Nuclear Powered PC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Would it not be cool to have PC's, and especially laptops, that are powered by a miniature nuclear reactor that consists of a plutonium/uranium core component about a tenth the size of the ball point of a pen? I figure there is so much talk about how computers have toxic components for landfills anyway, so why not? Just throw all outdated nuclear powered PC's in 55 gallon stainless steel drums, and stick them in an old natural gas well, like we do other waste. It would give "Advanced Micro Devices" a whole new meaning.
Furthermore, you can fit a lot of ball points from ink pens into a 55 gallon drum, so maybe the whole PC does not have to go in there.

P

Plexx

Wouldn't there be risks involved even if the size is a tenth of a ball point pen?

My chemistry knowledge ain't that high but something tells me that it would pose some sort of household danger.

I

illumination

Biozfear said:
Wouldn't there be risks involved even if the size is a tenth of a ball point pen?

My chemistry knowledge ain't that high but something tells me that it would pose some sort of household danger.

A lot like the common microwave, used for it's convenience, not really all that safe!

Interesting theory ZOU1, not so sure its applicable, would depend on how the units were cased and with what. ;)

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
But nuclear reactors are just advanced steam engines

I wouldn't want steam anywhere near my PC !

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

Very good point. I am sure we could keep the steam away from the electrical connections. They do it all the time in nuclear electric power plants.

France has proven the safety and efficiency of nuclear power. Without it, they would be in the stone age. We all are striving to be advanced, progressive, and modern, but the world seems to want to mickey mouse around relative to what we need to do to help billions help themselves. Less and less products, such as pc's/cars/houses, on the grid, and an abundance of highly efficient nuclear power as THE GRID, would be a good first step.

Just sayin'. I know it will never happen as long as those ugly windmills and corn fields keep ruining the view. I do like the solar panels though, and they, no doubt, can run a PC.

would depend on how the units were cased and with what.

Unfortunately this is where modern gov't obstructs, and modern private sector R&D drops the ball when it comes to answering these questions. We know it is possible and can be safe. As long as nuclear tipped ICBM's are in the ground and ready to vaporize billions at a moments notice, nothing is too dangerous if it helps the world population live more efficiently, thus less poverty ridden and needy. Now if you are planning to kill 100's of millions of people with nuclear power via ICBM's, that is obviously a different thing altogether. So until the all nuclear weapons are disarmed (which will never happen) I am pro nuclear powered anything.

EDIT: Please excuse me while I plug in my electric car so I can charge the battery with coal.

ultradolby1

Verified
Nov 8, 2012
...the "Flintstone" approach of, a miniature mechanical hamster, (which also runs off the generator), in a miniature hamster wheel turbine, to power the miniature generator, may be a little safer, cleaner, & fun to watch through the little clear cover when there's nothing else to do...

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
..the "Flintstone" approach of, a miniature mechanical hamster, (which also runs off the generator), in a miniature hamster wheel turbine, to power the miniature generator, may be a little safer, cleaner, & fun to watch through the little clear cover when there's nothing else to do...

I like that idea, but beware of PETA. lol :)
Way to think outside the box! Except for the hamster. haha

Your response is the epitome of why I start these kinds of topics; I want to hear all kinds of ideas from broad minds, whether my original idea/opinion is a hybrid component of yours, or your ideas/opinions are something totally different altogether, yet attempting to justify the same end.
It is difficult to stimulate debate these days without offending.
Debate = clear thoughts and new ideas, not being obsessed with an individuals thoughts or beliefs to the point of silent disgust, or a tyrannical obstruction of the entire topic.

Thanks for chiming in. :)

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
Allowing anyone who wants it, to buy a tiny nuclear reactor for their PCs would never happen anyway, imagine how many terrorists would suddenly become interested in stocking and supplying the reactors "for PCs"

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
ZOU1 said:

Very good point. I am sure we could keep the steam away from the electrical connections. They do it all the time in nuclear electric power plants.

Looking forward to having cooling tower chimneys sticking out the top of my system belching out steam

And you would need a constant supply of water too, so connect your PC to the water mains, attach some chimneys and enjoying becoming a nuclear scientist to continuously monitor the core reactor 24/7 ;)

Never shutdown your machine ever again or you risk meltdown in your living room / bedroom

"Fire department" - So how did the fire start son?

"Erm... I forgot to retract the rods when windows bluescreened"

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Allowing anyone who wants it, to buy a tiny nuclear reactor for their PCs would never happen anyway, imagine how many terrorists would suddenly become interested in stocking and supplying the reactors "for PCs"

That is already a reality, and I doubt Iran would be planning to wipe Israel off the map via a pile of computers with nuclear micro devices in them when all the have to do is keep the UN out and produce their weapons via multiple nuclear facilities, which is exactly what is happening.

I was thinking more of 2013 model computers having them installed, not having the engines available independently, but I see your point.

Good and bad can be done with everything. A small pox lab is trying to help make new vaccines, but how secure is that? It is not all that much different. All it takes is one buyer to sling small pox all over creation, not a host of consumers looking for new computers that are green.

