Old ipad running iOS 9 (how secure is it ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Hi-

I have an old ipad which will not upgrade beyond iOS 9. The ipad is in good condition and works really well. However, I know that iOS 9 does not benefit from the latest security patches.

My question is how safe /secure is this ipad ? What activities are definately safe and which are definately NOT safe ?

For example, would it be OK to use the Mail application to access messages from my Gmail account ?

Could I still do financial transactions if I used the applications provided by banks ?

If not, WHY not ? And what could I still use it for without seriously compromising my security ? Could I harden the security in any way ?

Thanks.

Reactions: ng4ever and upnorth

JiSingh12

Level 3
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
It's time to dump those old iPhones and iPads | ZDNet

Apple Iphone Os version 9.3.5 : Security vulnerabilities

50+ known and unpatched security vulnerabilities in A5-chipset generation iOS devices - Ctrl blog

HOWEVER, overall my general opinion is that iOS is quite a secure platform, so as long as you are not doing anything explicitly dodgy, then you should be fine. The banking apps are secured using their own encryption and so on which is kept up to date. If you want to make sure it is secure, i would say just use a clean install of your current iOS version, presumably 9.3.5, that should be enough.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Time is limited. My main concern would be the battery life and device performance. You will eventually you will need to upgrade to a newer iPad that supports iOS updates.

I read some time ago, it was better to factory reset using iTunes rather than the options in iOS settings.

If you have a Windows 10 device, you can download iTunes from the Microsoft Store. One-click to download and install. Easy to remove.
Download: Get iTunes - Microsoft Store
1540384243817.png

Otherwise: iTunes - Upgrade to Get iTunes Now or on macOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.