nullanon's 3box setup

nullanon

Thread author
Jul 22, 2016
Hello, here's my config. Working on finding a good Windows HIDS/tripwire (free as in price required, as in freedom preferred) to complete my security setup. FOr extra lockdown, only my Windows 7 box is regularly connected to the Internet; I use it to scan and verify downloads before copying to a freshly formatted USB or SD to copy to my other boxes. I also own as Raspberry Pi 3 and Zero, which I connect to my WiFi network through Network Bridge mode on the 7 box and a crossover Ethernet cable.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Great set up @nullanon ...:) It's pretty obvious that you know what you are doing.
I like that your OS updates are manual,although if you were a basic user instead of advanced then i would be recommending otherwise.
I am guessing that of your on-demand scanners that MB is for Windows and Clam is for Linux.
I use Glasswire as a "standalone" HIDS (as I have ZoneAlarm Firewall),so it may be of interest to you in conjunction with Windows Firewall perhaps.

nullanon

Thread author
Jul 22, 2016
Great set up @nullanon ...:) It's pretty obvious that you know what you are doing.
I like that your OS updates are manual,although if you were a basic user instead of advanced then i would be recommending otherwise.
I am guessing that of your on-demand scanners that MB is for Windows and Clam is for Linux.
I use Glasswire as a "standalone" HIDS (as I have ZoneAlarm Firewall),so it may be of interest to you in conjunction with Windows Firewall perhaps.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look at that. I actually do have ClamAV in the form of ClamWin on my Windows box, but I don't use it very often. I really lost it with automatic updates since Microsoft made every other one something to do with GWX, which I do not intend to do.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look at that. I actually do have ClamAV in the form of ClamWin on my Windows box, but I don't use it very often. I really lost it with automatic updates since Microsoft made every other one something to do with GWX, which I do not intend to do.
Cool...I used to have "Immunet" (which uses Clam) as a complementary AV.I liked it but found it heavy,so I replaced it with "Crystal Security"
I feel ya regarding the updates.I did move to W10 in the end (from W8.1) but I still temporarily block OS updates until I have checked forums for "borks" before allowing them through..
Have you considered using "Voodooshield" as an Anti-EXE? I highly recommend it.:)

nullanon

Thread author
Jul 22, 2016
Cool...I used to have "Immunet" (which uses Clam) as a complementary AV.I liked it but found it heavy,so I replaced it with "Crystal Security"
I feel ya regarding the updates.I did move to W10 in the end (from W8.1) but I still temporarily block OS updates until I have checked forums for "borks" before allowing them through..
Have you considered using "Voodooshield" as an Anti-EXE? I highly recommend it.:)

I was just looking at that. I think that would be great for some of the systems I manage for others...

nullanon

Thread author
Jul 22, 2016
Any reason to disable Smartscreen?

My main PC is Win7, so it only has IE Smartscreen and I don't use IE. As for the Win10 box, it is rarely connected to the internet and for the executable component you must "share anonymized information about the programs you download and install". I do use AppLocker on that system to control which programs can run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica

securitydolphin

Level 1
Verified
Jul 22, 2016
If I was to recommend a password manager, LastPass is well-known for their cross-platform support. As an alternative, Master Password is also good if you prefer a decentralized system.

Clamwin can actually be run as a rudimentary real-time scanning system for any downloaded files using Clam Sentinel. It's quite old but it is very effective at doing what it says. It also adds a basic heuristic component to the AV that makes it a great compliment to commercial AVs. Lastly, downloading and utilizing SaneSecurity definitions makes ClamWin a monster at finding zero-hour malware. They provide a script on their website that is trusted.

The Policeman has significant overlap with uBlock Origin, NoScript is preferred instead if you wish to combine the two systems as both cover different holes and increase browser security significantly.

Overall, the system looks fine, the majority of malware won't get through.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
My main PC is Win7, so it only has IE Smartscreen and I don't use IE. As for the Win10 box, it is rarely connected to the internet and for the executable component you must "share anonymized information about the programs you download and install". I do use AppLocker on that system to control which programs can run.
I agree that Advanced users can disable Smartscreen, the job can be done another way :)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.