NVT WinUpdateStop

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018

From the website:

This application allows you to manually disable or enable automatic Windows Updates.
Sometimes you may want to stop Windows Updates so you can choose when to download and install new Windows Updates. As you know, Windows Updates are very important but they are also known to occasionally create some incompatibilities or problems with the Operating System and the applications installed. Use this utility to block Windows Updates and re-enable them when you desire.

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
No, not yet. I don't need to disable updates right now but lately, there have been issues with bluescreens, certain printer brands and the latest cumulative so I can def. understand why someone would want to use this, at least temporarily.

You can PM the developer if you want, to offer your idea of the timer. :)

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Have you tried it?

Request to devs: If not included, Add a timer to auto-enable Windows Updates after n time. User configurable time.

Edit: It's not free after 30 days.

If they would add that timer in it, for WD, i would pay. Maybe. But for now Sledgehammer is way better, and free.

Wanting money for this, as is, is ridiculous when there are a lot of programs that does that for free. As simple as.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks @plat1098 (y)
Here are the latest changes:
NoVirusThanks Win Update Stop 1.5 Released
+ Improved support for Windows 10 20H2 64/32-bit
+ By default the program runs in 30-days trial mode
+ Automate product activation via setup.exe command-line /LICENSEKEY=
+ Added option to "Keep Windows Defender updated while updates are disabled"
+ Added option to export/import/reset settings
+ Added option to update program settings from a URL (Enterprise features)
+ Exported program settings can be used in the Enterprise features
+ Added option to auto-update product to new versions
+ Improved procedure to re-enable Windows Updates
+ Fixed freezing of GUI while enabling/disabling Windows Updates
+ Integrated NoVirusThanks License Manager
+ Improved installer/uninstaller script
+ Changed End User License Agreement (EULA)
+ Minor fixes and optimizations
Website
Changelog
Download
Some information from the dev on wilders:
The product is now commercial but it has some advantages: all exe files are always digitally signed, we will add new features (we recently added option to keep Windows Defender up-to-date while Windows Updates are disabled), we introduced Enterprise features (useful to control Win Update Stop from a single location - e.g you can disable or re-enable Windows Updates in thousands of PCs easily), the program can now auto-update to new versions automatically, we fixed all reported issues, we improved internal functions, issues will be fixed faster, etc.

This new version can be installed over-the-top on the old 1.4 version.
A discount code can be found in this wilders post.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Just my two cents:
Why anyone should even consider to purchase a tool to stop Windows-Updates :unsure:
Windows itself offers the option to postpone Windows-Updates for more or less than 30 days even on Windows Home.

OSArmor is fine as paid software, it's always active as real-time protection, anyway it's off-topic ;)

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
what for?

1615817933678.png

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Just my two cents:
Why anyone should even consider to purchase a tool to stop Windows-Updates :unsure:
Windows itself offers the option to postpone Windows-Updates for more or less than 30 days even on Windows Home.

OSArmor is fine as paid software, it's always active as real-time protection, anyway it's off-topic ;)
I was waiting for someone to bring this up.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.