I just wish we would be more innovative instead of making excuses because the "bad guys" will do bad thing with whatever they can get there hands on, or how a politician likes to campaign about how adversely any given potential solution might affect envirnomental concerns or safety. I feel like it is holding us back, like we will hit a wall, and then we are stuck with Iphone 5's and nothing to charge them with because 8 billion people are just too much of a load on respective infrastructures, esp. politically and environmentally correct ones.

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
ZOU1 said:

That is already a reality, and I doubt Iran would be planning to wipe Israel off the map via a pile of computers with nuclear micro devices in them when all the have to do is keep the UN out and produce their weapons via multiple nuclear facilities, which is exactly what is happening.

I was thinking more of 2013 model computers having them installed, not having the engines available independently, but I see your point.

Good and bad can be done with everything. A small pox lab is trying to help make new vaccines, but how secure is that? It is not all that much different. All it takes is one buyer to sling small pox all over creation, not a host of consumers looking for new computers that are green.

I just wish we would be more innovative instead of making excuses because the "bad guys" will do bad thing with whatever they can get there hands on, or how a politician likes to campaign about how adversely any given potential solution might affect envirnomental concerns or safety. I feel like it is holding us back, like we will hit a wall, and then we are stuck with Iphone 5's and nothing to charge them with because 8 billion people are just too much of a load on respective infrastructures, esp. politically and environmentally correct ones.

Yea but there is a HUGE difference between extremist groups being able to purchase nuclear material via some major black market with millions of dollar deals, and the average joe walking into a computer shop and buying it for a few hundred dollars

Plus nuclear material is not only good for energy or weapons, look at that spy (I forget his name) who was poisoned with some toxic metal in his tea and spent days or weeks dying an agonising death in hospital

There is no way on Earth that the average joe will ever be able to walk into a store and buy anything nuclear/radioactive (internet, and glow in the dark ancient watch dials excluded ;) )

Its a neat idea, and would save a fortune for us once it was running, if we could run it and keep it stable, unlikely, I think the closest next best you will find is solar or diesel generator

ultradolby1

Verified
Nov 8, 2012
Detection said:
ZOU1 said:

Yea but there is a HUGE difference between extremist groups being able to purchase nuclear material via some major black market with millions of dollar deals, and the average joe walking into a computer shop and buying it for a few hundred dollars

Plus nuclear material is not only good for energy or weapons, look at that spy (I forget his name) who was poisoned with some toxic metal in his tea and spent days or weeks dying an agonising death in hospital

There is no way on Earth that the average joe will ever be able to walk into a store and buy anything nuclear/radioactive (internet, and glow in the dark ancient watch dials excluded ;) )

Its a neat idea, and would save a fortune for us once it was running, if we could run it and keep it stable, unlikely, I think the closest next best you will find is solar or diesel generator

...how 'bout a "wind/crank" system like those radios - or better yet, like those shake flashlights - imagine that, shaking the crap out'ta your laptop or tablet like a etch-a-sketch, just to keep it going...

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
ultradolby1 said:
Detection said:
ZOU1 said:

...how 'bout a "wind/crank" system like those radios - or better yet, like those shake flashlights - imagine that, shaking the crap out'ta your laptop or tablet like a etch-a-sketch, just to keep it going...

lol, yea that would be very cool, but I think to be able to wind something powerful enough to keep a laptop alive it would take a LOT of shaking! But for free electric I would give it a shot

I wish solar would become 10x more efficient and 10x cheaper, solar would be a great alternative power source if things improved 10 fold

Chances are it already is, but knowing "The ones who are" in control, they won't give us free energy any time soon

I

illumination

Solar, would be a good way to go. One would think with the solar panels already in circulation for say,
water pumps/wells, would be a good place to start. Certain panels can be maintained without the use of rechargeable batteries, just a straight flow of electric while the sun is out, and no flow when its dark.
So one would have to curb their late night surfing ;) :D

D

Deleted member 178

You dreamed it, Umbra Corporation did it

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/118813526/Nuclear-Batteries---PDF#viewer-area

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/25026470/NanoNuclear-Batteries

s52RV.jpg

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
So one would have to curb their late night surfing

I think I will have to go the nuclear route, based on that. I guess I could put a mini windmill in my yard. hehe

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
The Umbra Corporation makes everything! It is like the Hitachi/Mitsubishi (recent merger) of the West.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
illumination said:
A lot like the common microwave, used for it's convenience, not really all that safe!

Microwaves are not radioactive... Microwave radiation is radio frequency radiation. Not harmful unless you're inside the microwave. ;)

The big problem I could see with PC's powered by fusion would be that in all likelihood, the radioactive material would not be properly disposed of. (assuming a self-contained unit could be designed that would not melt down)

I

illumination

HeffeD said:
illumination said:

Microwaves are not radioactive... Microwave radiation is radio frequency radiation. Not harmful unless you're inside the microwave. ;)

The big problem I could see with PC's powered by fusion would be that in all likelihood, the radioactive material would not be properly disposed of. (assuming a self-contained unit could be designed that would not melt down)

Im not referring to outside of it being harmful, but what it does to food in general..

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.