Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Any custom settings for CIS?
Are you using any browser addons?
Did you try Malwarebytes as on-demand scanner?

.Sam.

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 9, 2011
Jack said:
Any custom settings for CIS?
Are you using any browser addons?
Did you try Malwarebytes as on-demand scanner?

Uh for CIS, I've just set everything to normal, didn't change anything, ran a few scans.

For browser addons:
Chrome canary and beta: adblock plus, chrome wheel smooth scroller, search by image (google) , speed dail 2 (chrome beta only) , WOT

Firefox: Stratiform , adblock plus , Super start , WOT , yet another smooth scrolling

Opera: Adblock

Maxthon: No addon (Rarely use Maxthon)
-----------------------------------------------------
I use Malwarebytes sometimes, but for now, no. It depends on situation whether my computer is infected or not.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Real time protection
If you want to increase Comodo Internet Security protection, you can use this guide : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Guide-on-how-to-install-and-configure-Comodo-Firewall

On-demand scanners
Hitman Pro (Trial start when you actually remove infected objects.) - link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free (Free) - link
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free utilizes Malwarebytes powerful technology to detect and remove all traces of malware including worms, trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware and more.

Virtualization:
I don't know if you tried Sandboxie , but you can give it a go , as it's a great program.
Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Always run suspicious of freshly downloaded files in a Sandboxie to verify that he download isn't compromised!Sandboxie will replicate perfectly your operating system so all the files should run without any problems in it.

Last edited:

.Sam.

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 9, 2011
Hey, thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated! I was thinking of installing Malwarebytes too, but will it slow down my system?

My system:
AMD Phenom II X3 720 OC @3200MHz
Gigabyte HD6850 1GB VHD
500GB HDD 100GB free
6GB DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3

My internet speed
1965742038.png

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
NZS92 said:
Hey, thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated! I was thinking of installing Malwarebytes too, but will it slow down my system?

My system:
AMD Phenom II X3 720 OC @3200MHz
Gigabyte HD6850 1GB VHD
500GB HDD 100GB free
6GB DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3

My internet speed
1965742038.png

Malwarebytes Free, is just an on-demand scanner...that means it won't run in real time so it can't slow down your PC
You can use it , to scan your system from time to time or scan your downloaded file!

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
No way you can trust system restore,most of registry and files and folders remain on your machine after system restore.System image and backup is very much trusted step to get rid of situation when u get infected.System restore is old and untrustworthy method

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
NZS92 said:
I use system restore as backup only

I see. Well you could also add WOT, Ghostery and Adblock-Plus to Chrome as well.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Comodo Internet Security is a pretty good solid suite, since your an advance user pop ups were not the problem.

Just configure from the maximum protection as possible and you're good to go.

Also add Toolwiz Timefreeze from virtualization.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
powerful config,you may activate enhanced protection, and add malwarebyte and emisoft antimalware as on demand scanner

D

Deleted member 178

Turning-off UAC is a bad move, set it to max, you will have a pseudo anti-executable for free. When a zero-day Malware will bypass CIS (happened already) you will be happy to have set your UAC to max.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.