Opened a malicious .src file

Gary Regis

Thread author
Nov 28, 2017
I received a file in Skype in a zip folder. I opened it and opened the file because I was expecting a file from that particular sender. I wasn't paying attention (my fault), and I opened an .src file. Shortly afterward, I was prompted by Skype to log in. My username and password did not work. I received emails from Skype saying my password had been changed and a new email address was added to my account and my original email address was removed. I contacted Skype about getting my account back. And Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials both say my computer is clean now. But is it safe to use my computer? Is it possible that l still have some new type of malware on my PC that these programs are missing?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.