Opera Or Vivaldi browser?

Y

yigido

For security, none. Chrome in my opinion is the most secure. Opera vs Vivaldi? I choose Opera since it's more mature, Vivaldi only came out last year. They're both great browsers, very innovative, aesthetic and are user-friendly.
Chrome in my opinion is the most secure.
what are the differences between Chrome and Opera? or Vivaldi? Whats your opinion? They all based on same core, same lockdowns etc

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
If you would have asked me this question a year ago, I would have said Opera. Now that Vivaldi is more mature, I say without doubt Vivaldi.
I'm a user of Opera since before they used Chromium and then they had many features for power users. Now they don't have that and they are simplifying the browser and adding more popular and 'general' things like VPN and adblocker, while Vivaldi focusses on other things like mail, mouse gestures, customization.... and because they are going to restore the old opera 12, I use Vivaldi. But both are great browsers. Vivaldi is still in early stage, Opera is already more fine tuned.

Y

yigido

From where do you think they earn money to keep the vpn free?
So where the other browsers earn their money?
Opera bought the SurfEasy VPN company.. and Opera's built-in VPN is from them. Same privacy policy with SurfEasy..
VPN in Opera is so basic and limited locations for FREE..if you want more locations you should buy SurfEasy subscription. This is where the money comes and Opera also advertising company (like Google).. People only know Opera as a browser company but
look at this : Home | operamediaworks.com

I do not care where they money get..I use my desktop VPN. I love the Opera because nice squared tabs, lean and most stable browser on the market. They have very good populer and what people needs features. They will bring more mouse gestures and RSS soon..
I do not know what old Opera users want more..

Vivaldi also a good browser and have good old features (from Opera 12)..but after more than 1 year.. it is still buggy. People claim Opera switched to Chromium and I left Opera 15+ ..what Vivaldi uses guys? Presto ?.. nah.. again Chromium :)

The poll will lead nowhere.. the results will be equal :)
But I am happy.. people in the past asked "Google vs Firefox" now we are seeing "Opera vs Vivaldi" :)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I do not know what old Opera users want more..

Vivaldi also a good browser and have good old features (from Opera 12)..but after more than 1 year.. it is still buggy. People claim Opera switched to Chromium and I left Opera 15+ ..what Vivaldi uses guys? Presto ?.. nah.. again Chromium :)
They use Chromium, because it would take ages to make a new browser engine and they also don't have the team to make that. Their team only have about 30 people or so, while Opera has hundreds of them. Presto hasn't been developed since 4 years so it's not a good idea to bring that back alive.
What old Opera users want more? Well in Opera you still don't have tab stacking, tab tiling, customisable mouse gestures, mail client, torrent downloader, Opera Unite, fit to width, hotclick, panels like they were in Opera 12, skins, Opera dragonfly, Sync like it was in the days of Opera link..... and I can go on for a while.
I admit that lot's of these aren't in Vivaldi yet too, but they are planning to implement these asap. Opera is already busy from 2013 with the Chromium Opera and still they haven't implemented most of these (they already made clear much of them even won't return.)
People never understand when Opera 12 users are talking about the importance of these ones, but if you are so used to them and they aren't there for more than 3 years now, you really miss it.
But I also admit that Vivaldi needs improvements in speed and lag, but like I said the team is really small compared to Opera and the brower has been out for a about a year and a half now, so I can live with it. And we got some O12 features already in return of our patience :)
And of course I'm not saying the current Opera is a bad product. Not at all! They just focus on different things now as they did in the past. The want a very fast and simple browser, Vivaldi wants to serve the what they call 'power users' with unique features that maybe other people don't want.

HeroCloudAntivirus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
@kev216 i agree with you on the point that vivaldi needs speed and bug improvement.
I downloaded Vivaldi and tried it since some of you guys suggested it, the UI was brilliant but on ubuntu the lag is real although i have a decent computer (i7, Nvidia...). I uninstalled it and tried opera and it is really great im actually using it right now! :)
Thank for the reply, Appreciated!

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
@kev216 thats it :) it is a matter of taste. You like and missed them so you are using Vivaldi. Many avarage Joe, for example me, do not use most of those advanced features ;)
So poeple wants old Opera features try Vivaldi and wait for updates. Opera is Opera..you know the features. Try both and decide :) @HeroCloudAntivirus
Well said @yigido. That summarizes the thread and answers the question here completely. There is a browser for everyones taste and needs. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.