Malwarebytes Antimalware
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Edge - Nano Adblocker medium mode
Brave Beta - Nano Adblocker
Firefox -- uBlock Origin medium mode, Malwarebytes Beta,
Maintenance tools
Windows Disk Cleanup, BleachBit - "Hillary uses it!", Wise Disk Cleaner, CleanMem, Document Anti-Exploit Tool.
File and Photo backup
Windows
System recovery
Macrium Reflect

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Don't get me wrong i'm not attacking you or anything, i'm just wondering...I guess you put something out of sandbox or your browser isn't sandboxed?

No problem. I didn't take it as an attack. My browsers are not sandboxed. The only thing I can think of re: sandbox is that I had "removed" a blocked file but did not "unblock" it. (What the heck is the difference in CF?) In any case, KillSwitch previously showed a small group of "fully virtualized" processes whereas after this morning's episode there are none.

I will move this discussion to the Malware thread.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Upgraded ZAM Premium to Zemana AntiLogger (3 yr. license/discounted $$)
Edited Config. profile to show Backup Sync Auto
Image backups increased

As I'm getting more familiar with this new configuration and I'm considering removal of VoodooShield Free as it may be overkill. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Upgraded ZAM Premium to Zemana AntiLogger (3 yr. license/discounted $$)
Edited Config. profile to show Backup Sync Auto
Image backups increased

As I'm getting more familiar with this new configuration and I'm considering removal of VoodooShield Free as it may be overkill. Any suggestions?
replace it with something that can provide you VT results imo. CS Comodo's only downside is that you never know if something is safe or not, so just have something to check sigs for you. VS is good for that.

that ZAL license was a waste imo.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

that ZAL license was a waste imo.

Thanks for the feedback. I was already 6 -8 months into a ZAM Premium 3 yr. license and I got a new 3 yr. ZAL for almost nothing. But I'll remember this when they ask me to renew.

Definitely more comfortable with this set up now. I finally saw relation between actions I initiated and CF's response. And now that my system is set VS should not be giving me FPs. Thanks to all members for your suggestions.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
UPDATE: 1803

ADDED:
Malwarebytes Beta Extension for Firefox - tracking feature disabled;
McAfee WebAdvisor extension for Edge - just test driving this one;
Wise Disk Cleaner - replaces CCleaner & supplements BleachBit

Ok, now that the dust has settled on the 1803 update I can say everything running smooth here. This update was OK, in fact much better for me aside from the MS SmartScreen incident. Otherwise it was problem free compared to 1709, which motivated me to become a member. Plus I like Edge a bit more now except for PDF reading and the "Close All Tabs?" feature doesn't work. Getting rid of CCleaner eliminated the noise from CF - and I don't miss either. Also, thanks to a little education from members I now have Controlled Folder Access off and no longer bombarded by those flags! I'm continuing to soak up as much info as I can digest from the experienced members on this site. Thanks again for all your patience with non-technical users! You know who you are.:)(y) No longer so:confused:!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
UPDATE: 1803

ADDED:
Malwarebytes Beta Extension for Firefox - tracking feature disabled;
McAfee WebAdvisor extension for Edge - just test driving this one;
Wise Disk Cleaner - replaces CCleaner & supplements BleachBit

Ok, now that the dust has settled on the 1803 update I can say everything running smooth here. This update was OK, in fact much better for me aside from the MS SmartScreen incident. Otherwise it was problem free compared to 1709, which motivated me to become a member. Plus I like Edge a bit more now except for PDF reading and the "Close All Tabs?" feature doesn't work. Getting rid of CCleaner eliminated the noise from CF - and I don't miss either. Also, thanks to a little education from members I now have Controlled Folder Access off and no longer bombarded by those flags! I'm continuing to soak up as much info as I can digest from the experienced members on this site. Thanks again for all your patience with non-technical users! You know who you are.:)(y) No longer so:confused:!
Why do you have the tracking feature disabled in the Malwarebytes extension?

The problems I had with CCleaner alternatives are not being able to exclude some cookies from being cleaned and they don't completely clean all site data in Google Chrome.
What is your experience?

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Why do you have the tracking feature disabled in the Malwarebytes extension?....

Because of this: @Evjl's Rain here Q&A - [Updated 25/4/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings …. I'm trying it this way for now since I globally block 3rd party scripts & frames in uBlock Origin in Advanced User Mode. I've found it pretty intuitive to use this way with a bit of trial & error. When I used Ghostery in Edge it conflicted with this so.... hoping to avoid conflicts. Evjl seems to indicate MB is good with malware/scams and he unchecks tracking in it - and doesn't conflict with his custom lists in uBO. We'll see how it goes with me. I just installed.. and down the road I may change to default on MB. I may even try @Evjl's Rain's custom lists in uBO.

….The problems I had with CCleaner alternatives are not being able to exclude some cookies from being cleaned and they don't completely clean all site data in Google Chrome.
What is your experience?

