Edge
strict tracking prevention
Privacy Badger
Brave search

Firefox
strict tracking | total cookie protection
µBO hard mode
Brave search
Privacy features enabled via internal settings only for usability Firefox Privacy or: How I Learned to Stop Hardening and Love Strict Tracking Protection

Brave
Brave shields @ aggressive + per-site switches
Brave search
All internal privacy settings enabled
Secure DNS
Quad9 DOH
Desktop VPN
None
Password manager
Brain.exe
Little Black Book
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in
File and Photo backup
External - Free Agent drive
System recovery
Aoemi Backupper
Restore points - weekly scheduled task
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Lenovo l340 i3 8145U CPU @ 2.10 GHz 2.300 GHz 8GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB HDD
Notable changes
7-1-21 Updated config as above
7-10-21 Switched out µBO & ClearURLs for Trace
7-13-21 Switched ClearURLs for Trace in Brave
7-16-21 Updated config as above - Edge as main browser
7-18-21 Brave uninstalled
7-21-21 Reverted to µBO as sole extension in browsers.
Updated Firefox search engines
Replaced Adguard DNS with Cloudfare DNS
8-24-21 Replaced µBO with Privacy Badger
8-28-21 Configured three browsers for compartmentalization
8.30.21 Back to µBO hard mode all three browsers
9.29.21 Back to Microsoft Defender and NextDNS
10.1.21 Added VoodooShield Pro
11.11.21 Removed VoodooShield & added TinyWall. Switched to Trace from µBO in Edge.
12.5.21 Replaced Trace with Privacy Badger
12.20.21 Reverted to Firefox internal settings only.
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Added VoodooShield Pro. Hey - it's lightweight, fast, user-friendly and I have a lifetime license. ;) :D Also, it's the one app I have a soft spot for!
That's a powerful combo your using, been thinking about doing the same for awhile now, also have a VS lifetime license. But don't you think that SWH is not really needed with VS?

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

Hi oldschool,​

VS + Defender default is enough - you can have similar protection as with SWH + ConfigureDefender MAX. Adding ConfigureDefender settings and SWH will not improve much the protection.

You could probably keep RunBySmartscreen, due to improved anti-DLL hijacking protection. But in the home environment, DLL hijacking is very rare as an initial attack vector, and in most cases, the infection chain will be already broken by VS.:)(y)

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019

Hi oldschool,​

VS + Defender default is enough - you can have similar protection as with SWH + ConfigureDefender MAX. Adding ConfigureDefender settings and SWH will not improve much the protection.

You could probably keep RunBySmartscreen, due to improved anti-DLL hijacking protection. But in the home environment, DLL hijacking is very rare as an initial attack vector, and in most cases, the infection chain will be already broken by VS.:)(y)
Somehow it does remind me of the motto 'keep it simple'. ;)

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Hey oldschool,

I saw you using the Trace extension before and I am tempted to test it out even tho it's an extension against fingerprinting. From what I've seen it randomzes fingerprints by adding fake values (which actually seem pretty well thought through) instead of blocking like many other extensions do. As those values are mostly updated after site refresh or browser restart, it doesn't even matter if those values make you more unique as they are changed regularly anyway. Did you have any negative experiences lately or are you just trying to use as few extensions as possible?

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
From what I've seen it randomzes fingerprints by adding fake values (which actually seem pretty well thought through) instead of blocking like many other extensions do.
If you don't select custom RGBA settings it will always randomize.
As those values are mostly updated after site refresh or browser restart, it doesn't even matter if those values make you more unique as they are changed regularly anyway.
Don't know since I never checked.
Did you have any negative experiences lately
I haven't used it in a while. My experience is you have to be thorough in your settings selection, e.g. for each protection --> "runs by default" vs "runs when enabled", etc. and then check performance according to your browsing habits.
or are you just trying to use as few extensions as possible?
Indeed, I'm using only µBO.

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
After testing various extensions I recently settled on Privacy Badger in Edge because I'm lazy, like that it's set-and-forget and compliments strict tracking protection very nicely. No broken websites, no ads and a trusted developer. :cool:

Also, I've been using VoodooShield 6.82 beta (7.0) for beta testing purposes. Autopilot settings --> very quiet, no FPs, no annoyances. (y)

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
After testing various extensions I recently settled on Privacy Badger in Edge because I'm lazy, like that it's set-and-forget and compliments strict tracking protection very nicely. No broken websites, no ads and a trusted developer. :cool:

Also, I've been using VoodooShield 6.82 beta (7.0) for beta testing purposes. Autopilot settings --> very quiet, no FPs, no annoyances. (y)
I used to have PB on all my browsers. May go back on Edge to give it a try.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018

You must still get youtube ads? Btw i just did read that malwarebytes extension is blocking youtube ads , it might be alternative for adblocker if you want to check it out

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

@oldschool
When Privacy badge does not block youtube ads, It is also possible to install an extension which blocks ads on youtube and only allow this extension access to youtube.com (disabling it on all other websites).

@Moonhorse
I did not know malwarebytes blocked youtube ads, I will give it a try, thanks for mentioning: Edit seems to block youtube ads.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.