Odd Microsoft Screen After Patch Tuesday Update?

PotentialUser

Level 1
Thread author
May 28, 2020
Hey all,

I recently updated my PC with Windows Update for Patch Tuesday. Upon restart, I was shown the login screen. So far, so good. However, once I put in my password and hit ENTER to login, instead of being brought to my desktop, I was shown this screen [URL: ]. I uploaded the image to this post too in case you don’t want to click on the Imgur link.

The two options presented were “Skip for now” and “Continue.” I clicked “Skip for now” and only then did my regular desktop screen load up (the start menu, taskbar, etc.) I restarted my PC a few times since then and all is well; now when I enter my password to log in, it brings me to the desktop like it did before.

I had read this kind of screen can maybe pop up when updating entire builds of Windows from a large update. For example, from version 1903 to 1909. Or from version 1909 to the newest version 2004. Not from a small Patch Tuesday security update where your Windows version stays the same and some small security fixes are applied.

Any idea what’s going on? Is this a legitimate Microsoft pop-up or something nefarious?

Some information:

Edition: Pro (upgraded one of my Home Edition PCs to a Pro license some time ago)

Version: 1909 (haven’t yet received the update for the new version 2004)

Account: Local (I am not signed into any Microsoft/Outlook Account — not on the MS Store either)

Attachments

• F706BDF6-725C-4A07-88BA-4FA1D53127C3.jpeg
    F706BDF6-725C-4A07-88BA-4FA1D53127C3.jpeg
    370.6 KB · Views: 179

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The solution:
If you don’t want Windows 10 to nag you again with these unhelpful full-screen notifications, you can disable the feature by following these steps:
  • Open Settings app from Windows Search or Start menu.
  • Click on System.
  • Navigate to Notifications & actions.
  • In the next screen, uncheck the option that reads “Suggest ways I can finish setting up my device to get the most out of Windows”.
You can also uncheck the other two options “Show me the Windows welcome experience” and “Get tips, tricks, and suggestions” to reduce recommendations and similar prompts on Windows 10.

PotentialUser

Level 1
Thread author
May 28, 2020
That's not usual. Not malware.

It’s not usual but it isn’t malware either? If it’s unusual, any ideas what may have caused it?

I've had that a few times on several computers, nothing to worry about.
Just MS asking for some settings

Thank you; at least someone else has seen this screen before. Hitting “Skip for now” was the right choice? System seems to be running fine but I thought I’d confirm.

The solution:

Thanks for the link Gandalf! Actually, I have that option disabled. I forgot to mention it but yes, I disabled that option many weeks ago when I first clean installed Windows on the PC.

That’s primarily why I’m so confused at seeing this screen. I shouldn’t be seeing it with that option disabled. I also checked to see if it was still disabled (in case a Windows Update turned it on) and it was still disabled! So what the heck.. Thoughts?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I also checked to see if it was still disabled (in case a Windows Update turned it on) and it was still disabled! So what the heck.. Thoughts?
I have those settings off but I get that full-screen nag randomly about once a month. I always click "Skip for now."
not
Exactly, they just keep trying and trying. Like the "We need to fix your M$ account" notification. They are pernicious notifications. You have to hand it to them for the clever ways they come up with to nag you, and the idiocy that goes into planning actual, usable features. The list is endless.

PotentialUser

Level 1
Thread author
May 28, 2020
Just a typo. Not unusual

Ah, I understand. Thank you for clarifying! You put my mind at ease.

I have those settings off but I get that full-screen nag randomly about once a month. I always click "Skip for now."

Perfect; that is exactly what I did. Thanks!

not
Exactly, they just keep trying and trying. Like the "We need to fix your M$ account" notification. They are pernicious notifications. You have to hand it to them for the clever ways they come up with to nag you, and the idiocy that goes into planning actual, usable features. The list is endless.

Pernicious indeed. Completely agree oldschool. Thank you for confirming this is just the usual annoying M$ behavior. I was pretty worried there for a minute but seeing the responses from you all has definitely helped. If only M$ (and other large tech companies) weren't so odd with the way they phrase things, or try to get you to install or agree to something you obviously don't want to. For example, how the "Skip for now" button is multiple font sizes smaller and not highlighted at all; while the "Continue" button is written in large font, highlighted, and boxed so the unassuming user will almost always click on it. Ugh... so frustrating!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.