Nvidia Fanboy Murdered AMD Fan: Jailed for 9.5 Years

Kuttz

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
If you want to see how rampant fanboyism can get out of control, look no further than 31-year-old Russian manager Alexander Trofimov. A dedicated fan of graphics card manufacturer Nvidia, he murdered his 37-year-old friend Yevgeny Lyulin during a heated argument about AMD’s products.

Trofimov was found guilty of the murder earlier this month and will face nine and a half years in jail.

The alcohol-fuelled incident happened on September 16th, 2016. Trovimov went to visit the victim, Lyulin, as part of a professional holiday. The pair had worked together before some years before and were meeting as professional acquaintances.

During the evening the conversation between the two eventually turned to their favourite graphics cards. Lyulin praised AMD’s graphics chips, saying their workstation cards in particular were great for professional graphics modeling. Trofimov disagreed, instead suggesting Nvidia GeForce is the true gamers’ choice. Taking offence at Lyulin’s opinion, Trofimov struck him twice in the head with a kitchen knife before stabbing him a further 11 times. He then burned the body in an effort to cover his tracks.

We’ve all seen fanboyism before but I suspect never quite to this extreme. Actually coming to blows over which graphics card is your favourite really is something else, and definitely demands some perspective. ‘Twas only last week we pondered brand loyalty to gaming hardware manufacturers.

W

Wave

Jesus that is absolutely ridiculous, I give my condolences to the victims family/friends.

Anyway why does it matter what graphics card is used? As long as it does the job and is good enough for the customer then IMO there is no problem with which vendor they choose.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A terrible event, the two persons should exchange better discussion on which two brands exceled most from different categories, since NVIDIA and AMD have targeted points on the flagship.

Unfortunately, being a fanboy will eliminate knowledge and instead increase pride.

W

Wave

What is more disturbing is how does one get only 9.5 years for murder?
Some people have had less than 5 years, some get life sentence. It depends on the judge and the state laws in your location. However based on the details from the article, if it is true and accurate about what happened, I would expect 29 years.

He stabbed the guy 11 times? .... :eek::eek::eek:

"Video games cause violence"
I think it does but not for normal* people. We are normal people, but there are people out there with strange brain mechanics and they are just naturally not right in the head, and it isn't necessarily their fault as it's out of their control, and unless they are diagnosed with mental problems and given proper medication then they can be easily brainwashed and think that the behavior from within GTA 5 is fine for real-life as well. Like with the autistic person who went to my school, I read on the news that he was arrested in the U.S for attempting to kill Donald Trump! (not even kidding he actually went to my secondary school, he was a few years higher than me). But the question is, did it happen because he genuinely wanted to, or did someone brainwash him as he was already vulnerable due to being ill naturally?

ofc that doesn't mean I condone or are trying to excuse any of it. it's not right and shouldn't be right, but what I mean is there are vulnerable people who think differently and can be easily brainwashed due to how different they are in terms of brain workings/mental health :/

(sorry for going a bit of topic) o_O

W

Wave

for kitchen knife it is 9.5 years.
The rule : as many years as was the size of the knife :D;)
I still don't understand why he needed to stab the victim 11 times, I think he was out of control because of his alcohol abuse but that doesn't excuse anything. That might also be why his sentence was reduced compared to the higher ones people get, maybe he genuinely didn't mean to kill the person and really regretted it (since he was abusing alcohol he was out of control of his actions - the more you drink the more your brain shuts down, idk), who knows.

But thanks to that idiot we are 1 person down in the world, 1 person down who probably had a family with kids... tragic. Imagine that, waking up to find out your partner or parent was killed

W

Wave

The judge was a Nvidia fan too ;) lol
I can't even believe the jokes on this thread about such a serious incident but that got me creasing and so did @DardiM's and @Spawn's comment LOL :D :D (no disrespect to the victim)

Wait 9.5 years and there'll be a news article about a revenge killing from one of the victim's family member guaranteed.. it just goes round in a loop like this o_O

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I can't even believe the jokes on this thread about such a serious incident but that got me creasing and so did @DardiM's and @Spawn's comment LOL :D :D (no disrespect to the victim)

Wait 9.5 years and there'll be a news article about a revenge killing from one of the victim's family member guaranteed.. it just goes round in a loop like this o_O
Humor should rules the word, it can avoid to fell depressed for each bad news

Reactions: Wave and Fritz

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Some people have had less than 5 years, some get life sentence. It depends on the judge and the state laws in your location. However based on the details from the article, if it is true and accurate about what happened, I would expect 29 years.

He stabbed the guy 11 times? .... :eek::eek::eek:

I think it does but not for normal* people. We are normal people, but there are people out there with strange brain mechanics and they are just naturally not right in the head, and it isn't necessarily their fault as it's out of their control, and unless they are diagnosed with mental problems and given proper medication then they can be easily brainwashed and think that the behavior from within GTA 5 is fine for real-life as well. Like with the autistic person who went to my school, I read on the news that he was arrested in the U.S for attempting to kill Donald Trump! (not even kidding he actually went to my secondary school, he was a few years higher than me). But the question is, did it happen because he genuinely wanted to, or did someone brainwash him as he was already vulnerable due to being ill naturally?

(sorry for going a bit of topic) o_O
Don't forget the fact that they'd been drinking heavily. I wouldn't doubt that contributed to this, although I don't know the murderer's mental health situation.

Reactions: Wave and DardiM
W

Wave

Don't forget the fact that they'd been drinking heavily. I wouldn't doubt that contributed to this, although I don't know the murderer's mental health situation.
I agree I think the drinking would have contributed but drinking affects everyone differently. Some people get really angry, others feel relaxed and calm. But it depends on abuse as well because normally alcohol abuse (e.g. everyday to feel normal) will more often than not lead to anger problems with alcohol.. but I wouldn't know because I never been in that position lol

Reactions: DardiM

malis2007

Level 2
Verified
Feb 10, 2016
As far as i know, 12 hours in prison is considered a day.
Therefore, each day is considered two..
Conclusion: he will only be in prison for 4.75 years :D

Reactions: DardiM and Wave
W

Wave

I hope it will not work at the prison kitchen: two many knifes
omg :D :D

Next he'll have his own cartel behind the bars for shipping in alcohol haha

I mean let's be realistic, 9.5 years is a long time.. What will he do with his time?
1. Legit work for pay
2. Make a cartel for shipping in alcohol to get contacts from inside (protection) + lots of money so when he gets out he can fly to Dubai and stay under the radar?

Probably #2 once you get in a place like jail it's hard to get out because people are unstable there hence why they are locked up and things like fights/other incidents = increased sentence

Reactions: DardiM

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.