Troubleshoot OneDrive not Reinstalling - Windows 10

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
I've tried reinstalling Onedrive multiple times, after uninstalling it; but it simply does not re-appear on the taskbar. There's a Onedrive option in the start menu; but clicking it does nothing...

Reactions: Andytay70 and Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are you running the latest stable version of Windows 10, or an Insider Preview? Have you restarted (complete reboot cycle) your PC?

Can you try the method below and post back.

When you have tried everything and nothing seems to fix the sync issue. You can reset the OneDrive desktop client sync app.
  1. Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu, and select Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Type the following command: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset and hit Enter.
Source: 9 tips to help you fix OneDrive sync problems on Windows 10

Reactions: Andytay70
Upvote 0
H

hjlbx

How did you remove OneDrive ?

If you used a utility such as WinPrivacy10 - or similar - you might have to undo the changes you made using that utility first in order for re-installation to be possible...

There are a bunch of other possibilities as to why OneDrive is not re-installing; it is difficult to determine the reason(s) - and in the end - you might have to clean install your OS.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
Upvote 0

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hello, please try this:

• Run this (Be sure your folder(s) are not hidden, in the folder settings):
Code:
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\Update\OneDriveSetup.exe
  • Restart your PC

Upvote 0

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I understand if you were paranoid from all the MS spying rubbish but don't believe it! OneDrive is pretty good IMO.

Upvote 0

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
@Huracan : I tried that. Unfortunately, nothing happens. No message in the Command Prompt, nothing. I'm using a stable version of Windows 10.

@hjblx and @J Gamez065 : I used "disablewintracking" ... and now I'm regretting it. OneDrive was excellent, and it didn't shouldn't have mattered what they did. I tried using the "Revert" and "Reinstall Original Apps" without success.

@JM Security : I tried it. I got a lengthy error message about how the file is no longer in that particular location, and that it may have been moved or deleted.

Incidentally from what I remember, I think OneDrive seemed to be loading fine on my other accounts on this PC. I'll just have a look over there and get back to you guys.

Upvote 0
H

hjlbx

DisableWinTracking (GitHub)

OneDrive
Runs C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall (64 bit) or
C:\Windows\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall (32 bit)

Also disables registry entries that keep the OneDrive Icon pinned to your Windows Explorer list:

I would bet that DWT made some other system modifications that are preventing a successful re-install of OneDrive.

It could be a bug, it could be something else...

Upvote 0

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
Resolved the issue. Ran Revo Uninstaller (Selected OneDrive folder and chose Uninstall OneDrive), repeated process a few times, deleted Registry Keys, restarted, and ran the OneDrive setup file. Thank you all. :)

Reactions: Andytay70
Upvote 0

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Resolved the issue. Ran Revo Uninstaller (Selected OneDrive folder and chose Uninstall OneDrive), repeated process a few times, deleted Registry Keys, restarted, and ran the OneDrive setup file. Thank you all. :)
Yes, I knew that the problem was in restoring all setup, etc. Thank you for report that the problem was solved ;)

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.