Online Scanner For Linux

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Hello,

I am not a regular with Linux OS and don't have much knowledge about it.As per I read on few forums and blogs Linux do support standalone av like avast eset etc.

I want to know is linux support online scan of computer as does windows do?

If yes which av online scan linux os without installing it on computer.

Thanks

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Trentmicro (Housecall) has a JAVA based browser scanner, and a ActiveX windows browser scanner so the JAVA module will be able to scan online your linux.
However i would suggest to get AVG Linux install package as it seems to do a rather good job or go with the Kaspersky boot CD which also can scan your Linux.

Anyway
House Call is a free online virus scanner offered by Trend Micro, which checks whether a computer has been infected by viruses, spyware, or other malware. House Call performs additional security checks to identify and fix vulnerabilities to prevent reinfection. Supported browsers are Mozilla Fire fox and the Mozilla Suite on Windows, Solaris and several Linux distributions using the Java Runtime Environment, as well as Internet Explorer on Windows only, through ActiveX or the Java Runtime Environment.

Housecall click here

Reactions: Paul B.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually due to Linux Operating system, seems most of online scanner could not work since they are based on Windows and specific browser too.

AV's for linux are available and they are same to detect any malicious Windows viruses.

Some are asking to download an exe files in order to operate an online scanner.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Housecall webpage detects your OS. Hence why you get a Java Applet file if you are using LINUX.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
The one that I would use is what n.nvt suggested. Used it before and know it works.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Tried it on Zorion OS which is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and it does not work for me.

When I click on Trendmicro download link its open in Wine and not responded

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Wine does have a bit limitations on which Windows application can run very well due to its OS environment.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.