Online Armor 6 Final released

Status
Not open for further replies.

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
Emsisoft Online Armor is a firewall for demanding users who would like to have full control of all security-related processes in their OS. The improvements are mainly technical: The new version 6.0 contains many refinements and optimizations which you will see during installation in particular and also during every day use.

The most important improvements in Emsisoft Online Armor 6.0:

1. Suitable for Windows 8: Emsisoft Online Armor now supports Microsoft's latest OS.

2. Easier installation: The lengthy initial scan launched by default after installation has been removed, as programs are analysed in real-time when they are started. Online Armor is therefore up and running quicker and you save valuable time.

3. Optimized performance: Efficient rules make Online Armor run noticeably faster. Ideal for use with Emsisoft Anti-Malware!

4. Fewer alerts: Due to the redesigned certificate check you will hardly receive any alerts despite HIPS technology, allowing you to work without being disturbed.
Source: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/kb/articles/news121003/

D

Deleted member 178

:lolz: i just move to Win8 today, and they release the win8 version...they don't want i go back to CIS hah ? :p

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
may be they have found out that you have moved to windows 8 :p

D

Deleted member 178

i followed the link, downloaded the installer, ran it, it says "not compatible"...check the version of the installer > v5 :lolz:

maybe they didnt updated the server yet ^^

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
that's weird....i have already downloaded the installer.....it is version 6....
link: http://download4.emsisoft.com/OnlineArmorSetup.exe

D

Deleted member 178

i will use your link, the one given in the newsletter redirect to CNET...

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
okies emsisoft must have the smallest beta testing window of all security products LOL, if I remember correctly beta version was released only a few days ago.

D

Deleted member 178

yes, closed-betas testings was started 1-2 weeks ago ^^

P

Plexx

Has the memory use been worked on it?

The optimized performance is rather vague thats why I am asking.

since I dont plan to install VB anytime soon due to not having much need for Linux at the moment, might give OA a try to see the impact in gaming.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I wonder how easy is it to disable all of the HIPS features and just use it as a stand-alone firewall for network control only? or it that still possible?

Thanks.:D

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
right click on online armor icon and there you can see option to disable HIPS features...right now i haven't install final version of online armor 6 but in beta version of online armor 6 there was option to disable HIPS...

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
so is it lighter now, last time i used it i dont remember what version but it slowed down my system quite a bit

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
I wonder how easy is it to disable all of the HIPS features and just use it as a stand-alone firewall for network control only? or it that still possible?

yes, you have 2 possibilities, just turn off the HIPS or completely deactivate it (both by right click on tray icon as said Samit) but by disabling it you will loose the Anti-keylogger/file/registry shields.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
It has been a couple of years since I flirted with OA, but I really liked it. Like any good firewall protection, it was a tedious process to whitelist everything and set it up over a month or so, but once configured according to my needs, IT ROCKED. It is very articulate in the intelligence category.

D

Deleted member 178

KelvinW4 said:
Do any of you guys feel any slowdowns with OA like the previous versions?

no visible slowdowns, just the boot time that is a bit longer as expected with this kind of softwares.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
The boot time is an obvious victim of OA for me, I've resigned long time ago to the fact that my boot will increase noticeably. I have never experienced any similar issues with Outpost, privateFirewall, Comodo, Kaspersky, etc.

Never thought about joining the others who reported this to Tall Emu & Emsisoft, since that debate has been going on and on for years, without any reasonable progress.

According to Soluto, OA takes 20-24 seconds and has a disk load of 3 - 3.5 GB on boot.

I was looking forward to OA 6 fixing the issue, and for a moment I thought they've made a massive breakthrough - restarting after downloading the OA Free upgrade went in a flash, only to be disappointed that it's still OA 5 - don't really know what happened there...
And then be disappointed even more once it upgraded properly and I had to face the protracted boot again...

Another improvement I was looking forward to was the Chrome and Sandboxie compatibility fixes. Browsing with Chrome sandboxed worked, a bit too slow, though, so I promptly added Chrome back to the exclusions list in OA.

All in all, this has been an "even Steven" release for me, a case of nothing gained, nothing lost...

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Emsisoft Change(b)log said:
Emsisoft Online Armor 6.0.0.1798 Beta [with Beta updates enabled]:
  • Uninstallers hang – fixed
  • Blocking pending connection requests if a network-related popup is active – fixed
  • Italian translation – updated

Available via updates (with Beta updates enabled) and as installer as well

Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.