.exe (unchecked)
+ On Configurator -> Advanced -> Block execution of Shutdown.exe (unchecked)
+ On Configurator -> Advanced -> Block execution of At.exe (unchecked)
+ Added new internal rules to block suspicious processes
+ Many fixes and improvements

Here are two new videos:
Another XLS (Excel) Payload Blocked by OSArmor
Request.doc Exploit Payload Blocked by OSArmor

@Evjl's Rain

We improved a few things on test 25 and it should use less CPU when checking a process.

But please note that sometimes (i.e when processes are executed) it may use from 1 to max 10% of CPU for 1 second (or similar).

That is because it makes some internal checks to validate the process signature, etc.

As long as the CPU goes back to 0% there are no issues (nothing to worry about).

However, we may further improve this in the next version by implementing a caching system.

@l0rdraiden

Not yet, we've just remained to co-sign the driver with MS and then v1.4 should mostly be ready for the release.

@AtlBo

Adding firewall is not in the plan, but we may add DLL and Registry protection (from SOB and Registry Guard technology).

However, what will then be hard, would be to maintain things easy, so we'll need to discuss about that.

@Telos

It is done on purpose because since we release frequent builds an user may forget to backup the .db files or settings.

it's possible your exclusions from past releases are no longer required, but you wouldn't see that.

Yes, we already incorporated some whitelist rules internally, i.e Sandboxie now doesn't require you to exclude the cmd.exe command-line to delete the Sandbox folder.

@Lockdown

I would personally categorize OSArmor as an hybrid, both a BB-like and SRP-like with toggable protection options and with the possibility to create custom block\exclusion rules. On a few options we use BB-like rules, i.e on "Block suspicious processes" or "Block suspicious Explorer.exe behaviors" (based on multiple checks + process activity\behavior analysis) and in other rules we use SRP-like rules, i.e "Block execution of AT.exe" (do just that action: restrict At.exe from being executed). We could have made it without options and ready-to-use using only internal rules, but we wanted to offer the user the possibility to choose what to enable\disable (this was also a request by a few users and businesses).

//Everyone

We noticed an issue when switching from Admin->LUA->Admin:

- Power on the PC and select the Admin account (OSArmor icon is present)
- Switch to a LUA user (OSArmor icon is present)
- Switch back to Admin user (OSArmor icon is not present)

We'll fix this on the next build.

Last edited:

@NoVirusThanks

Yes I know you're using internal smart rules to block very specific process behaviors while in other cases simply using disable rules - dependent upon the specific protection needs.

The point I was making in your thread to specific users was that "BB-like" does not equate to "pure behavior blocker" which is essentially what some users are thinking and\or promoting on the forums.

When I pointed that out some individuals were perturbed and offended to no end - as if I violated their personal space in some very offensive manner. Such is the nature of these forums.

NoVirusThanks

From NoVirusThanks
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Aug 23, 2012
You're welcome and no problems :) Yes I agree, a complete and pure behavioral blocker would also monitor\block all behaviors, like writing to a folder, changing a registry entry, deleting a folder, loading a DLL, loading a driver, deleting a file, etc. OSArmor monitors and blocks suspicious processes behaviors ("process-behavioral-blocker"?) to prevent the malware infection.

Last edited:

l0rdraiden

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
You're welcome and no problems :) Yes I agree, a complete and pure behavioral blocker would also monitor\block all behaviors, like writing to a folder, changing a registry entry, deleting a folder, loading a DLL, loading a driver, deleting a file, etc. OSArmor monitors and blocks suspicious processes behaviors ("process-behavioral-blocker"?) to prevent the malware infection.

Do you think it would be a good idea add this functionality to OSArmor?
GitHub - AndyFul/ConfigureDefender: Utility for configuring Windows 10 built-in Defender antivirus settings.
ConfigureDefender/ConfigureDefender1.png at master · AndyFul/ConfigureDefender · GitHub
ConfigureDefender/ConfigureDefender2.png at master · AndyFul/ConfigureDefender · GitHub
ConfigureDefender/ConfigureDefender3.png at master · AndyFul/ConfigureDefender · GitHub
Maybe things like UAC control, WF status can be added as well

It would be like a tab in OSArmor con configure/enforce the security settings already available in windows. Everything in one place, in addition OSArmor could alert or prompt for any change in those settings if the change haven't been triggered by OSArmor.

I think this request fits with the name a purpose of OSArmor :)

EDIT: I just notice that @Andy Ful is the dev and he is on the forum. Nice work Andy

Last edited:

Daniel Keller

Level 2
Verified
Dec 28, 2016
It would be like a tab in OSArmor con configure/enforce the security settings already available in windows.

I know this is not my decision but I just wanna mention, that this seems not to fit the goals of OSA. OSA want to be an additional layer of security independently from the AV you choose. ConfigureDefender helps configure windows settings which - at least most of them - only make sense if you choose WD as you main AV solution. So, the scope of ConfigureDefender is not the same as OSA.

If you wanna use WD as your main AV ConfigureDefender is great and I recommend to use it in addition to Hardconfigurator which is also developed by @Andy Ful .
As it seems for now OSA could be added to this configuration as well...

Just my two cents...;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.