Opera 69 comes with built-in Twitter

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello again,

We are very happy to announce that Opera has become the first major browser to integrate Twitter, which is now available in the sidebar. In the newest version 69 of the Opera browser for desktop, all theTwitter fans among you can get the best possible experience on your desktop computers.

Opera specializes in providing unique features not typically found in other major browsers and comes with a built-in ad blocker and tracker blocker, free browser VPN, Crypto Wallet, and integrated social media messengers.

The new Twitter feature follows shortly after we launched built-in Instagram support and reached a record number of users in March 2020.

A better Twitter experience

According to a survey we conducted ahead of the launch, 62% of Twitter users in the US wish for the social media platform to be easier to use on their desktop computers.

Twitter_main_view_EN-700x438.jpg

Twitter users think it should be easier to access Twitter on their PCs and we agree: we have now tweaked Opera to make it the perfect browser for them.

Thirty-nine percent of the Twitter users who participated in our survey check the platform several times a day. Using the new Twitter feature directly in Opera makes it more convenient for you to scroll through your feed or search Twitter.

twitter_search-faster_EN-700x438.jpg

The use of a keyboard and a large display makes tweeting or sending direct messages more convenient. Using Twitter directly in the browser’s sidebar is also more convenient than picking up your smartphone or opening a special client app on your PC, especially when it’s breaking news you want to follow. The sidebar integration makes it easier to find Twitter whenever it’s needed.

In simple terms: Whether it’s a Throwback Thursday or a #Caturday, no one likes to waste time looking for the tab where they last opened Twitter.

Having Twitter built into Opera gives you quick access to your main feed, the search function, as well as direct messages, allowing you to respond to unfolding events more quickly.

twitter__messaging_EN-700x438.jpg

To enable Twitter in the Opera browser, you simply have to click the three-dot icon at the bottom of the sidebar and tick Twitter in the Messengers section. With the Twitter icon now in your sidebar, you can log into a Twitter account and you’re all set: you can use Twitter directly from your browser.

All your social media services integrated in your browser

With today’s Twitter integration, Opera is proving once again that it’s the best browser for social media. We have already introduced built-in support for Instagram, Telegram, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and VKontakte in previous releases. After choosing the social media of your choice, it remains always at hand directly in your sidebar.

Twitter_social-media-messengers_EN-700x438.jpg

Twitter Survey results

Opera’s Twitter survey (conducted via Pollfish) gathered responses from 1,000 American internet users concerning how they use Twitter and what their interests are. The respondents were mostly interested in using the platform to find out about breaking news (44%), to keep up with news in general (49%), to pass time (44%) and to see what people are talking about while watching TV, sports or live events (26%).

As far as popular hashtags go, #Staysafe was known to 53% of people, followed by #HumpDay (51%), #tbt (36%), #FoodieFriday (35%) and #MondayMotivation (31%).

A new weather widget

Twitter_weather_EN-700x438.jpg

The newest version of Opera also includes a new weather widget on the start page. It welcomes you with Opera’s hometown of Oslo but once you set it to your location, it keeps you informed about the weather wherever you’re located.

Improved visual tab cycler

R2020__blog-post-image-03-700x438.jpg

Remember our visual tab cycler (Ctrl+Tab)? We have now improved it by making more tabs visible and making the tiles larger.

Improvements to Workspaces

We just wouldn’t be ourselves if we didn’t continue tweaking our most recently added features. Workspaces, a tool which allows you to group tabs according to the context you use them in, is no exception.

With Opera 69 we have added an option to the context menu which allows you to open a link in one of your Workspaces. And once you do open a link in a different Workspace, or move a webpage between Workspaces, you now get a notification dot on the Workspace that you have moved it to.

If you’re a MacOS user, the Window menu will now also display a list of your Workspaces.

That’s it for now. We hope you enjoy our new release – feel free to Tweet about it.

Happy browsing!

The full changelog.

Installation links:

Source: Opera 69 comes with built-in Twitter - Blog | Opera Desktop

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

Great development!(y):coffee:

Updated and I must say the brand new sidepanel configuration is another step in the right direction.
The newest version of Opera also includes a new weather widget on the start page. It welcomes you with Opera’s hometown of Oslo
Oslo? Shouldn't that be, Beijing. :p:LOL: What many people don't know is that the head office still remains in Norways main capital Oslo. Go Norway! :emoji_beer:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I am using Opera on my Windows devices and I am very happy with it; it is fast and stable. Unfortunately, I am experiencing issues when it comes to Facebook video playback on Ubuntu 20.0.4 and it only happens on Opera. Most of the time, Facebook videos do not play and when they do, there is no sound. Facebook runs perfectly on every other browser.

