Battle Open source Mail clients for Windows? Mailspring vs Mailtrim vs Telios vs Skiff vs Proton vs Tuta

Compare list
Mailspring
Mailtrim
Telios
Skiff
Proton
Tuta
Platform(s)
  1. Microsoft Windows

misterman2100

Level 2
Verified
Dec 3, 2018
I've used Mailspring, and I found that it was fine handling my email. I have no complaints other than lack of calendar. I mostly used Betterbird based on recommendations. Feels like Thunderbird, but with improvements across the board. If you're looking for more of a traditional email client that's open source, I'd check it out.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Morro and Alexai

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
What do you think about them?
I fail to find FOSS email client that would work just right or at all. Mailspring for example says that it supports 365, yet no OAuth:

capture_02032024_161247.jpg

Reactions: simmerskool

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I mostly used Betterbird based on recommendations. Feels like Thunderbird, but with improvements across the board. If you're looking for more of a traditional email client that's open source, I'd check it out.

Thank you very much for mentioning Betterbird. I had to search a bit on how to import my contacts from Gmail, and how to synch with Google Agenda, but it is now working as it should. :D (y)

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
Thank you very much for mentioning Betterbird. I had to search a bit on how to import my contacts from Gmail, and how to synch with Google Agenda, but it is now working as it should. :D (y)
I just started playing with Linux on my old potato desktop. Although it is easy to get Thunderbird working with mails, I did not manage to sync my agenda (using outlook). Because Microsoft is depreciating Windows mail+agenda, I have to look for somethinng else on my Windows laptop also (using Microsoft Outlook on Android at the moment).

I could switch to using Google calendar (as primary on Android moblle, currently using Outlook for android), so using Betterbird on my Windows11 laptop and Betterbird on my Linux patato PC desktop, I would strike to flies in in one go (you are Dutch also :) so you recognose the saying). So betterbird (on Windows laptop and Linux desktop) suddenly is a appealing alternative for me

Could please you post how you managed to sync Google Calendar (Agenda) with Betterbird or post the links you found (y)

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I just started playing with Linux on my old potato desktop. Although it is easy to get Thunderbird working with mails, I did not manage to sync my agenda (using outlook). Because Microsoft is depreciating Windows mail+agenda, I have to look for somethinng else on my Windows laptop also (using Microsoft Outlook on Android at the moment).

I could switch to using Google calendar (as primary on Android moblle, currently using Outlook for android), so using Betterbird on my Windows11 laptop and Betterbird on my Linux patato PC desktop, I would strike to flies in in one go (you are Dutch also :) so you recognose the saying). So betterbird (on Windows laptop and Linux desktop) suddenly is a appealing alternative for me

Could please you post how you managed to sync Google Calendar (Agenda) with Betterbird or post the links you found (y)

LoL yes I do recognize the saying. :D

And I used this page to learn how to synch Google Calendar with Betterbird. It mentions Thunderbird but they work the same. (y)

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Although it can be resource heavy, I use Thunderbird, particularly since the new Windows Outlook has Ads.

1708080648075.png

I had Office 2013 but that's no longer supported so Thunderbird fulfills my needs but I have been looking around for another option besides subscribing to 365

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.