Windows built-in
BleachBit 3.0 - "Hilary uses it!"
RunBySmartscreen
Photos and Files backup
Copy/Paste -> Free Agent Drive
File Backup schedule
Once or multiple times per week
Backup and Restore
Windows built-in -> Free Agent drive (monthly)
Backup schedule
Once or more per week
Computer Activity
  1. Browsing the web and checking emails
  2. Streaming movies, TV shows and music from the Internet
  3. Shared computer is used by other family members
  4. Downloading files from different websites
  5. Office and other work-related software (Work from Home)
  6. Recording and editing video or photos
Computer Specifications
Lenovo L340 i3 8145U CPU @ 2.10 GHz 2.300 GHz 8GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB HDD

oldschool

Level 55
Verified
oldschool's 2019 laptop setup

Earlier this week: Removed Bitdefender Free due to several occurrences of lost wifi connection. These required multiple restarts to enable drivers. I also didn't care for BD's SSL scanning, which blocked some of my familiar websites.

So, I am back with hardened Windows Defender.

Edit: Laptop used for music storage, browsing and email almost exclusively. Of course, because I am oldschool! :)

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 55
Verified
After resolving an Update Assistant error code, I successfully updated to W10 v.1809. Only small issue: VS failed to start at the final update restart, which resolved with another restart. Never underestimate the effectiveness of a restart to fix little glitches (y)

Removed TinyWall

Changed Cybersecurity Awareness to Average.

I only use Wise Disk Cleaner to clean Edge. I'm waiting for the new Edge to offer this ability with options to allow cookies, something it doesn't allow ATM. BleachBit and Windows built-in do all I need to keep things running as smooth as possible. BleachBit is a fantastic little program! (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Off-topic posts were removed. I'm really sorry, but this thread is about @oldschool config. I'll also remove the Cyber Security Awareness field because I see that people try to give it more importance that it has, even though the description when creating/editing a thread was very clear.

Andy Ful

Level 63
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
After resolving an Update Assistant error code, I successfully updated to W10 v.1809. Only small issue: VS failed to start at the final update restart, which resolved with another restart. Never underestimate the effectiveness of a restart to fix little glitches (y)

Removed TinyWall

Changed Cybersecurity Awareness to Average.

I only use Wise Disk Cleaner to clean Edge. I'm waiting for the new Edge to offer this ability with options to allow cookies, something it doesn't allow ATM. BleachBit and Windows built-in do all I need to keep things running as smooth as possible. BleachBit is a fantastic little program! (y)
Edge option <Settings> <Privacy & security> is not enough?

microsoft-edge-privacy-security-settings-1.jpg

clear-browsing-data-edge-2018.jpg

I also use it with the option "Always clear this when I close the browser" set to ON.
I took the photos from:
How to manage Microsoft Edge settings on the Windows 10 October 2018 Update

oldschool

Level 55
Verified
REINSTALLED: TinyWall

I re-installed TinyWall after I realized that the internet connection error code I got when using Update Assistant was due to user error. I failed to realize I would need to make a new allow rule for it in TinyWall. :sleep::sleep::sleep: DUH!

@Andy Ful - I do make use of the clear on exit feature, however I should have written that Edge does not allow exclusions in clearing cookies upon close. I suspect this will change in the new Chromium version. Thank you, my friend! (y)

dash

Level 4
REINSTALLED: TinyWall

I re-installed TinyWall after I realized that the internet connection error code I got when using Update Assistant was due to user error. I failed to realize I would need to make a new allow rule for it in TinyWall. :sleep::sleep::sleep: DUH!

@Andy Ful - I do make use of the clear on exit feature, however I should have written that Edge does not allow exclusions in clearing cookies upon close. I suspect this will change in the new Chromium version. Thank you, my friend! (y)
I'm looking at TinyWall's page here and it looks like a little freeware gem (like 7-zip or something). Will have to try it on my Win machine. I just trialed ZoneAlarm Pro on it and was disappointed. But I like the WFC/GlassWire/etc approach that uses the WFW as the base so this might be just what I've been looking for.