OokamiCreed's Setup

Windows Edition
Pro
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
Real-time security
Norton Security, Comodo Cloud Antivirus, Adguard, Spyshelter Anti-Keylogger
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Zemana Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox x64 (Lastpass, Xmarks, DownThemAll). Chrome x64 (Lastpass, Authy, Xmarks, MEGA, Tampermonkey, Norton Security Toolbar)
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro (HDD only), Process Lasso, Revo Uninstaller

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
You should add Malwarebytes as another On Demand Scanner. If you don't have exploit protection use Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.

I probably will add Malwarebytes but I rarely use on demand scanners (typically if I detect the slightest hint of infection, I reinstall or restore backup). As for exploit protection, some people have Norton's new anti-exploit module but since it is still rolling out, I haven't yet gotten it but should be good in that soon enough.

Thanks for taking for the time to comment.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has been added (on a side note, for infected systems, nothing really beats Malwarebytes Anti-Malware since it can resist termination and force itself to install - I messed around with it on VM before).

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Yet another update. This update is more of a refined and more polished config from my last.

Still using Norton Security. I am happy that I finally was able to receive the update that added PEP (Norton's own anti-exploit).

I've added Comodo Cloud Antivirus for use of it's convenient sandbox. What do I use it's sandbox for? I use it simply for testing software that I've already identified as safe but do not wish to use a VM or Shadow Defender. It does the job well and it is as simple as that. It can also be used as a kind of anti-executable. The sandbox is set to ask me every time an unknown executable is ran. So no digitial signature or a digital signature not registered in Comodo.

I also use Norton in a similar way. Any launched file (particularly newly downloaded files) have to go through Norton before execution. These of course are installers, nothing more so calling it an outright anti-executable would be false but if I do not allow it to run, it will be closed by Norton.

screenshot_238.png

I've also added Spyshelter Anti-Keylogger. Last time I used this, I was trying out an experimental config that ended in a BSOD... lol so here we are again in a stable configuration that has been used heavily the past 2 weeks. Alongside these other real time software, I am using Process Hacker for it's ability to give off notifications about new services (or deletion of services) within Windows. Also useful for when Task Manager stop responding, etc.

Yet again, another software that I am using is Clipdiary. Unfortunately I always end up needing something I just copied or I end up copying something new and the old is lost. That is where Clipdiary comes in. While this software is supposed to be paid, you can get a free personal license that is not limited in any real way. I question the whole point of a giveaway that I got a key in...

Since this Windows 10 is a fresh install (instead of a restore from backup) I have yet to add Process Lasso. Now Windows 10 is extraordinary at process management unlike some of the previous Windows OS releases however I do still have need for it. It is very helpful for when I play a game called Knights of Honor. This game is old and has a bad memory leak issue which crashes the game when RAM usage for it goes over 150MB of RAM. Process Lasso allows me to trim RAM on any process when a certain limit is hit. Therefore, no more crashes.

Last but not least, I've added VeraCrypt to my configuration. I had it encrypt my Media drive in AES(Twofish). While mounted, I can freely sync with cloud storage like MEGA so not only is data encrypted in the cloud, during transfer, but also on the drive itself. Unfortunately by encrypting the drive, I also encrypted my backups so will have to partition the drive to fix that issue without losing the ability to encrypt a large portion of storage. Basically I'd prefer not to encrypt just folders.

Sorry about the overly long read. Any comments, suggestion, etc are welcome.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I don't know why your config still reads "take caution" -- it's more than secure. Good changes. How's CCAV working nowadays? I've read that it had a rough start.

At first I did not have Smartscreen enabled. Several weeks ago I reenabled it and updated that to show here. If staff does not believe I am secure, that is their opinion and I respect that. I understand why the system is in place but respectfully dislike it for many reasons.

CCAV isn't something I'd rely on for security on its own. I do like some of its signatures and sandbox. Signatures are weak at best but can sometimes find something something else doesn't. It's sandbox (in a VM) seemed to have let out .jpg and .txt files that are opened during ransomware infection. That alone meant there is a hole somewhere. I did a few more tests with it and I haven't seen a similar result... frankly I do not know for sure it the problem was a user mistake or an exploit/hole, etc.

Another problem I noticed is that unlike it's offline signature brother (regular old Comodo Antivirus) it seems a bit heavy. Thumbnails and startup are affected quite a bit. I fixed the problem by lowing max file size scanning to 10MB. These are my settings. So far, Norton and Comodo play very well even without exclusions added.

screenshot_239.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.