Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Nice config here!
You can replace Adblock plus with uBlock Origin, that does much more than ad-blocking (malware and badware URL blocking, privacy filters etc).
Zemana Anti-malware can be a great addition to your on-demand scanners list, against or along your MBAM.

btw people i like to point that in a very rarely once in a blue moon that i test malware,i test if my mom is not sure about a file.
Well, then that shouldn't be called malware testing. You're just checking the safety of unknown files.

Reactions: Amelith Nargothrond

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Nice config here!
You can replace Adblock plus with uBlock Origin, that does much more than ad-blocking (malware and badware URL blocking, privacy filters etc).
Zemana Anti-malware can be a great addition to your on-demand scanners list, against or along your Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

I agree, i also switched to uBlock from Adblock, and i must say it was really a nice addition. Did my homework, did some basic tests and i am very pleased with the results.

Reactions: Parsh

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I agree, i also switched to uBlock from Adblock, and i must say it was really a nice addition. Did my homework, did some basic tests and i am very pleased with the results.
UBO does decent blocking of badware and some malware domains. But even after enabling all blocking lists, it won't provide superb blocking like the famous AV URL blocking addons. It's that something will be better than nothing and UBO is rich with many other blocking options. Definitely his GData IS should do good blocking first.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Everything is well configured.

We all know that Ublock is aggressive yet effective in adblocking capabilities compare to Adblock Plus; although it's up to the user's preferences since the filter use by each other are almost identical.

Reactions: Parsh

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If I recall correctly, he runs malware samples sanboxed in Sandboxie.
I'm not making the argument that Sandboxie is sufficient, but instead just pointing out a detail in his security configuration.
Yes I saw that
i only test the nasty malware in a VM but for malware not doesn't cause harm to system 32 and running in a Sandboxie it be my host pc.
All malware is nasty and SBIE is not the same as a Virtual Machine.
I guess it is just my opinion and those who test samples in the HUB.
Nevertheless we want to stress this point for the members here that this should always be done in a virtual environment.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Yes I saw that

All malware is nasty and SBIE is not the same as a Virtual Machine.
I guess it is just my opinion and those who test samples in the HUB.
Nevertheless we want to stress this point for the members here that this should always be done in a virtual environment.

Or, if possible (costly and space hungry), an even better environment, an isolated network with real PCs :)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
@nsm0220 you need to have a look at this post:
Sandboxie is fundamentally less secure by itself on a Windows Vista / 7 (x64 bit) platform due to PatchGuard, which renders Sandboxie incapable of guaranteeing the prevention of services outside the sandboxed environment from connecting to services inside. The x32 bit version isn't hindered by PatchGuard because it doesn't exist on the previous, popular Windows XP, thus it can guarantee isolation.
And I confirmed this issue on other forums as well. The PatchGuard protection can be excluded via a kernel tweak in x64 Windows 7 but the issue remains apparently (info).
So you should test malware in a better secure environment that provides high level of virtualization (software based / hardware assisted virtualization, latter is better) and total containment. Though the quoted post doesn't exactly warn about potential escapes from sandboxie (in Windows 7 64bit), it isn't fully isolated and can be vulnerable.
Sandboxie virtualizes the file system and registry in order to build the sandbox, but this does not make it a virtualization product as such. The aim is isolation and containment, not system virtualization as it would be with full virtualization or light virtualization products we have as alternatives.
And even otherwise, the dreadful samples that can escape sandboxie in anyway can prove to be even deadlier to your host system. Why risk when you have free and safer alternatives?

Last edited:

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
@nsm0220 you need to have a look at this post:

And I confirmed this issue on other forums as well. The PatchGuard protection can be excluded via a kernel tweak in x64 Windows 7 but the issue remains apparently (info).
So you should test malware in a better secure environment that provides high level of virtualization (software based / hardware assisted virtualization, latter is better) and total containment. Though the quoted post doesn't exactly warn about potential escapes from sandboxie (in Windows 7 64bit), it isn't fully isolated and can be vulnerable.
Sandboxie virtualizes the file system and registry in order to build the sandbox, but this does not make it a virtualization product as such. The aim is isolation and containment, not system virtualization as it would be with full virtualization or light virtualization products.
And even otherwise, the dreadful samples that can escape sandboxie in anyway can prove to be even deadlier to your host system. Why risk when you have free and safer alternatives?

Very nicely explained! And also very true!

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Speaking of malware, sandboxes, safe environments (copy&paste):

Evjl's Rain found a malware which bypassed comodo. Submitted 28 minutes ago
Parsh Could you share the setup details in short? Did it not get sb'ed or is it about something else
Evjl's Rain I was testing CCAV in all default settings. The malware has the signature: Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved => whitelisted by comodo. It was neither detected nor sandboxed. Running in full permission. It was a spyware
https://www.hybrid-analysis.com/sam...da5b0d065d668db3f6dd331d357?environmentId=100

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you use SBIE all the time for the Web browsers?

Reactions: JM Safe

nsm0220

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Speaking of malware, sandboxes, safe environments (copy&paste):

Evjl's Rain found a malware which bypassed comodo. Submitted 28 minutes ago
Parsh Could you share the setup details in short? Did it not get sb'ed or is it about something else
Evjl's Rain I was testing CCAV in all default settings. The malware has the signature: Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved => whitelisted by comodo. It was neither detected nor sandboxed. Running in full permission. It was a spyware
https://www.hybrid-analysis.com/sam...da5b0d065d668db3f6dd331d357?environmentId=100
Im glad i dint use Comodo for my config.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Im glad i dint use Comodo for my config.
Maybe this extension to the previous conversation will make you rethink about Comodo products (and their differences) :)
Screenshot_2017-03-30-09-31-21-753_com.android.chrome.png

nsm0220

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Well i had to say goodbye to Malwarebytes after their latest version was a RAM hog,but i did find a replacement Toolwiz Time Freeze 2017.I also turn on the UAC as well but only don't dim my desktop.

Last edited:
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Game Of Thrones

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2014
good choice for gdata. in attention to details about proactive detection gdata is one of the best, their software is really good considering their size of company with other security company's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.