NoVirusThanks

From NoVirusThanks
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Aug 23, 2012
Here is a new v1.4 (pre-release) (test26):
http://downloads.novirusthanks.org/files/osarmor_setup_1.4_test26.exe

*** Please do not share the download link, we will delete it when we'll release the official v1.4 ***

So far this is what's new compared to the previous pre-release:

+ On Configurator -> Advanced -> Block unknown processes on Windows folder (unchecked)
+ Minor fixes and optimizations

To install it, first uninstall the previous build, then reboot (not really needed but may help), and install test 26.

"Block unknown processes on Windows folder" should be pretty solid and should not generate false positives.
Should also work fine with Windows Updates.

@l0rdraiden

Do you think it would be a good idea add this functionality to OSArmor?

I agree with @Daniel Keller on this, it is not the goal of OSArmor:

OSA want to be an additional layer of security independently from the AV you choose.

Of course you can use OSArmor + ConfigureDefender + Hard_Configurator together and without issues :)

@shmu26

Try this:

1) On OSArmor open the Configurator -> Settings -> and check "Enable passive logging (do not block the process, just log the event)"
2) Now try to print to HP fax and if nothing is present in the Logs of OSArmor, then it should not be an issues related to OSArmor.
3) You may additionally try also to uninstall OSArmor, try to print to HP and see if it work.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@shmu26

Try this:

1) On OSArmor open the Configurator -> Settings -> and check "Enable passive logging (do not block the process, just log the event)"
2) Now try to print to HP fax and if nothing is present in the Logs of OSArmor, then it should not be an issues related to OSArmor.
3) You may additionally try also to uninstall OSArmor, try to print to HP and see if it work.
Thanks. HP fax works without OSArmor. But I should mention that Windows Defender exploit guard also blocks it.
I wanted to mention that with version 25, I sometimes had problems opening configurator. I also had problems that the system tray icon sometimes would not show. It seemed to have to do with switching between user accounts, but the behavior was inconsistent, so I am not sure about that.

Last comment: I deleted NVT from program folders before installing version 25, but it still remembered my customizations in the advanced tab. They disappeared when I clicked on default settings button.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It should be noted that Hard_Configurator and ConfigureDefender are not real-time security applications like OSArmor. They are used only on demand to 'configure / view / troubleshoot' some built-in Windows features.
Those built-in Windows features like SmartScreen, SRP and some other Windows policies, give the real-time protection.
OSArmor depends on its own kernel driver which monitors what is happening in the system in the real time.
For most people who are using Defender on Windows 10 Home, I would recommend configuring it with ConfigureDefender (or stay on defaults) and use OSArmor as additional real-time security.
Only minority of users will like default-deny + forced SmartScreen security, applied via Hard_Configurator settings, because such setup is far more restrictive than the previous one.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
After installing version 26, I put it in passive mode. No logs were created.
Then I disabled passive mode, and for some reason, I could not get OSA to block anything.
I ticked powershell, but it ran. I ticked cmd.exe, but it ran. I ticked appdata, but it ran.
I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, reverted to default settings, no luck. Can't get it to block anything. Weird.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
After installing version 26, I put it in passive mode. No logs were created.
Then I disabled passive mode, and for some reason, I could not get OSA to block anything.
I ticked powershell, but it ran. I ticked cmd.exe, but it ran. I ticked appdata, but it ran.
I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, reverted to default settings, no luck. Can't get it to block anything. Weird.
Really strange. No issues on my computer.
Probably, something blocks OSArmor on your computer???

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Really strange. No issues on my computer.
Probably, something blocks OSArmor on your computer???
Can't figure out what could block it. I am running Windows Defender and Appguard. Neither of them are known to interfere with OSA as far as I know. I also have Avast free in passive mode (no active protection). Maybe that is the culprit?

Reactions: AtlBo and Andy Ful

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Can't figure out what could block it. I am running Windows Defender and Appguard. Neither of them are known to interfere with OSA as far as I know. I also have Avast free in passive mode (no active protection). Maybe that is the culprit?
So it turns out it was Avast free in passive mode. That was kind of unexpected. Now OSA is working again.

DavidLMO

Level 4
Verified
Dec 25, 2017
So it turns out it was Avast free in passive mode. That was kind of unexpected. Now OSA is working again.

On 2 or 3 occasions I have wondered why something did not work as expected. On each time, I ended up discovering it was Avast Free too. There are so many settings it helps to review them from time to time. Trouble is, it can be hard to determine what caused the blockage - particularly when you are running numerous Security apps, as I do.

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I had a conflict last week between Avast free and OSArmor. I was running Avast free in passive mode, and it was preventing OSArmor from actually blocking the things it is supposed to block. You would only know if you tested it, because everything "looked" as if it was running properly.

@NoVirusThanks
1. What do you think of the above reply from our respected member @shmu26?
2. Have you tried to find any solution in the upcoming pre-release? Thanks
:)

@Evjl's Rain
Do you have any solution for this issue bro? As far as I aware; I think you faced the same issue a couple months ago with Comodo Firewall and you fixed that by adding an exclusion for Comodo Firewall in Avast's settings ;) I would greatly appreciate it if you could teach us a way to fix that issue. Thanks

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
There appears to be a bug with OSArmorDevUI when switching between standard user accounts.
When I switch from standard user account A to standard user account B, without signing out from A, the result is that OSArmorDevUI does not start in B. When I go back to A, OSArmorDevUI is gone also from A.
The protection continues to work, but without prompts.

OSA 26 + Win 10 x64 RS3 + Appguard + Windows Defender (high settings).

If I add either Voodooshield or ERP 3 to the mix, the situation gets worse. Once I start switching back and forth between user accounts, the protection stops, and OSA also forgets my settings, and sometimes OSA becomes corrupted.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Evjl's Rain
Do you have any solution for this issue bro? As far as I aware; I think you faced the same issue a couple months ago with Comodo Firewall and you fixed that by adding an exclusion for Comodo Firewall in Avast's settings ;) I would greatly appreciate it if you could teach us a way to fix that issue. Thanks
now, I'm not using avast anymore until they fix high memory usage and stop bugging the AV. Then I will comeback
perhaps, disabling hardware virtualization and adding exclusion in settings + behavior shield can fix the issue?
I never use passive mode so I'm a bit clueless

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
uninstalled it after 5 minutes since it blocked legitimate software as well.
Okay, but it is so easy to make exceptions. It is even easier than uninstalling.
Not only that, if you tell @NoVirusThanks what was blocked, he will probably write an exception right into the code of the program, in the next build.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.