OK This is Going to be a Wierd Question. Hope You Don't Mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rodney74

Thread author
Please let me explain. (see links and video below and question)

I don't have lots of leisure time. But when I do find the time I like to play MW3.

But I hate how COD games all went to a structured game play, you can't go where you want. It's not open world.

So I joined a forum and found a MW3 No-Clip file, for solo game play.

I downloaded it sent it to virus total and some virus detectors called it a virus, most of the bigger names did not.

Hitman pro said it was OK, so did Panda and Avast, others did not. Link below for results.

Antivirus scan for 98e043fc23f38a47d0ca9b9e10252ecb2babe28b0a75cf4b1f055c4443b5318d at 2017-01-28 20:09:36 UTC - VirusTotal

You download it to the desktop, it doesn't install, you just click on it, then select F1 to turn on the clip effect in the game, and F2 to turn the effect off.

My question is just to be safe, can't I download it to the desktop, go to windows firewall stop all inbound and outbound assess for that file, and use it to play my game.

I scanned it with Hitman and Panda cloud and it came up clean. I have multiple BU Images of my OS to go back to.

What could it possible do IF it can't connect with the internet But I would like you guys opinions before I use it again.

Please advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rodney74

Thread author
If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't install it. But if you must, it is a good idea to work with your firewall to ensure it doesn't do any real damage. Don't be suprised if spyware or adware goes through as they are typically low scale attacks.

Thanks Luke. I forgot to mention, the clip software doesn't install. Its a turn on turn off the clip feature, using the F1 and F2 keys.

Reactions: AtlBo

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Thanks Luke. I forgot to mention, the clip software doesn't install. Its a turn on turn off the clip feature, using the F1 and F2 keys.
Ah, well still I don't recommend it unless it is worth risking stuff like adware. Hope I helped!

R

Rodney74

Thread author
With all those AVs detecting this I wouldn't say its safe at all.. Try scanning with Zemana and or Adwarecleaner to make sure you haven't bwewn infected..

You download it to the desktop, it doesn't install, you just click on it, then select F1 to turn on the clip effect in the game, and F2 for off.

I scanned it with Hitman and Panda cloud and it came up clean. I have multiple BU Images of my OS to go back to.

I just wondered if its safe, what could it possible do IF it can't connect with the internet But I would like you guys opinions before I use it again.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
As a long time member of ACI (Anti Cheat Inc.), if I were you I would stay as far away as you can from this
cheat. JMHO
Punk Buster enabled servers will see that weather you have it on or not when PB
does it's file scan, it may not immediately, but it will find it.
Not a smart move.
In good conscience I will offer you no more advice than what I offer above.

R

Rodney74

Thread author
As a long time member of ACI (Anti Cheat Inc.), if I were you I would stay as far away as you can from this
cheat. JMHO
Punk Buster enabled servers will see that weather you have it on or not when PB
does it's file scan, it may not immediately, but it will find it.
Not a smart move.

Thanks but MW3 doesn't have PB, and I'm using this for solo play only, not online.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks but MW3 doesn't have PB, and I'm using this for solo play only, not online.
Do you play any PB enabled games ?
It does not matter what its for once PB detects that no clip sig or hash, your screwed.
PB wont ask what game its for, or if you use it on line or off, they will only care that it's there.
I know, in the past I have done ban appeals, your taking a very dumb risk, when there are open world games
that offer more freedom. Spend some money or play honestly.
I will comment no more.
EDIT: I want to be honest here too, I have to submit that video to ACI.
Just in case.
PeAcE

Last edited:
R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
To answer your question, if it can access the internet, then you won't know for sure what data it sends or receive. It could be stealing some personal informations on your PC and send somewhere, for example (spyware).

You could try and execute it in a sandbox, such as Sandboxie. But i'm almost sure it won't work, as it won't be able to access any files. But it's worth a try.

Anyway i would recommend you not to use these kind of tweaks. Not unless you know FOR SURE it's from a reliable source.

If i where you i would not use it, and just to be sure i would scan my PC with Malwarebytes, HitmanPro, Zemana and Adwcleaner to make sure nothing nasty got thru.

Hope i helped ;)

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
It really depends on the creator. It could be a legitiment program but it could've been crypted to protect the program from being reverse engineered or something.