I agree. I've spent some time looking at the free alternatives, and don't know what will clean thoroughly with exclusions. Smartscreen won't let me install Privacy Eraser to try it. I am only just trying Wise Disk Cleaner. I will say I prefer CC's interface since it is straight forward. WDC's is funky & clunky! I now know to be careful with WDC as it corrupted a few update files I apparently needed. (Ooops!:() Don't know if this helps and I'm sure there are more experienced members who could chime in on the question of alternatives.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Configuring Windows Defender + @Andy Ful from ConfigureDefender
Commodo Firewall + @cruelsister
Zemana Antilogger
VoodooShield Free
Greetings friend. Well, I do not want to offend you, but I do not think you need so many programs in real time, I think with ... Windows Defender + Configuration @Andy Ful of ConfigureDefender and Comodo Firewall + @cruelsister. It would be enough and Zamana would use it if, but not in real time.
Thanks for sharing...:)

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I think that experimenting is the necessary thing for everyone who starts thinking about computer security. After some years of experimenting, you will probably land on the setup similar to the below:
  • Web browser with a good sandbox + 'delete browsing session on exit' + one or two useful extensions.
  • Windows built-in cleanmgr.exe for cleaning leftovers.
  • Windows Defender (maybe with some advanced settings).
  • Universal Applications for document viewing (Office documents, PDF, etc.).
  • SmartScreen to check the application reputation.
  • Safe DNS for filtering dangerous websites.
  • Anti-spam filter + the habit of not opening unsafe e-mail attachments.
  • Adopt UYB (use your brain).
  • Accept the fact, that defending the privacy at all costs can weaken the security.
If you are a security paranoid type, then you probably will install some kind of default-deny/isolation (SRP, Sandboxing, Anti-exe), or hardening application.
Your system will be stable and responsive, and you will be safe as much as one can be, with the usable system.
Personally, I found the below recipe very useful:
Use as much as you can form the native Windows security features. If you are not satisfied, then add some 3-rd party application.

I know that for some people that would mean using Linux.:)(y)

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Removed:

Commodo Firewall
Privacy Badger (in FF)
uBlock Origin (in Edge)

Added:

TinyWall
RunBySmartscreen
Nano Adblocker in Edge
Privacy Possum in Firefox
Cookie Autodelete in FF
Revo uninstaller free
Added a couple of filters to both uBlock Origin and Nano Adblocker

I replaced CFW with TinyWall simply because I'm more comfortable with it.
Windows Defender set to Child Protection, WDSC visible.
I added RunBySmartscreen a while ago but never update config.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@oldschool, what applications do you use for document viewing (Office documents, PDF files, etc)?

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Adobe Touch and Edge
That is good for PDF files. (y)
Do you have some special applications for opening DOC, DOCX, XLS, PPT documents (compatible with Word, Excel, PowerPoint)?

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
That is good for PDF files. (y)
Do you have some special applications for opening DOC, DOCX, XLS, PPT documents (compatible with Word, Excel, PowerPoint)?

No, but we very rarely use any of these. My wife is the one obsessed with keeping MS Office 2007 BUT she never uses this computer anymore. She simply wants to know that IF she needs these apps she has the full Office package. I figure if she needs to access anything then I close all other apps and turn off the wifi and clean up after her when she's done. A happy wife = a happy marriage!

Maybe I need to consider Hard_Configurator....?

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
No, but we very rarely use any of these. My wife is the one obsessed with keeping MS Office 2007 BUT she never uses this computer anymore. She simply wants to know that IF she needs these apps she has the full Office package. I figure if she needs to access anything then I close all other apps and turn off the wifi and clean up after her when she's done. A happy wife = a happy marriage!

Maybe I need to consider Hard_Configurator....?
You can install free Microsoft document viewers:
Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, and PowerPoint Mobile from Microsoft Store (view, print but not edit in the free version).
The second option is installing free Office Online (Edge extension) or using Google Drive.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You can install free Microsoft document viewers:
Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, and PowerPoint Mobile from Microsoft Store (view, print but not edit in the free version).
The second option is installing free Office Online (Edge extension) or using Google Drive.

Thanks!

I

illumination

Removed:

Commodo Firewall
Privacy Badger (in FF)
uBlock Origin (in Edge)

Added:

TinyWall
RunBySmartscreen
Nano Adblocker in Edge
Privacy Possum in Firefox
Cookie Autodelete in FF
Revo uninstaller free
Added a couple of filters to both uBlock Origin and Nano Adblocker

I replaced CFW with TinyWall simply because I'm more comfortable with it.
Windows Defender set to Child Protection, WDSC visible.
I added RunBySmartscreen a while ago but never update config.
Nice change, Tinywall is an excellent little, light firewall.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
How are you finding TinyWall? I'm probably sticking to Comodo. I have looked at this once before, looks lightweight and good.

~LDogg

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.