Firefox - hardened + µBO + Privacy Badger + eTag Stoppa + MBBG
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in
BleachBit 3.0 - "Hilary uses it!"
RunBySmartscreen
File and Photo backup
Copy/Paste -> Free Agent Drive
System recovery
Windows built-in -> Free Agent drive (monthly)
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Lenovo L340 i3 8145U CPU @ 2.10 GHz 2.300 GHz 8GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB HDD

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
oldschool's 2019 laptop setup

Earlier this week: Removed Bitdefender Free due to several occurrences of lost wifi connection. These required multiple restarts to enable drivers. I also didn't care for BD's SSL scanning, which blocked some of my familiar websites.

So, I am back with hardened Windows Defender.

Edit: Laptop used for music storage, browsing and email almost exclusively. Of course, because I am oldschool! :)

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
After resolving an Update Assistant error code, I successfully updated to W10 v.1809. Only small issue: VS failed to start at the final update restart, which resolved with another restart. Never underestimate the effectiveness of a restart to fix little glitches (y)

Removed TinyWall

Changed Cybersecurity Awareness to Average.

I only use Wise Disk Cleaner to clean Edge. I'm waiting for the new Edge to offer this ability with options to allow cookies, something it doesn't allow ATM. BleachBit and Windows built-in do all I need to keep things running as smooth as possible. BleachBit is a fantastic little program! (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Off-topic posts were removed. I'm really sorry, but this thread is about @oldschool config. I'll also remove the Cyber Security Awareness field because I see that people try to give it more importance that it has, even though the description when creating/editing a thread was very clear.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
After resolving an Update Assistant error code, I successfully updated to W10 v.1809. Only small issue: VS failed to start at the final update restart, which resolved with another restart. Never underestimate the effectiveness of a restart to fix little glitches (y)

Removed TinyWall

Changed Cybersecurity Awareness to Average.

I only use Wise Disk Cleaner to clean Edge. I'm waiting for the new Edge to offer this ability with options to allow cookies, something it doesn't allow ATM. BleachBit and Windows built-in do all I need to keep things running as smooth as possible. BleachBit is a fantastic little program! (y)
Edge option <Settings> <Privacy & security> is not enough?

microsoft-edge-privacy-security-settings-1.jpg

clear-browsing-data-edge-2018.jpg

I also use it with the option "Always clear this when I close the browser" set to ON.
I took the photos from:
How to manage Microsoft Edge settings on the Windows 10 October 2018 Update

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
REINSTALLED: TinyWall

I re-installed TinyWall after I realized that the internet connection error code I got when using Update Assistant was due to user error. I failed to realize I would need to make a new allow rule for it in TinyWall. :sleep::sleep::sleep: DUH!

@Andy Ful - I do make use of the clear on exit feature, however I should have written that Edge does not allow exclusions in clearing cookies upon close. I suspect this will change in the new Chromium version. Thank you, my friend! (y)

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
REINSTALLED: TinyWall

I re-installed TinyWall after I realized that the internet connection error code I got when using Update Assistant was due to user error. I failed to realize I would need to make a new allow rule for it in TinyWall. :sleep::sleep::sleep: DUH!

@Andy Ful - I do make use of the clear on exit feature, however I should have written that Edge does not allow exclusions in clearing cookies upon close. I suspect this will change in the new Chromium version. Thank you, my friend! (y)
I'm looking at TinyWall's page here and it looks like a little freeware gem (like 7-zip or something). Will have to try it on my Win machine. I just trialed ZoneAlarm Pro on it and was disappointed. But I like the WFC/GlassWire/etc approach that uses the WFW as the base so this might be just what I've been looking for.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.