NVIDIA GeForce Hotfix (september 2020)

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
For those running the August 17th NVIDIA drivers (I am one of them), 452.06 WHQL update for NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready , which adds support for Microsoft Flight Simulator, A Total War Saga: TROY, World of Warcraft Shadowlands Beta, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1/2, its recommended that you update to the latest version of NVIDIA drivers, which was released on the 4th of September 2020, since its a hotfix fixing errors from 452.06 WHQL.

Fixes in NVIDIA GeForce 452.22 Hotfix

GeForce Hotfix display driver version 452.22 is based on our latest Game Ready Driver 452.06.

The hotfix addresses the following issues:
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare may intermittently see a drop in frame rate when ray tracing is enabled
  • [Pascal] Marvel's Avengers may crash if alt-tabbing while the game is running
  • [Notebook] Display is not detected when connected to Thunderbolt 3 port on HP Spectre x360 - 15t-df100 Notebook
  • Minecraft Java Edition may crash when launched with XSplit Broadcaster running in the background
Source:

An alternative is to roll back to a previous version of August 17th release but I do not recommend, unless you are already running a previous version.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I don't play games on my PC, so I guess I don't need to install the hotfix, I always install the latest build. Any idea?
I don't think the latest version of the graphics driver is all good, as it can cause problems in some environments. If it doesn't affect safety, I put stability first and update the driver only when something goes wrong.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I don't think the latest version of the graphics driver is all good, as it can cause problems in some environments. If it doesn't affect safety, I put stability first and update the driver only when something goes wrong.
So what's your recommendation? I do download manually the driver for my GeForce GTX 1050Ti via whenever its published a new driver:

So there is no need to download a new drivers if I don't do gaming?
Thanks.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Actually, the latest NVIDIA driver is this now, released today, and includes better stability for the rtx 3xxx cards just released, plus a bunch of game-related fixin's. None of it applies to my gpu. Am I going to install it? Yup. It's downloading now. 610 MBs' worth.

Ever since I used DDU routine in Safe Mode, I have not had a mishap w/NVIDIA drivers. It just doesn't happen. I also don't install GeForce Experience--the NVIDIA spyware that serves me no purpose. I mean, lots of people are against automatically updating the gpu every time and they have their reasons. Me, I think it's a matter of good housekeeping, also since there are rare times security fixes are silently included. Only takes a few minutes every three weeks or so. No biggie.

If you browse online, your gpu is in use. A good compromise would be to wait a week or so to see if any bug reports come up.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
So what's your recommendation? I do download manually the driver for my GeForce GTX 1050Ti via whenever its published a new driver:

So there is no need to download a new drivers if I don't do gaming?
Thanks.
■Fix for vulnerabilities
■Updates to adapt to the latest OS upgrades
If I don't overlook these two points, I think I can freely do the rest according to my environment.

Also, even if something goes wrong and the description of the update does not mention the problem, it may be solved by the latest version of the driver, so it is worth installing the latest version even in such a case.
I'm using Radion, but I'm using the beta driver that was distributed in April.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
@show-Zi Thank you. You are right, but a friend of mine said this:
Indeed, if you have no problem, and no security alert related to those drivers happened (it happened once but was reported on BleepingComputer anyway, so if you keep an eye over here, you should be safe), you don’t really need to update the drivers. Windows will update them if required, anyway.

Any idea?

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
@show-Zi Thank you. You are right, but a friend of mine said this:
Indeed, if you have no problem, and no security alert related to those drivers happened (it happened once but was reported on BleepingComputer anyway, so if you keep an eye over here, you should be safe), you don’t really need to update the drivers. Windows will update them if required, anyway.

Any idea?
Windows updates may deliver old, past third-party drivers. I experienced this when I was doing GeForce.
So it wasn't an update, it was a downdate.o_O

Checking out Bleeping Computer is a good habit.:)(y)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Windows update is quite a lottery regarding drivers... it may give you old drivers or, as happened on my Acer yesterday, give you a BIOS update before the manufacturer update program itself detected it was available. It's always a good idea to check the drivers whenever they are updated via Windows Update.

Last edited:

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
I don't play games on my PC, so I guess I don't need to install the hotfix, I always install the latest build. Any idea?

I usually think like you, until this week, I almost don't game.

About a week ago I'm starting having problems with my new monitor. I do all I can remember to fix the problem, the monitor simply don't turn on in boot randomly and it just came back when unplug HDMI. I save the boot logs, I take all from boot, I uninstall programs, nothing work...

Until I update the AMD ryzen graphic drivers for the laptop. Beside the latest version don't have the support from the manufacturer of my laptop.

Guess what, problem solve, I don't game but drivers correct others errors beside games, this was AMD but can happen with INTEL:

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.9.1 Highlights
Fixed Issues

• A black screen, system crash or TDR may occur while gaming when performing task switches, enabling performance metrics overlay, or having video content/web browsers open on secondary displays on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products system configurations.
  • Project CARS 3™ may experience performance issues when the Radeon Software performance metrics overlay is enabled.
  • Error 1603 may occur during Radeon Software installation on some AMD Ryzen™ 5 Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Graphics system configurations.
  • Error 195 may occur during Radeon Software installation on some AMD Ryzen™ 3 Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics.
  • On some displays, power cycling the display while Radeon FreeSync is enabled may cause the display to remain black until the system is rebooted or the display is hot plugged.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I often see people saying that driver updates are unnecessary and that if it's working it doesn't need updates. But that's not 100% accurate.

Windows uses your graphics drivers, so it may correct problems on your computer when you install an updated version.
Wi-fi card driver updates may bring a more stable/faster connection to wireless networks, I ve seen it happen more than once.
Some driver updates will solve conflicts with security software, I have also seen this happen more than once.

And so on.

Anyway, before a driver update it's a wise decision to back up your system just in case that one driver you are updating will break it.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Drivers and system-related files can be likened to corporate executives. As long as the people in those posts are in a stable position, no problem will occur. However, there are regular personnel changes due to updates. Drivers who haven't had problems in the past may start to behave problematic in new relationships.🏢

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Drivers and system-related files can be likened to corporate executives. As long as the people in those posts are in a stable position, no problem will occur. However, there are regular personnel changes due to updates. Drivers who haven't had problems in the past may start to behave problematic in new relationships.🏢

I think you forgot to mention the drivers that behave as an inmate from Arkham Asylum... Quiet until they find something they don1t like and go full psychopath mode on your system...

Last edited:

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Always worth to wait one update cycle and check patch notes before updating. Due to some performance issues, I started to update one release behind. if for some reason one release has an issue, i roll back 1 to 2 releases until a fix.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Windows updates may deliver old, past third-party drivers. I experienced this when I was doing GeForce.
So it wasn't an update, it was a downdate.o_O

Checking out Bleeping Computer is a good habit.:)(y)
Thank you, so I only will update via Download Drivers | NVIDIA in case such incidents happen like below:

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Windows update is quite a lottery regarding drivers... it may give you old drivers or, as happened on my Acer yesterday, give you a BIOS update before the manufacturer update program itself detected it was available. It's always a good idea to check the drivers whenever they are updated via Windows Update.
My friend said this:
"Windows Update does have older drivers than the manufacturer’s site because Microsoft takes time validating them and pushing them to Windows update. It’s normal. The preferred method is to use the manufacturer’s site, but WU is still useful when the site is not available anymore or you have older devices, for instance."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.