Feb 23, 2020
Manufacturer
Samsung
Manufacturer Model
  • J3 V
  • Mobile OS
  • Android 9 Pie
  • Security Updates
    Automatic Updates (Auto download over Wi-Fi)
    Additional Security for your Apple or Google account
    2-Step Verification is enabled
    Screen Lock Type (Unlock Device)
    Numeric PIN (6-digit)
    Biometrics (Unlock Device)
  • None
  • Notifications Privacy
    Hide all notifications when device is locked
    Google Play Protect
    Play Protect is disabled (at risk!)
    Find My Phone
    Location-based services are enabled to Find My Phone
    Install Unknown Apps (Unknown Sources)
    Disabled
    Developer Mode
    Disabled
    Android Beam
    Not available
    Secure startup
    Require pattern or PIN when device turns on
    SIM Card Lock
    Disabled
    Real-Time Protection
    Sophos Intercept X Free
    On-demand malware scanners
    None
    Browsers
    Brave - hardened via brave://flags
    Content Filtering for Privacy
    Built-in Shields
    Data Backup
    Manual - contacts only, as needed
    Frequency of Data backups
    None
    Noteworthy apps
    Windscribe VPN when needed.
    Changelog (Updates, Uninstalled, or Replaced)
    Removed Bluetooth Firewall
    Added Sophos Intercept X

Jack

Administrator
    Verified
    Staff member
    Hey @oldschool
    Install Unknown Apps (Unknown Sources)
    For which app do you have this option enabled?
    2-Step Verification For Your Google or Apple Account: Disabled
    Why don't you enable 2FA? If your password gets compromised you have a lot of data in the Google account. It's really easy to set up and you rarely need to add the codes.
    Google Play Protect: Disabled
    Why it's disabled? It's not a very good scanner but it doesn't hurt to have this enabled.

Data Backup: Manual - contacts only, as needed
    What happens when you change your phone? Do you copy/paste all the pictures? Or what happens if your phone gets broken? Why not use Google Photos with Unlimited free storage to always have a back-up of your pictures?

Real-Time Protection: None
    I'm not going to recommend anything for now, because you really need to look into Data Backup & 2FA. No real reason not to set up these two at least.

Generally speaking, you do have more valuable data on your phone than on your PC so it would make sense to secure it better. For now, Android malware is not a big threat, however, if you look at what's happening with macOS, it won't take long before Android will be the next target.

oldschool

Level 45
    Verified
    For which app do you have this option enabled?
    I've disabled sideloading of untrusted apps for all apps. I enable for Brave only as needed. IOW I enable this feature if I'm installing something untrusted. I've only ever done this for Adguard and Blockada APKs, which have been removed.

No 2FA because I don't use Google, very rarely install apps, never paid apps.

No photos on phone, except a few random ones that anyone is welcome to.

My only data are Contacts. That's it.

No email, photos, files, etc.

I only use it for a phone, occasional texts, and very rarely browsing trusted sites.

It's a junk phone. Very low-end.

I truly am old school, but I will consider suggestions. Maybe try Sophos again.

Personal I wouldn't as Play Protect automatically from time to time scan not only your installed apps but also when you install new.
    Bitdefender Free does the same.

I knew I would catch flak for this setup. ;) Does that make me a troll?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Lenny_Linux

Level 8
    Verified
    @oldschool

I am not against Sophos, using Sophos Free on access on my Linux Manjaro partition, but . . . an antivirus on an un-rooted Android phone really has not much operating room. It has less rights than a standard user on Windows for references, its operating space is comparable to Windows store app. With this in mind all tech talk of intercept X is just bla, bla, bla (to use your own words).

When you don't use advance functions like 'locating a lost phone', 'encrypting data on a lost phone', 'permission evaluation of installed apps" or a firewall (which is also a wagon full of bull $h1t on unrooted Android), you better stick to an antivirus which has a good (old school) blacklist for Android. Simply because that is basically all an Android Av is allowed to do.

Like @Jack I am also lost why you don't disable side loading of apps from unsafe sources or enable the Google Play scanner, The first one does not eat CPU nor drain battery, the second only when installing apps from Google App Store (like Bitdefender does).

Best security manual check you can do, is browse through your apps permission and tighten what they are have access to.

I also rarely install apps and when I check Bitdefender's Free battery usage (which I have NOT set to optimize) it has only used 0.3% of the battery's capacity, compared to Google play service (also NOT optimized to receive updates of Apps) being 0.2%. Bitdefender uses a little more energy than Google Play protect, because it has to monitor apps being written to your phone.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 45
    Verified
    With this in mind all tech talk of intercept X is just bla, bla, bla (to use your own words).
    InterceptX apparently replaced the old Sophos Free for Android, I think because it has features available for business phones.

Like @Jack I am also lost why you don't disable side loading of apps from unsafe sources or enable the Google Play scanner, The first one does not eat CPU nor drain battery, the second only when installing apps from Google App Store (like Bitdefender does).
    Maybe you missed this?

I've disabled sideloading of untrusted apps for all apps. I enable for Brave only as needed. IOW I enable this feature if I'm installing something untrusted. I've only ever done this for Adguard and Blockada APKs, which have been removed.
    Best security manual check you can do, is browse through your apps permission and tighten what they are have access to.
    Already done. Plus, I have no non-default apps, and have uninstalled as many as possible.

I re-enabled Play Protect when I uninstalled BD.

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
    Verified

No 2FA because I don't use Google, very rarely install apps, never paid apps.

No photos on phone, except a few random ones that anyone is welcome to.

My only data are Contacts. That's it.

No email, photos, files, etc.

I only use it for a phone, occasional texts, and very rarely browsing trusted sites.

It's a junk phone. Very low-end.

I truly am old school, but I will consider suggestions. Maybe try Sophos again.

Bitdefender Free does the same.

I knew I would catch flak for this setup. ;) Does that make me a troll?

Thanks everyone.
    If yours is trash, mine is the Flintstones smartphone.....................😁😁😁😁
    A few years ago my daughter threw her Samsung Galaxy ACE into the trash and I had fun recovering, installing at least 40 apps when everyone said it was impossible.
    Not to mention the fact that the current internal memory is still 104 MB today.
    He is still alive today.:giggle:

But smartphones are not my sector .....;)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 25
    Verified
    Updated to show enabled 2FA.

@Protomartyr @Lenny_Linux Sophos InterceptX is still active. I don't notice any protection difference from BD, but I mostly make calls. That is all.
    When you launch a (supported) webbrowser you get a notification that web filtering is on.
    And of course the device and network security settings are great (one time setup) and not available in Bitdefender Free.