Malwarebytes Antimalware
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Edge - Nano Adblocker medium mode
Brave Beta - Nano Adblocker
Firefox -- uBlock Origin medium mode, Malwarebytes Beta,
Maintenance tools
Windows Disk Cleanup, BleachBit - "Hillary uses it!", Wise Disk Cleaner, CleanMem, Document Anti-Exploit Tool.
File and Photo backup
Windows
System recovery
Macrium Reflect

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
We switched our ISP to a Net Neutrality ISP and I needed to replace the provided McAfee. I did a lot of research and came up with this configuration for our older laptop. I've been very happy with this set-up and had only a slight learning curve with TinyWall and VoodooShield. Sophos has been very easy to live with but has developed a slight bug lately - incorrect Last Scan Date reporting. All clean so far!

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I would like to suggest either Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper forcreating system images. Both have a free and reliable version you could use. :)

Thanks for the direction. But, about my config: I see threads about Andy Fuls configure Defender and am wondering if WD + CD on my system would provide more protection than what I have currently. My old machine is simply for surfing, some photos, docs, music. Very basic. Any thoughts?

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Protection is a preventive injection, backup is like a recovery medicine. Recently, Windows Update seems to be an unreliable threat, so it is reassurance to keep recovering medicine on hand.

Thank you for sharing:)

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
4/11/18 UPDATE:

Switched from Sophos Home Free to Windows Defender + ConfigureDefender (High setting).
Switched from Tinywall (which I really like for its simple elegance!) to Commodo Firewall 10 + CruelSister Variation.
Added Macrium Reflect Free for image backup.
Also now using uBlock Origin in Advanced User Medium Mode.

I uninstalled MBAM because the updated version with Realtime Trial was making Sophos unhappy. I will try reinstalling once I'm a bit more familiar with this new setup. The new configuration seems to be easy on my machine - i3 2.53GHz 8MB RAM DDR3 Lenovo laptop. WD made a bit of a fuss installing CF but it's all up and running. I like it and the bit of a learning curve should be fun! Thanks for all your help!

Edit: Re-installed Malwarebytes Antimalware

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Just uninstalled CCleaner as I kept getting flags from Commodo Firewall and WD Controlled Folder Access. This occurred over a couple of days as I was installing VirusTotal uploader and cleaning browser history, etc..

Today I booted up as usual with my user account and all icons including browsers in task bar were GONE! I signed out of User Account and into Admin Account and found an unusual Zip file on the desktop! I checked Properties which looked suspicious & ran it in CF container, then reset container, forgetting to upload to VT first. (Duh!) Restarted computer and User Account task bar icons back to normal. Most everything seems OK. But, a couple of "unknown" files are greyed out and disabled in Commodo Killswitch.

Now using Bleachbit exclusively and clearing Edge in browser settings. I never had issues before changing from my old configuration. Any help out there for this new member?

Reactions: SumTingWong

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Just uninstalled CCleaner as I kept getting flags from Commodo Firewall and WD Controlled Folder Access. This occurred over a couple of days as I was installing VirusTotal uploader and cleaning browser history, etc..

Today I booted up as usual with my user account and all icons including browsers in task bar were GONE! I signed out of User Account and into Admin Account and found an unusual Zip file on the desktop! I checked Properties which looked suspicious & ran it in CF container, then reset container, forgetting to upload to VT first. (Duh!) Restarted computer and User Account task bar icons back to normal. Most everything seems OK. But, a couple of "unknown" files are greyed out and disabled in Commodo Killswitch.

Now using Bleachbit exclusively and clearing Edge in browser settings. I never had issues before changing from my old configuration. Any help out there for this new member?
I would suggest a few tests with Process Explorer and AutoRuns to check everything is normal, and scan the system and AppData folder with a couple of portable anti-malware. My robotic feeling tells me it's probably some normal bug, but let's just be sure...

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I would suggest a few tests with Process Explorer and AutoRuns to check everything is normal, and scan the system and AppData folder with a couple of portable anti-malware. My robotic feeling tells me it's probably some normal bug, but let's just be sure...

I'll need to download Process Explorer. Don't know AutoRuns. Scanning with ZAM now. Don't currently have any portables. "...my robotic feeling..." I like that!

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
but i thought the whole porpuse of CS Comodo is that everything is sandboxed and the user really can't mess up too bad.

I'm new to CF + CS settings. And I'm an average user - no real technical knowledge. That's why I'm here.... When I had Sophos Home Free + TinyWall I had no problems that I couldn't bump my way through.....

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I'm new to CF + CS settings. And I'm an average user - no real technical knowledge. That's why I'm here.... When I had Sophos Home Free + TinyWall I had no problems that I couldn't bump my way through.....
Don't get me wrong i'm not attacking you or anything, i'm just wondering how can something escape the auto-sandboxing of CF, especially if it's CS settings.
I guess you put something out of sandbox or your browser isn't sandboxed?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.