Advice Request NPE detection - Microsoft.PowerShell\"ExecutionPolicy"

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello
NPE detected a threat on my PC.
I'm wondering if it is a false positive or a malware ?

File Thumbprint - SHA:
Not Available

NPE1.PNG

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
It's not false positive but not malicious either. It's rather a security issue/hole. A program that you've installed probably changed the default restriction policy and this should be reverted back to the default restricted value. To fix it,
Run Powershell as administrator then type/copy-paste this "Set-ExecutionPolicy restricted -Force" without the quotation mark and hit enter.
This should fix this issue. After this, re-scan with NPE and this would be gone (y)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Do you think Windows users should be using tools such as Norton Power Eraser? Or are there other tools available to find mis-configured OS settings?
Norton Power Eraser actually looks for registry modification that could've potentially be done by malwares. So it won't find all the mis-configured settings. I'm not sure if there are programs that can do so because a lot of modification can be done by a user which are not dangerous. ESET has a tool called "System cleaner" built into their product that can revert all the system settings back to the default value but this is recommended only if the system was infected. There's "sfc /scannow" that can fix some corrupt system files. The best thing to do is to keep a system image backup of a clean, stable system and if something goes wrong then revert back to it.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Do you think Windows users should be using tools such as Norton Power Eraser? Or are there other tools available to find mis-configured OS settings?

I think you should only be using power cleaning tools like Norton Power Eraser or similar products if you strongly suspect your system was already compromised by malware. For example, if you executed malware and your AV didn't react to it (hopefully in the context of malware testing!). Or you're asked to help clean up a family member's machine, etc.

NPE and similar tools will scrutinize your system for any sort of unusual configuration that could be indicative of malware, but it could also be indicative of a variety of normal actions that people take. For example, you might've run some PowerShell script for changing hidden power management settings or other things that resulted in changing your execution policy.

I think it's more important to understand why the setting originally changed...

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Kaspersky Security Cloud (Free) has a check (scan) for weak/unsafe settings and Windows troubleshooting.
Both look for and can correct mis-configured OS settings.
Weak settings control in the operating system:
Microsoft Windows Troubleshooting Wizard:
The first runs always or if disabled on demand.
The second is advised to run after an infection is removed but is also great to run after a fresh install of Windows to check for (other) potentially unsafe settings.

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
JB- Before assuming a FP, try this:

1). Go to All Programs and open WindowsPowershell\WindowsPowerShell
2). in the window that opens type:

get-executionpolicy

You should get a result that says Restricted

If you don't, something may have changed the default Policy.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I think you should only be using power cleaning tools like Norton Power Eraser or similar products if you strongly suspect your system was already compromised by malware.
Indeed. And users are probably best served not to use boutique or aqgressive programs like NPE unless they fully understand how they work and are able to make qualified judgments. Better to use apps suited to skill level, or learn the hard way.

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Hello
NPE detected a threat on my PC.
I'm wondering if it is a false positive or a malware ?
png_6305.png
Um, stand alone NPE or built in Norton NPE ?
I had similar a while back:
png_6306.pngpng_3824.pngpng_3825.pngpng_3826.pngpng_3827.png
as I recall:
I created a Restore Point before FIX NOW expecting that NPE would not create a Restore Point with FIX NOW.
FWIW ~
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/684564/repeatedly-finding-same-threat/
https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-power-eraser-recurrent-powershell-problem

Last edited:

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
And as a second opinion scanner NPE is certainly not the cats-meow.

Hello Cruelsister,

What are your current recommended free second opinion scanners?

At this time I have Malwarebytes AdwCleaner, which is for PUPs mostly (I wish that it was more general purpose like a portable version of Malwarebytes), and I am looking to replace Norton Power Eraser (I do not like how you have to manually download new versions from their website, how there are two scans instead of just one unified one, and like AdwCleaner there is no context menu scan option unfortunately).

Thank you,
-John Jr

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
JB- Before assuming a FP, try this:

1). Go to All Programs and open WindowsPowershell\WindowsPowerShell
2). in the window that opens type:

get-executionpolicy

You should get a result that says Restricted

If you don't, something may have changed the default Policy.
Thanks @cruelsister
I get "unrestricted":(
What can I do ?
1.PNG

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
What's NPE version # ?
View attachment 241318
Um, stand alone NPE or built in Norton NPE ?
I had similar a while back:
View attachment 241319View attachment 241314View attachment 241315View attachment 241316View attachment 241317
as I recall:
I created a Restore Point before FIX NOW expecting that NPE would not create a Restore Point with FIX NOW.
FWIW ~
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/684564/repeatedly-finding-same-threat/
https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-power-eraser-recurrent-powershell-problem
Thanks @bjm_
I is the same version like you.
2.PNG

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.