64-bit operating system; x64-based processor
    Security Updates
    Automatic Updates (recommended)
    User Access Control
    Always Notify
    Network Security (Firewall)
    Windows Defender Firewall
    Device Security
  • Windows Defender SmartScreen (Windows 10)
  • User Account
    Standard
    Sign-in Accounts
    None
    Sign-in Options
  • Password
  • Malware Testing
    I do not participate in downloading malware samples
    Real-time Web & Malware Protection
    Windows Defender
    VoodooShield Pro
    RTP - Custom security settings
  • Minor changes for Increased security
  • RTP - Details of Custom security settings
    ConfigureDefender @ Max + Smartscreen = Warn + Security Center = Visible
    VoodooShield Pro @ custom settings
    Various OS hardening
    Virus and Malware Removal Tools
    Emsisoft Emergency Kit
    Hitman Pro (free)
    Browsers and Extensions
    Brave Beta - Hardened via Brave:flags + Built-in Ad/Tracking/Script protection + Bitdefender Trafficlight + Privacy Possum
    Edge Dev Chromium - Hardened via Edge:Flags + µBO + Privacy Possum
    Privacy-focused Apps and Extensions
    Brave Beta - Built-in + Privacy Possum
    Edge (Dev) - µBO + Privacy Possum + Cookie Autodelete
    Password Managers
  • Brain exe + little black book
  • Web Search
  • StartPage
  • System Utilities
    BleachBit - "Hillary uses it!"
    Windows built-in
    TinyWall 2.1.11
    Hard_Configurator Beta v.5.0.0
    Data Backup
    Copy/Paste -> Free Agent Drive
    Frequency of Data backups
    Weekly
    System Backup
    Windows Built-in - image > Free Agent drive
    Frequency of System backups
    Regularly
    Computer Activity
  • Browsing web and email
  • Watch movies and other entertainment content on the Internet
  • Shared device is used by family members
  • Download files from different sources
  • Office and work related tasks
  • Video or photography editing
  • Computer Specifications
    Lenovo L340 i3 8145U CPU @ 2.10 GHz 2.300 GHz 8GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB HDD

oldschool

Level 34
    Verified
    oldschool's 2019 laptop setup

Earlier this week: Removed Bitdefender Free due to several occurrences of lost wifi connection. These required multiple restarts to enable drivers. I also didn't care for BD's SSL scanning, which blocked some of my familiar websites.

So, I am back with hardened Windows Defender.

Edit: Laptop used for music storage, browsing and email almost exclusively. Of course, because I am oldschool! :)

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 34
    Verified
    After resolving an Update Assistant error code, I successfully updated to W10 v.1809. Only small issue: VS failed to start at the final update restart, which resolved with another restart. Never underestimate the effectiveness of a restart to fix little glitches (y)

Removed TinyWall

Changed Cybersecurity Awareness to Average.

I only use Wise Disk Cleaner to clean Edge. I'm waiting for the new Edge to offer this ability with options to allow cookies, something it doesn't allow ATM. BleachBit and Windows built-in do all I need to keep things running as smooth as possible. BleachBit is a fantastic little program! (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

Level 85
    Verified
    Staff member
    Off-topic posts were removed. I'm really sorry, but this thread is about @oldschool config. I'll also remove the Cyber Security Awareness field because I see that people try to give it more importance that it has, even though the description when creating/editing a thread was very clear.

Andy Ful

Level 46
    Verified
    Trusted
    Content Creator
    After resolving an Update Assistant error code, I successfully updated to W10 v.1809. Only small issue: VS failed to start at the final update restart, which resolved with another restart. Never underestimate the effectiveness of a restart to fix little glitches (y)

Removed TinyWall

Changed Cybersecurity Awareness to Average.

I only use Wise Disk Cleaner to clean Edge. I'm waiting for the new Edge to offer this ability with options to allow cookies, something it doesn't allow ATM. BleachBit and Windows built-in do all I need to keep things running as smooth as possible. BleachBit is a fantastic little program! (y)
    Edge option <Settings> <Privacy & security> is not enough?

microsoft-edge-privacy-security-settings-1.jpg

clear-browsing-data-edge-2018.jpg

I also use it with the option "Always clear this when I close the browser" set to ON.
    I took the photos from:
    How to manage Microsoft Edge settings on the Windows 10 October 2018 Update

oldschool

Level 34
    Verified
    REINSTALLED: TinyWall

I re-installed TinyWall after I realized that the internet connection error code I got when using Update Assistant was due to user error. I failed to realize I would need to make a new allow rule for it in TinyWall. :sleep::sleep::sleep: DUH!

@Andy Ful - I do make use of the clear on exit feature, however I should have written that Edge does not allow exclusions in clearing cookies upon close. I suspect this will change in the new Chromium version. Thank you, my friend! (y)

dash

Level 4
    REINSTALLED: TinyWall

I re-installed TinyWall after I realized that the internet connection error code I got when using Update Assistant was due to user error. I failed to realize I would need to make a new allow rule for it in TinyWall. :sleep::sleep::sleep: DUH!

@Andy Ful - I do make use of the clear on exit feature, however I should have written that Edge does not allow exclusions in clearing cookies upon close. I suspect this will change in the new Chromium version. Thank you, my friend! (y)
    I'm looking at TinyWall's page here and it looks like a little freeware gem (like 7-zip or something). Will have to try it on my Win machine. I just trialed ZoneAlarm Pro on it and was disappointed. But I like the WFC/GlassWire/etc approach that uses the WFW as the base so this might be just what I've been looking for.