Off-site backup

JohnJack

Thread author
Apr 18, 2017
I own 2 business. One Computer based consulting and secure off-site backup.

Years ago I had a customer, that we agreed to part ways. In the consulting side. They kept backing up. Then they stopped paying for back up service.

Honestly, it hardly costs me anything to keep them backing up. I left them active, because I figured eventually something would happen..

4 years later, the current computer tech calls, and asks if we have a good backup for this customer. I check, yep, back up is valid and update. Tech wants a copy. I explain, the customer owes ~4yrs in past due. ~$4600 or so.

Customer is disputing the past owed. They want the backups, for fee.

I have discovered they got hit by a crypto type ransom ware. They lost everything... well, not really as I have a valid current backup.

Should I just give them the data? Or should I tell em to pay?

It is a medical office, money is not a problem for them.

Warrior

Level 4
Verified
Sep 2, 2014
I would charge them the past due 4600 for the backup,
And tell them if the want it pay up or its deleted in 10 days see how fast they will pay ....
If you give them the data for free u might as well not charge any customer's anything ....

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well it's your choice, I cannot see anything wrong if you will charge them as long the justification is clearly involved.

Sometimes our effort should be paid off.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.