Opinion needed about MSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
I have no problem with mse other than the detection will probably be lower than other av's but otherwise i like it, feels light on the system, doesnt bother the user very much.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
I used it for three years, only action it saw was a police hijack page which it caught and cleaned it off my machine. I stick to stuff in my bookmarks so I don't go to any dodgy sites. Doesn't have any financial, banking, shopping protection is the only reason I switched to another AV that has a virtualized browser and sandbox.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Was never a fan, its got below average detection, nothing but a signature engine, removal can increase CPU/RAM usage. I would never use it on its own.

Its decent if you have a brain and some common sense however.

souhrid

Level 5
Jun 29, 2012
In my opinion MSE is an exellent stuff for extreme gamers...but considering it's excessive threat removal there are other good options too..(eset,webroot etc).....

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
MSE is really an excellent AV for users who do pay attention and don't click on everything they see on a webpage. I have many customers that simply love MSE because it doesn't conflict with their other software and never has false positives. Who cares about the so-called detection rate listed on paid sponsored AV testing sites? If MSE was the best then where would they get their funds then? I have customers that use BitDefender, Kaspersky and others that have just as many infections as users that only use MSE. Knowledge it is key, without that any solution free or paid will fail you. It is also better for novice users since it does everything automatically without user response.

Thanks. :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Personally it's a great AV if you're the kind of user who likes to install and forget. Has very little user interaction.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Windows Defender (MSE) provides me with the line of antivirus protection I need without being over the top and excessive on useless bloat-like features that I personally don't and will never use nor do I get flooded in popups and advertisements shown in other free solutions.

Windows Defender along with the added security of what Windows 8 provides sided with Windows Firewall, UAC and SmartScreen provides me with enough protection, But I don't rely on any security product as none of them can provide 100% guaranteed protection so I have created backup system images with Windows Backup incase any issues arise.

Windows Defender is as simple as it gets while doing the job I want it to.

I use Windows Defender based on my own personal experience and no so-called detection rate listed paid sponsored AV testing site is going to make me think otherwise.

No need to stack multiple layers of security products on top of each other unless you don't trust your own knowledge and are over paranoid. The best layer of protection one can get is your brain, Learn the difference between what's safe and what's not, watch what you click, what you download, Use free services such as VirusTotal to check unknown downloads, make sure to un-tick the boxes that install adware when installing a legitimate application, I could go on. You will spend more time getting your drivers license then you'll need to educate yourself on web security to protect yourself.

Thanks.

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I choose the mse 4 last week on my pc and after starting the computer and finish the upgrade essentials antivirus free a lot of memory. Plus detects all malware but only eliminates after restarting the machine. I Recommend to install in your PC the ccleaner free edition and iobit smart degraf v.2.8.1. Good luck!

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
cdnsempre said:
I choose the mse 4 last week on my pc and after starting the computer and finish the upgrade essentials antivirus free a lot of memory. Plus detects all malware but only eliminates after restarting the machine. I Recommend to install in your PC the ccleaner free edition and iobit smart degraf v.2.8.1. Good luck!

I would not touch an iobit product with a ten foot pole.

D

Deleted member 178

ran Win8 built-in security since 3-4 months , never got any infections; if i have to do risky things, i load Shadow Defender.

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Amiga500 said:
cdnsempre said:

So what is the alternative to Iobit Samrt degraf?
I also forgot that I installed on my pc CleanMem free to clear the cache and release even more meméia RAM.

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Umbra Polaris said:
ran Win8 built-in security since 3-4 months , never got any infections; if i have to do risky things, i load Shadow Defender.
Windows 8 will not modify the security to keep Windows Defender / MSE with active protection.
I managed to adapt the Portuguese language throughout my operating system.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Let me guess the Malwarebytes-IObit fiasco?

Amiga500 said:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Split Topics. To continue discussion regarding PC Maintenance, see here.

Thank you.

acme

Level 1
Apr 29, 2012
I tried a lot of other FREE and paid security and end up with MSE every time. Since MSE blends in with Windows operating system you get no blue screens or slow downs unless a major error happens to the system :) We tried a lot of R and X rated sites and MSE caught all the Trojans\Malware. We have Emsisoft anti-malware Pro and use the real-time scanning and 'Exceptions' rule in both MSE and Emsisoft. It's cheap and works.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.