One last hurdle while using your 5 steps to remove Sweetpage.com browser hijacker

Betti

Thread author
Feb 4, 2014
First of all, your 5 steps to remove the Sweetpage.com hijacker are easy to follow and they worked great. Thank you so much!

I am absolutely a layperson and need to be told exactly what to do with step-by-step instructions.

I am uploading the scan logs from AdwCleaner, Hitman Pro, and JRT Junkware Removal Tool.

My questions (see the uploaded scan results):
1. Hitman Pro is showing five files in the scan results. It shows the first one (SftTree_IX86_U_50.ocs) to be suspicious but no action is recommended. This is the only file that was shown to be "suspicious" ("verdächtig" in German on the screen shot).
--> Should I really just ignore this file?
2. I also don't know what to do about the other four files that were found. They are being shown as a part of Nation Zoom, but Hitman Pro is not recommending any action be taken.
--> What should I do about these four files?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
Betti

Attachments

• AdwCleaner[S0]_Cleanup Bericht_4feb14.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Hitman Pro scan results_4Feb2014.jpg
    Hitman Pro scan results_4Feb2014.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 155
  • JRT_Junkware Removal Tool Bericht.txt
    870 bytes · Views: 197

Betti

Thread author
Feb 4, 2014
Hi Twin,

Thanks for your quick reply and the link. I had the Sweetpage.com malware on my computer.

Do I really need to follow the new steps you linked to above after already having completed the 5 steps I found on your other thread?
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/sweet-page-com-removal/

The Steps you listed on that thread are:

How to remove Sweet-Page.com Homepage – Virus Removal Guide
This page is a comprehensive guide, which will remove Sweet-Page.com from your Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome.
Please perform all the steps in the correct order. If you have any questions or doubt at any point, STOP and ask for our assistance.
STEP 1: Remove Sweet-Page.com browser hijacker from your computer with AdwCleaner
STEP 2: Remove Sweet-Page.com from Internet Explore, Firefox and Google Chrome with Junkware Removal Tool
STEP 3:Clean up the various Windows shortcuts that have been hijacked by Sweet-Page.com virus
STEP 4: Remove Sweet-Page.com malicious files with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
STEP 5: Double-check for the Sweet-Page.com infection with HitmanPro

I completed Steps 1-4 from this thread successfully, and also executed Step 5 with Hitman Pro. My question only applies to the scan results I got from that final step.

However, I will be happy to follow your new procedure if there is no other way to determine what to do about the Hitman Pro scan results.

Thanks & regards,
Betti

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Removal guide you followed is just a basic procedure, and cannot always clean all malware present on computer. Procedure we do here is much more complex and advanced. So if you want full check, then follow link I provided.

Betti

Thread author
Feb 4, 2014
Hi THE,

Thanks for your help. The Sweetpage hijacker disappeared after I performed the basic procedure we wrote about above, but as I understand it, it is still possible that malware is lingering somewhere on my computer, correct?

Ok, I will follow your advice. I have an urgent work deadline to meet and therefore need to carve time out to do the procedure. Or do I NEED to make this an absolute priority immediately before attending to my work deadline to avoid further damage to my laptop?

Thanks,
Betti

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
This is not urgent at all, finish your work and then follow my advice. Making reports is taking probably few minutes, but as I've said, no need to hurry...

Betti

Thread author
Feb 4, 2014
Thanks, Twin! That is a relief :).
I'll be in touch - might take several days, next week at the latest.
I really appreciate your quick responses and the absolutely professional work you all do on this site. Thank you.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.