NT Five's Security Config

D

Deleted member 178

On top of that, all the current AV vendors will resist because they probably stand to lose tons of money if that had to "re-tool" and head in a different direction with their security soft products.

yes i agree, this kind of setup doesn't need yearly necessary updates, do of course less incomes for vendors.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

NT Five

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 11, 2015
However, the perception is that it is too radical, too "difficult," too much of a hassle - for the typical user.
Microsoft should change their way of setting up Windows.

My system normally runs in ramdisk but when I want to install software I boot in filedisk mode so changes are written to the image.
Before I install stuff I first make a backup of my xp.vhd.
Image files are so much better than stupid system partitions.
It's much more convenient to copy a single file than a whole folder structure, and the copy speed is better too. :)
Microsoft could set up a similar config as the new standard but they won't.

M$ won't change the way they do things because they are afraid to confuse users and they just don't care that much about security.
They just want return on investment and making their OS more secure does not fit the bill in their perspective.
They will only change their security model when forced and there is no pressure at the moment so things will stay the same.

Consumers have become used to antivirus and disinfecting their systems and there is a whole industry that floats on the current blacklisting paradigm so no one really wants to change their ways.

H

hjlbx

Microsoft should change their way of setting up Windows.

My system normally runs in ramdisk but when I want to install software I boot in filedisk mode so changes are written to the image.
Before I install stuff I first make a backup of my xp.vhd.
Image files are so much better than stupid system partitions.
It's much more convenient to copy a single file than a whole folder structure, and the copy speed is better too. :)
Microsoft could set up a similar config as the new standard but they won't.

M$ won't change the way they do things because they are afraid to confuse users and they just don't care that much about security.
They just want return on investment and making their OS more secure does not fit the bill in their perspective.
They will only change their security model when forced and there is no pressure at the moment so things will stay the same.

Consumers have become used to antivirus and disinfecting their systems and there is a whole industry that floats on the current blacklisting paradigm so no one really wants to change their ways.

Of course Windows will change radically in the future - when stock systems have hundreds of GBs of RAM and large capacity SSDs are the norm and HDDs phased-out. Windows will have to change since current versions would then be obsolete. These changes will radically alter the approach to virtualization.

It will be a whole different type of user experience...

Not sure how long that will all take, but I wouldn't count on it anytime within the next decade.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.