Battle One free software better than Process Hacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
Is there any free software better than Process Hacker? If so ... which is it?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
RE: One free software better tha Process Hacker

ocsi said:
Is there any free software better than Process Hacker? If so ... which is it?

Simple answer: COMODO KillSwitch - http://help.comodo.com/topic-119-1-208-2079-introduction-to-killswitch.html
It has a lot of features, and as a bonus, all the process are rated as Safe, Unsafe or Suspicious.. So it's very easy, even for newbie to find out if their is an active malicious process.

QxU9NQB.jpg

You can download this product from here: http://help.comodo.com/topic-119-1-208-2073-downloading-comodo-cleaning-essentials.html

Reactions: Chigwells

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

System Explorer is another alternative software for Process Hacker which from its looks like a browser interface.

Main Features
•Detailed information about Tasks, Processes, Modules, Startups, IE Addons, Uninstallers, Windows, Services, Drivers, Connections and Opened Files.
•Easy check of suspicious files via File Database or the VirusTotal service.
•Easy monitoring of processes activities and System changes.
•Usage graphs of important System resources.
•Tray Hint with detailed System and Battery status.
•WMI Browser and System Additional Info
•Multilanguage Support
•System Explorer is REAL freeware!

System Explorer

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013

Well killswitch was based and inspired by process hacker.I actually use both but i prefer process hacker as it more cleanly layed out.:cool:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

I would have to say it would be a close call between System Explorer and Emsisoft Hijack Free.

System Explorer has the largest process database on the web, however some of the most recent processes have no information because it is hard to tell if some are safe or not. If no info then it could be a new safe process or a zero-day malware. Advanced users should be able to known.

Emsisoft Hijack Free is more based around malware in general but sometimes has false positives shown in red when they are completely safe. If you are an advanced user you should be able to tell. Hijack Free is slow at starting up compared to System Explorer but has a better GUI and things are more easy to find.

Glarysoft Security Process Explorer is also pretty good but can not kill some locked processes and has a smaller database then System Explorer.

Comodo Killswitch is looks like Process Hacker with a Comodo jacket.
It is very slow and buggy on some systems but has some added security features lacking in Process Hacker. Still there are more feature in both System Explorer and Emsisoft Hijack Free and they are more stable. Comodo has has a much smaller process database since Killswitch hasn't been out that long. Killswitch is also in slow development, when was the last version released?

My favorite is System Explorer because it is in constant development and always improving. Has complete features that others don't have. The developer also has another project called System Security Guard which is designed to detect malware and uses their database.

Thanks.:D

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011

Thanks for your answers. :( I still do not know yet what I will use :huh:

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011

jamescv7 said:
System Explorer is another alternative software for Process Hacker which from its looks like a browser interface.

Main Features
•Detailed information about Tasks, Processes, Modules, Startups, IE Addons, Uninstallers, Windows, Services, Drivers, Connections and Opened Files.
•Multilanguage Support

System Explorer
OK, but System Explorer cannot detect hidden processes. .... or I'm wrong?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

For its current version there's no hidden process detection. (System Explorer)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

ocsi said:
jamescv7 said:

Main Features
•Multilanguage Support

System Explorer
OK, but System Explorer cannot detect hidden processes. .... or I'm wrong?

There is no process monitors that will detect all hidden processes correctly, they will only detect hidden windows (background processes with no GUI's) , if you are worried about hidden processes you need to use a Rootkit Tool like GMER. If a rootkit process is running in hidden mode then it is not visible using standard process monitors.

However if you check all associated autoruns, modules, services, drivers and opened files you can manually find an entry point for hidden processes and remove them in Windows Safe Mode.

GMER has to do a full scan of your system where it compares loaded modules with registry values then it can find all hidden processes.

Process monitors would take forever to load and startup if they performed a hidden rootkit scan with each time that you started them.

If you use Avast, then you don't have to worry about hidden processes since it uses GMER technology to scan your system with every boot by default and will automatically delete any rookit hidden processes for you.

Enjoy!!:D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Try each of their Portable versions (no installation) too see what suits you best.

ocsi said:
Thanks for your answers. :( I still do not know yet what I will use :huh:

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013

I was gonna mention what Jack did,Comodo Killswitch. Too bad he already mentioned that. Anyway,I also agree w/ Littlebits. You can't trust process monitors that much.
Edit : I also think for normal use,Task Manager is nuff

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I like the new Windows Task Manager (Windows 8), better than previous versions. But if you don't have Windows 8, other alternative will provide more details. System Explorer contains lots of features and information, but I found it a tad too much and complex when in use.

I'm currently trying out Emsisoft Hijack Free, although it's slow to start-up but then again it's not a tool I use often.

I agree with Littlebits about KillSwitch, and in my opinion the original PH is the best PH. Not a fan of spin-off versions.

D

Deleted member 178

Earth said:
I agree with Littlebits about KillSwitch, and in my opinion the original PH is the best PH. Not a fan of spin-off versions.

not to say, the heaviness on RAM of KS...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, the RAM usage was insane last time I had it (on VM). Plus the VDB updates, or was that for CCE only? I can't remember.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
During my XP years, when downloaded CCE which included KillSwitch, it freeze about 5-7 seconds when opened + slow execution of the application itself.

But likely to deal to my old hardware type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.