Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Unless you subscribe to YouTube Premium, you have to deal with watching video ads when you want to check out the latest viral clip on Google's streaming video service. However, one very annoying ad format will be taking its last bows next month.

In a post on YouTube's support site (via Android Police), the service announced that it will no longer support what it calls the "Overlay ads” ad format. Those are the banner ads that show up on the bottom of your YouTube video. However, they only were seen by people who accessed YouTube on the desktop website.

The overlay ads will officially disappear on April 6. Frankly, we don't understand why those ads shouldn't be taken down immediately, but perhaps there are contracts with ad agencies that might delay their disappearance until next month.

Google's YouTube division will likely see some more changes in 2023 under its new leader Neal Mohan. Earlier in March, he posted some of his plans for the business in the next year. That includes expanding revenues for both YouTube and its creators beyond ads. He plans to add more support for subscriptions, additional shopping options, and more.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm using NewPipe. It contacts YT directly, so exposing your IP address. However, like me, if you use Always-On VPN then it's a non-issue

It can download 4K video like YT Revanced. One thing is that the NewPipe app has no trackers. YT Revanced app has some trackers as below

Screenshot-20230307-232119-com-o-F2pks-classyshark3xodus.jpg

Alternatively, can try LibreTube. It's FOSS. Can download 4K videos, has no trackers and works through a proxy to YT, so not exposing your IP address. Don't use a VPN here, otherwise it can cause stuttering videos

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I'm using NewPipe. It contacts YT directly, so exposing your IP address. However, like me, if you use Always-On VPN then it's a non-issue

It can download 4K video like YT Revanced. One thing is that the NewPipe app has no trackers. YT Revanced app has some trackers as below

Screenshot-20230307-232119-com-o-F2pks-classyshark3xodus.jpg

Alternatively, can try LibreTube. It's FOSS. Can download 4K videos, has no trackers and works through a proxy to YT, so not exposing your IP address. Don't use a VPN here, otherwise it can cause stuttering videos
I've used them all. The reason why I still use Revanced/Vanced derivatives is because it has a better layout than NewPipe and it shows recommendations based on behavior instead of showing random videos, which I'm not interested in (like in NewPipe, Skytube, Libretube)

I also have Blokada (adblocker) with filter lists enabled on my Android phone to take care of trackers and other stuff. Exposing my IP address is not a big deal for me.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well this is lovely...NOT. :mad:

As first spotted by a Reddit user this week, YouTube will display a pop-up warning some users that "ad blockers are not allowed."

"It looks like you may be using an ad blocker. Ads allow YouTube to stay free for billions of users worldwide," the message adds.

Upon receiving this notification, users will have two options: either disable their ad blocker to allow YouTube ads or consider subscribing to YouTube Premium to get rid of all advertisements.

Emphasizing that this is still in the testing phase.

Mr.X

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
Is ReVanced MicroG still required to use ReVanced apps?
If so what github repository is legit?

Reactions: plat

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Is ReVanced MicroG still required to use ReVanced apps?
If so what github repository is legit?
I think you need to install it only if you want to login with Google account, not 100% sure though.

Link taken from this guide.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
No. Just no! I refuse to use sites who block adblockers. I'm sure uBlock and Addguard and NextDns will have ways to get around this and still block adds on YouTube. I can't see Google implementing this to all users but I would never trust YouTube with privacy, it's a advertising company after all. It will turn away millions of users and mean less visits. It's like MV3, there will be pushback and it will get delayed and delayed some more.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.