OokamiCreed's Setup

Windows Edition
Pro
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
Real-time security
Norton Security, Comodo Cloud Antivirus, Adguard, Spyshelter Anti-Keylogger
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Zemana Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox x64 (Lastpass, Xmarks, DownThemAll). Chrome x64 (Lastpass, Authy, Xmarks, MEGA, Tampermonkey, Norton Security Toolbar)
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro (HDD only), Process Lasso, Revo Uninstaller

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Kaspersky Total Security on high-very high settings. Turned off "Concede resources to the operating system when the computer starts" to attempt to avoid the senario when Kaspersky won't load at all.

That is everything noteworthy.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit running for all browsers, etc.

Other software that I use:

Halite (open source torrent client)
WipeFile (to shred files)
Notepad++ (to replace Notepad and offer a good space to code in)
Bleachbit (junk file cleaning)
Bandicam (for screen recording)
Foobar2000 (for music and tag editing)
PeaZip (file compressing and extraction)
VLC Media Player (for video watching)
MultiHasher (for getting all hash code/comparing hash codes)

Any comments/recommendations are very welcome.
Hello @OokamiCreed, your configuration's very well listed as well as a joy to read!:D
I particularly found your statement:
"Turned off "Concede resources to the operating system when the computer starts" to attempt to avoid the senario when Kaspersky won't load at all." very very instructive & eye o_Oopening too!:D
Thanks for sharing!:):) I like it!:cool:

PS Does your use of bleachbit mean you are also using a linux distro system?

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Hello @OokamiCreed, your configuration's very well listed as well as a joy to read!:D
I particularly found your statement:
"Turned off "Concede resources to the operating system when the computer starts" to attempt to avoid the senario when Kaspersky won't load at all." very very instructive & eye o_Oopening too!:D
Thanks for sharing!:):) I like it!:cool:

PS Does your use of bleachbit mean you are also using a linux distro system?

I'm glad you like it. This little thing did stop Kaspersky from it's not loading habit after a restart/turn on of the system, however it made the boot a lot slower. Currently I am not using Kaspersky right now since I was able to get a free license for ESET (my favorite AV). I find that Kaspersky is hostile toward secondary real time scanning and since it on it's own hasn't been able to catch adware like some other AV's, I decided to ditch it.

I use Bleachbit on my Windows computer (because it's open source and very through). I currently don't have any Linux OS on my computer. I normally install Elementary OS (simply, fast, and does what I need it to without errors which I normally get with Ubuntu based OS but not this one).

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Yet another update that will probably be inaccurate in less than a week (I'm never satisfied with keeping one AV for too long lol)

Added: WinRAR, Google Chrome, Atom, Internet Download Manager, Kaspersky IS 2016 RC, Paragon B&R Free (a real time saver - used it heavily already), Kaspersky Software Updater (beta)

Removed: Dr. Web 11 Beta (most recent installed AV due to overly aggressive web blocking - it broke pages), Download Ninja (causes high disk usage sometimes which causes lockups for 20 or more seconds), Cyberfox (version 39 of Firefox not working that well on my computer - this happens every 2-3 builds of Firefox, no big deal)

I also was on WIndows 10 RTM, then back to Windows 7, now I'm on Windows 10 RTM again. While it isn't supported by many AV, it's stupid fast. Fastest OS I've ever used (don't hate on me for stating a fact of my own experience - I'll ignore any arguments to this)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Yet another update that will probably be inaccurate in less than a week (I'm never satisfied with keeping one AV for too long lol)

Added: WinRAR, Google Chrome, Atom, Internet Download Manager, Kaspersky IS 2016 RC, Paragon B&R Free (a real time saver - used it heavily already), Kaspersky Software Updater (beta)

Removed: Dr. Web 11 Beta (most recent installed AV due to overly aggressive web blocking - it broke pages), Download Ninja (causes high disk usage sometimes which causes lockups for 20 or more seconds), Cyberfox (version 39 of Firefox not working that well on my computer - this happens every 2-3 builds of Firefox, no big deal)

I also was on WIndows 10 RTM, then back to Windows 7, now I'm on Windows 10 RTM again. While it isn't supported by many AV, it's stupid fast. Fastest OS I've ever used (don't hate on me for stating a fact of my own experience - I'll ignore any arguments to this)
There is nothing that could be remotely mistaken for boring on your configuration!:cool: It was great fun to read, and your closing statement a pure joy.:p
Thanks!:D

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015

For me it is a solid improvement of your config ;)

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Removed Kaspersky Software Updater.

Added
FileHippo App Manager (since it's working again). I should probably use SUMo or Secunia since it's more in depth. Doesn't matter to me whether or not it does the updating for me. Just don't like checking to see if everything little thing is up to date (it's very tiring since I have a ton of things installed).

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Seems awesome, thank you for sharing with us :) can't wait to use stable release of windows 10 ;)
By the way it's zemana, you've written zenana, in our language it's meaning is ladies type :p
Haven't you felt a need of secondary browser as well?

Thanks for the correction. It's fixed now. I type very fast and often make mistakes but correct them. Didn't notice that one though. As for secondary browser, I restored my Windows 7 Pro since Windows 10 Pro updates were bugged up (kept acting like there were updates when there wasn't any), and it already had Cyberfox and Chrome installed so I just left Cyberfox on there. I normally have a secondary browser but since Firefox v39 code (which is used by Cyberfox now also) doesn't run so well on my computer. Might install Firefox beta 40 and see if that fixes it.

I will be upgrading to Windows 10 again when it's fully out and those bugs are fixed up. I'm hoping to do a fresh install as long as my Windows 7 key can activate it like with the upgrade to build 10240.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
A few changes but I won't go over everything since as you all know, I never stick to one thing.

Currently using Comodo Internet Security without HIPS (but with auto sandbox on) alongside McAfee Raptor (a behavorial based security product that is supposed to be included in McAfee products after it's done I guess). It's currently free and seems to work very well next to other AV's.

I also am using Potplayer instead of VLC, MusicBee is my current music player, and I'm using Frostwire instead of Halite. With it's features and no ads, it's a done deal for me. Using Auslogics Defrag Pro for disk defragmentation. Working very well for me and the extra features in there help a lot with disk management.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
A few changes but I won't go over everything since as you all know, I never stick to one thing.

Currently using Comodo Internet Security without HIPS (but with auto sandbox on) alongside McAfee Raptor (a behavorial based security product that is supposed to be included in McAfee products after it's done I guess). It's currently free and seems to work very well next to other AV's.

I also am using Potplayer instead of VLC, MusicBee is my current music player, and I'm using Frostwire instead of Halite. With it's features and no ads, it's a done deal for me. Using Auslogics Defrag Pro for disk defragmentation. Working very well for me and the extra features in there help a lot with disk management.
Good updates, friend :)

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Heavily altered configuration so take a look at first post. Added things like MEGA and SpiderOak to replace OneDrive, Using Foriclient AV (which they improved) and Privatefirewall (for zero day protection). This is about half of the changes.

When I can afford it, I will be paying for SpiderOak and use it exclusively (SpiderOak only gives 2GB free which is why I'm using MEGA to - SpiderOak has the most sensitive data such as license text files and keys along with the secret maps of hidden treasure left by Blackbeard).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.