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
I wonder if Opera ever thought through it's mass appeal. I mean, such features are great so long as you're a home/private user. I cannot imagine any enterprise/business use case of a browser that gives so many social media options, that too so easily accessible!

Don't get me wrong, Opera is my favourite browser. But I really cannot consider using it at work, nor will my employer be happy if I ever get it on my work PC.

So far I am still to see better choices than Firefox and Chrome for work use. Yandex comes close, but it doesn't always play nice with AV products, plus it's Russian and of course that won't fly if you're working at a North American or Chinese-funded organisation (maybe Europe takes it better?).

What I'm saying is, the easiest way for a browser to gain market share is to get the product installed on enterprise desktops/laptops. But with Opera, the direction this product is heading, it does not look possible.

I mean, look at them - social media, gaming browser - it has all the trappings of an Asian company with the heart of a European... :D

Last edited:
Reactions: roger_m

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Opera is mostly developed in Poland. The office in Oslo is at best a skeleton crew existing for statutory purposes.
I wonder if Opera ever thought through it's mass appeal. I mean, such features are great so long as you're a home/private user. I cannot imagine any enterprise/business use case of a browser that gives so many social media options, that too so easily accessible!

So far I am still to see better choices than Firefox and Chrome for work use. Yandex comes close, but it doesn't always play nice with AV products, plus it's Russian and of course that won't fly if you're working at a North American or Chinese-funded organisation (maybe Europe takes it better?).

What I'm saying is, the easiest way for a browser to gain market share is to get the product installed on enterprise desktops/laptops. But with Opera, the direction this product is heading, it does not look possible.

I mean, look at them - social media, gaming browser - it has all the trappings of an Asian company with the heart of a European... :D
Personal I don't care if their head office so would be placed on the Moon. It's what they produce/create that matters for me. The constant Chinese/Russian " bogeyman " is just sad to watch and I try avoid speculate as it's just a waste of time and energy. I know what they are worth ( real stock exchange ) and for example many other browsers don't even exist on Nasdaq = genuine business. Opera does.

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
upnorth said:
The constant Chinese/Russian " bogeyman " is just sad to watch and I try avoid speculate as it's just a waste of time and energy.

That stuff is unfortunately not up to us, the organisation and the government decides. For example, a government official cannot use Zoom for official works in my country as of right now, and one cannot use AVG/Avast in China (HK excluded). I personally enjoy the app, but a lot of this stuff is out of our hands (plus, such things create a lot of headaches for me depending on where I am and who I am dealing with at the moment).

upnorth said:
I know what they are worth ( real stock exchange ) and for example many other browsers don't even exist on Nasdaq = genuine business. Opera does.

Opera is listed because they have a lot of business interests other than just browser development. The browser isn't making them money, their financial transactions/loans business is. Opera has been forced to focus more on those aspects because the browser market share has not grown like the owners had anticipated at the time of acquisition.

From that point of view, I was wondering that if the goal is to monetize the browser development, you'd probably think a lot about getting the browser pre-installed on as many computers as possible...

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
That stuff is unfortunately not up to us, the organisation and the government decides. For example, a government official cannot use Zoom for official works in my country as of right now, and one cannot use AVG/Avast in China (HK excluded). I personally enjoy the app, but a lot of this stuff is out of our hands (plus, such things create a lot of headaches for me depending on where I am and who I am dealing with at the moment).

Opera is listed because they have a lot of business interests other than just browser development. The browser isn't making them money, their financial transactions/loans business is. Opera has been forced to focus more on those aspects because the browser market share has not grown like the owners had anticipated at the time of acquisition.

From that point of view, I was wondering that if the goal is to monetize the browser development, you'd probably think a lot about getting the browser pre-installed on as many computers as possible...
Financial transactions is exactly what occurs on a stock exchange. That makes money.

Operas goals is of course as any other business, to make money. The Chinese acquiring was an obvious part of that. How they tend to proceed in the future is pretty clear available here :
They also made a very smart move with Opera News.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.