R

Rodney74

Thread author
Do you play any PB enabled games ?
It does not matter what its for once PB detects that no clip sig or hash, your screwed.
PB wont ask what game its for, or if you use it on line or off, they will only care that it's there.
I know, in the past I have done ban appeals, your taking a very dumb risk, when there are open world games
that offer more freedom. Spend some money or play honestly.
I will comment no more.
EDIT: I want to be honest here too, I have to submit that video to ACI.
Just in case.
PeAcE

Hey did you not read my post carefully? I am not using that online. I am playing solo, by myself.. This is a very old game, hardly anyone plays it anymore... Submit the video. You kidding me...

Rodney you asked for advise, and when your given advice you are contradicting the advise you are given. Why ask because it looks like to me your going to try it anyway.

No contradictions here, just searching for answers and clarity.

To answer your question, if it can access the internet, then you won't know for sure what data it sends or receive. It could be stealing some personal informations on your PC and send somewhere, for example (spyware).

You could try and execute it in a sandbox, such as Sandboxie. But i'm almost sure it won't work, as it won't be able to access any files. But it's worth a try.

Anyway i would recommend you not to use these kind of tweaks. Not unless you know FOR SURE it's from a reliable source.

If i where you i would not use it, and just to be sure i would scan my PC with Malwarebytes, HitmanPro, Zemana and Adwcleaner to make sure nothing nasty got thru.

Hope i helped ;)

Yea I did make an image with Macrium, before I clicked on the app, and before making the video. Then I restored my PC to that image, after trying the software.

Then I came here today to seek information, as to find out IF the file (which doesn't install on the PC) could be safe to use.

Some scanners will tag something as a problem just for the name alone.

But I wanted to come here and see if someone would explain how this kind of software works and if it could be used safely.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
No contradictions here, just searching for answers and clarity. Take it easy.
Well I gotta agree with russ, it does seem like you are trying to be right :eek: My opinion is if you disagree or don't like the advice you are given, ignore it. Don't start a mini flame war. This includes me. If you don't like my advice just say thanks and ignore it.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
R

Rodney74

Thread author
Well I gotta agree with russ, it does seem like you are trying to be right :eek: My opinion is if you disagree or don't like the advice you are given, ignore it. Don't start a mini flame war. This includes me. If you don't like my advice just say thanks and ignore it.

Guys I appreciate the advice, no one is trying to flame anything, or even trying to be "Right".

What I am trying to do is find our IF I can use a piece of software that makes my game fun for me, vs any adverse effects.

For example if this software was just adware, or potentially unwanted software, then no biggy.

On the other hand if it stole my passwords or was a undetected keylogger, that I would have to run away as fast as possible.

Or IF I was as Russ is concerned trying to play online and cheat, that would just be wrong.

So I don't know who started this idea, that I am not accepting, or arguing, disagreeing, or whatever, that is not the case...We are men here, not estrogen filled grannies, we are just talking, and sharing...Which makes me wonder why this is getting difficult.

I DO APPRECIATE the advice and your time.

So I am just trying to access, the plus and minus factors here.

Reactions: LukeNukesEm

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Guys I appreciate the advice, no one is trying to flame anything, or even trying to be "Right".

What I am trying to do is find our IF I can use a piece of software that makes my game fun for me, vs any adverse effects.

For example if this software was just adware, or potentially unwanted software, then no biggy.

On the other hand if it stole my passwords or was a undetected keylogger, that I would have to run away as fast as possible.

Or IF I was as Russ is concerned trying to play online and cheat, that would just be wrong.

So I don't know who started this idea, that I am not accepting, or arguing, disagreeing, or whatever, that is not the case...We are men here, not estrogen filled grannies, we are just talking, and sharing...Which makes me wonder why this is getting difficult.

I DO APPRECIATE the advice and your time.

So I am just trying to access, the plus and minus factors here.
Alright

Reactions: Rodney74

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
If you really want to know what avast thinks about it maybe you could send them the file as potential malware and see if they are able to detect it?
Avast reporting malware samples

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015

Hey did you not read my post carefully? I am not using that online. I am playing solo, by myself.. This is a very old game, hardly anyone plays it anymore... Submit the video. You kidding me...
No not kidding, it will serve at the very least to get you on the right watch lists.
Good luck ;)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
@Rodney74 whether or not you play it online it is considered a cheat.
Technically there is no difference between this and and a crack for software.
With those VT results,I would have just left that alone.
Many have already answered your question for advice.
The rules regarding inappropriate content apply to all forums in which this would fall under
We do not allow discussions involving Code for Hacking, Cracking, Bypassing, Exploiting
Edited and thread is closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.