Opera becomes the first browser with built-in TikTok

Will the built-in TikTok feature in Opera make you switch to this browser?

• Yes

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • I might do it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hey Opera fans!

Are you also TikTokers? Are you like two out of three of our survey respondents who wish that TikTok was built into the sidebar of the Opera browser, just like Instagram, Twitter, or WhatsApp? Well, wish no more! We’ve gone ahead and integrated the app right into our flagship browser following results of our user survey, which showed that 65 percent of the people who use TikTok from the 18-35 age group would like to use it in their desktop browser as well.

People love TikTok for so many reasons. From an entertainment standpoint it’s hard to match – so much content all of the time! But we know you also enjoy TikTok for other uses well, including following the news, staying on top of emerging trends, and watching tutorials or lectures.

Cooking tutorial on TikTok in the Opera sidebar

Plenty of that is easily accomplished with your smartphone, while on the go – but not everything! What if you’re attempting a new recipe and you need your hands free to cook – and to not, critically, get your greasy fingers all over the phone itself? With a mobile-only configuration of TikTok, that situation has “dropped phone” written all over it. Perhaps you’re watching a correspondent deliver his update on the latest news – something you’d prefer to view on a bigger screen as you multitask at your desk? Or maybe you’re just in bed watching funny videos, but for the life of you, you just don’t want to have to hold onto that phone any longer. Well, today’s release makes Opera the only browser to offer a way to enjoy TikTok without opening a separate app or having to search through tabs.

Search TikTok through the Opera sidebar

So now you can enjoy your favorite videos with the benefit of a large screen, hands free to do whatever you like. But there are still more reasons why you might jump to start TikToking on your desktop. If you’re a content creator, for example, you can upload your videos to TikTok directly from the browser, allowing you to edit on a larger screen before uploading. Or, if you want to do some work or browse the web without distraction, you can choose when you hop into the “For Your Feed” with greater control. Accessing TikTok via the Opera desktop also you’re not sharing any more data than what you would with a website, and you can always turn on our ad blocker or free, built-in VPN as well as the device-wide VPN PRO.

TikTok post function in the Opera sidebar

Enabling the TikTok feature in the Opera browser

If you already use the Opera browser, you can enable TikTok by clicking the three dots at the bottom of the Opera sidebar and enabling it in the Messengers section of the Sidebar. If you’re not an Opera user – we hope we have convinced you by now you should become one. Go download the Opera browser! Once you’ve completed that simple step, it’s all done: you can start enjoying your favorite TikTok content from right there within Opera.

Source: Opera becomes the first browser with built-in TikTok

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
It may be my misunderstanding or lack of knowledge, but I have a strong impression that TikTok feeds on information such as privacy. Therefore, it is a negative group against the relationship between browsers and TikTok becoming too close.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
It may be my misunderstanding or lack of knowledge, but I have a strong impression that TikTok feeds on information such as privacy. Therefore, it is a negative group against the relationship between browsers and TikTok becoming too close.
I 'misunderstand' Tik-Tok similarly but I don't think our shared 'lack of knowledge' causes us to mistakenly be very wary of Tik-Tok.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
No, your very correct, but the users of TikTok cares zero. Same as a majority of users in other browsers that comes with pre-builtin Facebook connectors, because the vendors gets paid for it and it's sadly hardcoded and some geeks even delusional think they can block it.

Opera from a pure developer perspective done a brilliant work in this case again with their sidebar and shows more of the potential, and other major browsers developers follow it very closely and as usual love to copy. Edge as a very good example when they added a sidebar of their own, but they are still far behind.

Personal I'm not a genuine Tiktok user, but I do admit it's hard to avoid look when possible. 🥵

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018

"Key Points
  • Federal Bureau of Investigation Director Christopher Wray told lawmakers Tuesday that he is "extremely concerned" about TikTok's operations in the U.S.
  • Wray's remarks build on those from other government officials and members of Congress who have expressed deep skepticism about the ability of the Chinese-owned video platform to protect U.S. user information from an adversarial government.
  • He assured lawmakers that "it is certainly something that's on our radar and we share your concerns."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.