User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro Beta 3.1.0.0
NoVirusThanks OSArmor 1.4 (test 68)
SpyShelter Premium 11.1 (Trial)
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Windows Defender, EmsiSoft Emergency Kit, Malwarebytes Rootkit Removal, ESET online scanner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Edge: Unused
Google Chrome Version 66.0.3359.181:
(All extension up-to-date)
Google Docs Offline, HTTPS Everywhere, LastPass: Free Password Manager Lookup, Random User-Agent, Session Buddy, Tab Suspender, uBlock Origin (Almost all filter activated), ScriptSafe (reactive), Docs, Sheets, Slides
Deactivated Chrome-Extensions:
Honey (Will only be activated to try it out), Midnight Lizard
Maintenance tools
None
File and Photo backup
"Google Backup and Sync" syncs my Documents folder to Google Drive. It doesn't run all the time so that it doesn't backup suddenly encrypted files when I get hit by Ransomware, for example.
System recovery
Macrium Reflect 7.1 Free
(Will start using it after I fixed my current issues)

NulFunction

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 2, 2018
Very interesting. But if you don't want to tell me why I'm "at risk" or what that means, what's the point of this subsection? Umbra said he is not going to tell me what's wrong with my config.

---
Note that I made changes a second ago. Since my recent issues with Windows where I destroyed something with W10Privacy, I've seen that I really should use an imaging software. I'm going to follow Umbras example with one Image at the very start and then one Image after latest Upgrade, as well as maybe a third one more frequently. (Good thing is my windows installation is only about 70 to 80GB big)
I relied on system restore points. Unfortunately in the last days I've seen that they can also break to non-functionality.
Changes are:
- I no longer use ZAL since I found out that it is actually just ZAM without much AL in it
- I try SpyShelter at the moment.

Reactions: harlan4096

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Very interesting. But if you don't want to tell me why I'm "at risk" or what that means, what's the point of this subsection? Umbra said he is not going to tell me what's wrong with my config.
You have been suggested by different users insistently about one matter which is clear :)

You are not in danger now, but Your config could be more complete and safer ;)

NulFunction

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 2, 2018
Safety is no "yea you'll figure it out eventually" matter. Why are you not telling me?
Because of your secrets I'll give you the rating ... "At risk"

BTW using an imaging software was the last thing ppl suggested. (In reality this brings no addition to safety, only comfort)
But ok, I'll go through the thread again ...

NulFunction

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 2, 2018
I've done it. No things to do for me. You sure you keep up with my changes? :p
EDIT2: Well except formatting and reinstalling windows to get a fresh image without non-working system restore/DISM/SFC.
EDIT: I dont' care if any forum thread is blinking red or green. I just want to know how to increase safety or improve generally.
Your policy of keeping secrets (Why you get Basic or Moderate risk) in the believe that people care more about some thread than safety, is actually hindering safety.

D

Deleted member 178

We are here to teach people; some knows, some don't know, some think they know.

The rating are made in such way beginners can be informed if the config they read is safe or not (from a beginner standpoint).
Some members here are very knowledgeable/experienced and use "risky" setups (if replicated by beginners), so they still got the "risky" badge despite i know they won't have any issues because of their skills.

The badge is not only about you, it is also about people reading your setup.

Enjoy :)

NulFunction

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 2, 2018
Inappropriate Behaviour
I see. That's why you think Default-Deny is enough protection. Yet it's extremely risky because you never know if the allowed app got switched with malware. For example: The CCleaner malware that got distributed over offical patch/website.

[Moderated]

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

I see. That's why you think Default-Deny is enough protection. Yet it's extremely risky because you never know if the allowed app got switched with malware. For example: The CCleaner malware that got distributed over offical patch/website.
if you use Default-deny solutions, you are supposed to know how to check if an installer is legit or not.
In my setup, the malicious Ccleaner installer won't even be able to run on my system.

NulFunction

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 2, 2018
You say that and yet at the time there was no protection against it. (CCleaner was just an example. If you would not even have run a clean CCleaner or not is irrelevant)

D

Deleted member 178

You say that and yet at the time there was no protection against it. (CCleaner was just an example. If you would not even have run a clean CCleaner or not is irrelevant)
if you can't install it , you can't be infected? got it?

Reactions: harlan4096

NulFunction

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 2, 2018
Why would you not install a new update for your software? EDIT: ANY software

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
My guess is the use of these Privacy tools.

Anyway. Look here about the AntiLogger and what I believed it to be: ZEMANA Information Technologies | AntiLogger
Unfortunately it seems that it has changed horrendously.
I was going to ask in my previous, but assumed you used the latest version, because Zemana Anti-Logger Pro was replaced a long time ago.
I specifically wanted something that zero-day-blocks keylogger. I understand that no normal AV does that.
HitmanPro.Alert Ransomware Scanner, Anti-Exploit Tool | Download HMP.Alert with CryptoGuard | hitmanpro.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack and harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.