User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro Beta 3.1.0.0
NoVirusThanks OSArmor 1.4 (test 68)
SpyShelter Premium 11.1 (Trial)
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Windows Defender, EmsiSoft Emergency Kit, Malwarebytes Rootkit Removal, ESET online scanner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Edge: Unused
Google Chrome Version 66.0.3359.181:
(All extension up-to-date)
Google Docs Offline, HTTPS Everywhere, LastPass: Free Password Manager Lookup, Random User-Agent, Session Buddy, Tab Suspender, uBlock Origin (Almost all filter activated), ScriptSafe (reactive), Docs, Sheets, Slides
Deactivated Chrome-Extensions:
Honey (Will only be activated to try it out), Midnight Lizard
Maintenance tools
None
File and Photo backup
"Google Backup and Sync" syncs my Documents folder to Google Drive. It doesn't run all the time so that it doesn't backup suddenly encrypted files when I get hit by Ransomware, for example.
System recovery
Macrium Reflect 7.1 Free
(Will start using it after I fixed my current issues)

NulFunction

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 2, 2018
@NulFunction: please confirm if You are having some issues selecting some options on You profile config, and/or change Your data in the field: Security Testing with Malware, if You are not actually testing malware frequently without any isolation system...
But under it it says: "malware samples". I thought those testfiles were meant since they are essentially samples. They aren't working malware, obviously. If that is not what is meant then who would test his computer with actual malware??

Only thing I cannot change is when there are an uneven amount of check-circles. The lowest one that is alone in a row is then uncheckable. Problematic settings are changing backup to weekly and firewall to windows is for some reason. Someone changed firewall already. :)

D

Deleted member 178

But under it it says: "malware samples". I thought those testfiles were meant since they are essentially samples. They aren't working malware, obviously. If that is not what is meant then who would test his computer with actual malware??
Here we test real malware (from our Malware Hub, called "samples") in Virtual Machines (VMware or Virtual Box) or under Shadow Defender. Nobody uses testfiles ;)

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I use Google Backup and Sync and works fine without Internet Explorer. I haven't had IE installed on Windows 10 since launch and have not experienced any broken sign-in pages.

Do yourself a favour and purge it.

Unfortunately, some university still stuck with IE support. So far I encounter two Uni in Taiwan still recommending IE. True enough it does work well for them. :(

Reactions: oldschool

NulFunction

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 2, 2018
:p

btw I have thrown IE out. I could always reinstall it if anything game braking will happen.
The only thing left in Features is framework stuff.
Can I uncheck ".NET framework 3.5 (includes 2.0 and 3.0)" and (.NET framework 4.7 advanced services)? But: They aren't checked fully. There is the icon for partially checked items. But if I expand them there is nothing checked.
It worries me that I would deinstall something useful, but for some reason secret, if I uncheck them.

I really hate windows' policy to never show the user any useful information ever...

Reactions: harlan4096

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I have no issues editing Your config and selecting radio buttons, so You should have some kind of issues with Your browser :)

About .NET FrameWork 3.5... I would keep it for compatibility with some applications :)

NulFunction

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 2, 2018
I have no issues editing Your config and selecting radio buttons, so You should have some kind of issues with Your browser :)

About .NET FrameWork 3.5... I would keep it for compatibility with some applications :)
Yea... don't know what causes it. I am still getting used to uBlock blocking stuff. (ah, "radio-buttons")

But that .NET stuff in there doesn't sound like it would uninstall the whole .NET framework if I uninstall them. I hate windows.

EDIT:
Oh yeah: Was that malware testing misunderstanding the only thing that'd put this system into "RISK: Danger" mode?
And
as long as I don't install a disk-imaging tool I don't get a "complete" rating? How is this more secure than a fresh install?

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Having an User Agent spoofer can actually be bad & make fingerprinting your browser easier, as it can be detected through javascript via Canvas Fingerprinting. As it's ideal to use something like NoScript to prevent this, then having having an agent spoofer alongside would be beneficial, on it's own with nothing else protecting you from Canvas Fingerprinting, you're more of a target.

On demand scanners have NO realtime function, so they conpliment any realtime software you have present on the system. AV full scans can only go so far as you're using only one engine at the time, where as if you have 2-3 on demand second opinion scanners like Zemana & Emsisoft, you can catch some things your AV scans miss.

You could also use FireFox Quantum instead of Google Chrome, as Chrome takes up a lot of CPU.

~LDogg

NulFunction

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 2, 2018
Having an User Agent spoofer can actually be bad & make fingerprinting your browser easier, as it can be detected through javascript via Canvas Fingerprinting. As it's ideal to use something like NoScript to prevent this, then having having an agent spoofer alongside would be beneficial, on it's own with nothing else protecting you from Canvas Fingerprinting, you're more of a target.

ScriptSafe is blocking Canvas and many other fingerprinting things. (It's basically maxed out on settings. As "Security Protection settings= Custom - Major changes for Increased Security " suggests.)
Also, adding to that, Random User Agent has an option in it's settings "Protect against detection by Javascript (experimental)". I guess it does something similar on it's own.

On demand scanners have NO realtime function, so they conpliment any realtime software you have present on the system. AV full scans can only go so far as you're using only one engine at the time, where as if you have 2-3 on demand second opinion scanners like Zemana & Emsisoft, you can catch some things your AV scans miss.

You could also use FireFox Quantum instead of Google Chrome, as Chrome takes up a lot of CPU.

~LDogg
Oh, ok. I'will get me some scanners.

I use Chrome also because I have Bookmarks and stuff in the cloud. Does FireFox quantum have the same functionality?
On the other hand I could really use more CPU time for 1080/60 videos... I'll google about it. Thanks! :)

NulFunction

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 2, 2018
Good to know you're using it too. :)

I forgot to ask: How do in install Zemana as a second opinion with Windows Defender Realtime protection still enabled? @LDogg

Reactions: oldschool

NulFunction

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 2, 2018
Oh. I tried installing ZAM Free and it deinstalled AntiLogger without notice. So I switched back. I like to keep the AntiLogger because of its functions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changes to Config:
- I just found out about "simplewall" and "TinyWall". I am currently testing which one I'll keep.
- I also found out about W10Privacy, O&O ShutUp and Windows Privacy Tweaker. I used them to deactivate practically everything. So useful! W10Privacy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Umbra, what are you saying about deactivating sending malware samples and malware reports to windows and such things? Should I put these settings back on in order to improve global security by the slightest amount ever? :)

D

Deleted member 178

Umbra, what are you saying about deactivating sending malware samples and malware reports to windows and such things? Should I put these settings back on in order to improve global security by the slightest amount ever? :)
if like me, you don't mind much about privacy/telemetry stuff, you can put those back; it doesn't hurt to have them.

NulFunction

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 2, 2018
That's the setup that automatically uninstalls the antilogger. Umbra was talking about the portable version.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.