Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.X

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
Just want an ondemand scanner for USB drives. Lightweight if possible. Don't really need for real-time protection whatsoever, ondemand solely. TIA

Mr.X

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
Other alternatives like USB Disk Security, which a very common program use in internet shops ;)

http://www.zbshareware.com/download.html

Most program bundled with real time protection to prevent any possible execution, you may disable but use at risk.
Thank you. I don't mind disabling real-time protection as I have AppGuard and Sandboxie doing their stuff in the first line of defense :D
I just need an on-demand scanner if a USB drive happens to have malware I would be able to eradicate it and you might think of A/V programs but I don't use them because I trust and rely my current security config and dedicated programs (see my signature).

Reactions: jamescv7

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Do you mean on-demand scanner for malwares or just for autorun worms?

Mr.X

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
Do you mean on-demand scanner for malwares or just for autorun worms?
On-demand scanner for any kind of malware dedicated for USB drives. I repeat myself, AppGuard and Sandboxie stops any attempt when plugging in a USB drive in my PC, then I want to execute the scanner and seek for a threat within the drive.

H

hjlbx

Just want an ondemand scanner for USB drives. Lightweight if possible. Don't really need for real-time protection whatsoever, ondemand solely. TIA

Hello Mr X,

I use Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

You can configure an external-drive-only. Meets your other requirement - very light footprint. You can even install it on a USB and run it from there.

EEK is on-demand only. Decent signatures. Updates can be a bit rough if it is not kept up-to-date on a regular basis.

Just might meet your needs...

Reactions: Mr.X

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Thank you. I don't mind disabling real-time protection as I have AppGuard and Sandboxie doing their stuff in the first line of defense :D
I just need an on-demand scanner if a USB drive happens to have malware I would be able to eradicate it and you might think of A/V programs but I don't use them because I trust and rely my current security config and dedicated programs (see my signature).

360 TS has on built in

63u6hg.jpg

Reactions: Mr.X

Mr.X

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
Thank you guys !
I believe I'll stick to MCShield for a while as FireShootSK recommends. It seems to be what I want, very robust.

Reactions: frogboy

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Thank you guys !
I believe I'll stick to MCShield for a while as FireShootSK recommends. It seems to be what I want, very robust.

McShield is good with the likes of ramnit, etc but not for worms.

Mr.X

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
McShield is good with the likes of ramnit, etc but not for worms.
Do you mean it doesn't stop worms or it doesn't detect worms at all?
I don't need/want anything to stop a threat shot from a USB drive as I have AppGuard for that. I just want detection for just remove / delete files within the USB drive.
See my move:
1. I plug-in a USB drive and Windows install it.
2. If any menace tries to escape AppGuard stops it and if it doesn't Sandboxie contains the menace.
3. At this stage I don't know for sure if any malware is trying to escape since AppGuard does not class threats.
4. Then whether AppGuard detects or not anything, I run on-demand MCShield to seek for malware.

Once again, MCShield doesn't detect inactive files from worms based on its own signatures?

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
It can't detect worms (those creating shortcuts). Well it must be regional, I know it's good when it comes to stopping malwares from USB drives, but is not much of use when stopping our locally written ones.

Reactions: Moose
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.