Winter Soldier

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Hello

I'm member since a few days and I really like MT, just I would like to make an honest remark or suggestion, if you want, about some recent threads I've read.

I think the opinion of other people should be respected no matter what our opinion is.

But it should be useful to investigate to understand which of the two opinions comes closer to the reality of things (and get closer to the reality of our imperfection as human, is the only thing that we can do).

When a user wants to impose his idea on another user, then there is no room for discussion. The discussion, the dialogue begins when people, not only leave to express the opinion, but respect it.
When someone is talking over another user then the message is clear: this user doesn't care what the other thinks, because it is absolutely convinced that he has the truth in the pocket.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
As a community, it is important to respect each other's opinions. The problem lies, however, when those opinions are based on misinformation or lack of understanding. In those cases, it is understandable if a member tries to help/correct another.

In this age, information spreads like wildfire. Regardless whether such information a reliable or not. You can search online for many clickbait articles, one person makes an article saying A is bad another person copies it and so on without verifying its authenticity. Our opinions can grow over time. The more article say something is bad, the more general opinion will shift towards that mentality. Of course I'm not saying all articles are incorrect.

Hello

I'm member since a few days and I really like MT, just I would like to make an honest remark or suggestion, if you want, about some recent threads I've read.

I think the opinion of other people should be respected no matter what our opinion is.

But it should be useful to investigate to understand which of the two opinions comes closer to the reality of things (and get closer to the reality of our imperfection as human, is the only thing that we can do).

When a user wants to impose his idea on another user, then there is no room for discussion. The discussion, the dialogue begins when people, not only leave to express the opinion, but respect it.
When someone is talking over another user then the message is clear: this user doesn't care what the other thinks, because it is absolutely convinced that he has the truth in the pocket.

You need thick skin to be on the security forums. You can't be sensitive. You have to cope with the nonsense. A lot of problems are the result of drive-by jump-in and troll posts by those that don't read the full thread before posting. There's a lot of "I-want-to-regale-you-with-my-faux-bravura" and highly-opinionated people too. Finally, these threads and posts are not normal human conversations. There's a lot of misunderstanding already built-in to posts and threads. How you interpret something is very easily different than the poster's intent and meaning.

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017
I have been reading this forum several times per week since early 2011. I only just joined January this year.

Why did it take me so long to join?

For many of the reasons that the OP has stated. None of us want to be made to feel like an idiot because our question or statement was clumsy or taken out of context.

Over the years there have been numerous times when I said to myself "Wow! This person may have something special here" only to see their ideas shot down in flames and never really able to germinate because an individual needed to dominate the thread and prove that they were right and knew so much more.

Unfortunately that is the nature of the beast. There are always going to be those who have a need to impress, rather than express. What they are saying maybe technically right but their immaturity doesn't allow them to see that rightness is relative.

This may seem ridiculous to some, but there are people on this forum who are like rockstars to me. Indeed for years I would rarely search the forum by subject - I would simply search by their names. When finally this year I had the opportunity (after so many years of anonamously watching the rockstars evovle and grow) to intereact with them, I felt like a nervous fanboy.

When I see the rockstars being disrespected I do find it difficult not get a tad plugged in. They have given so much of their time and knowledge and I can cut them some slack if they do lose some of their patience when trying to deal with the 'would be if they could be' who is giving dangerous advice.

This forum has reminded me that there are 3 types of people in the world:

1. There are those who know and know they know
2. There are those who do not know but think they know
3. There are those who do not know and know they do not know

The first group one should follow. The second group one should ignore. And the third group one should teach.

Last edited:

I have been reading this forum several times per week since early 2011. I only just joined January this year.

Why did it take me so long to join?

For many of the reasons that the OP has stated. None of us want to be made to feel like a dick because our question or statement was clumsy or taken out of context.

Over the years there have been numerous times when I said to myself "Wow! This person may have something special here" only to see their ideas shot down in flames and never really able to germinate because an individual needed to dominate the thread and prove that they were right and knew so much more.

Unfortunately that is the nature of the beast. There are always going to be those who have a need to impress, rather than express. What they are saying maybe technically right but their immaturity doesn't allow them to see that rightness is relative.

This may seem ridiculous to some, but there are people on this forum who are like rockstars to me. Indeed for years I would rarely search the forum by subject - I would simply search by their names. When finally this year I had the opportunity (after so many years of anonamously watching the rockstars evovle and grow) to intereact with them, I felt like a nervous fanboy.

When I see the rockstars being disrespected I do find it difficult not get a tad plugged in. They have given so much of their time and knowledge and I can cut them some slack if they do lose some of their patience when trying to deal with the 'would be if they could be' who is giving dangerous advice.

This forum has reminded me that there are 3 types of people in the world:

1. There are those who know and know they know
2. There are those who do not know but think they know
3. There are those who do not know and know they do not know

The first group one should follow. The second group one should ignore. And the third group one should teach.

If you think it can be bad on the open forum, you should see what happens behind the scenes in the PM system. And it just isn't an MT thing. All these security forums generate the same sort of "stuff."

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
It is that way on every forum no matter what the topic.
There are forum rules and these address just such issues.
It is better to report a post than to get sucked in by a bad apple and then you are just as wrong as the person who started the problem.
As you get to know the site you will find that you know the players and you will know who to interact with and who to avoid.
Some members who are very knowledgeable are passionate about security so you shouldn't take some comments to heart.
As for the forum,every member is important and every member is entitled to participate in the forum no matter what their level of experience is.
Most member problems can be avoided by not letting yourself get lured into arguments by those that are just here to cause problems.

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017
If you think it can be bad on the open forum, you should see what happens behind the scenes in the PM system. And it just isn't an MT thing. All these security forums generate the same sort of "stuff."

I totally agree. It is NOT just an MT thing. My comments were not meant to be a put down of MT. Words have away of getting in the way. It is easy to forget that there are real people both receiving and sending comments.

Indeed I am very grateful that the moderator rightly corrected my language because it may be offensive to some people especially from different cultures. I was so focused on trying to get my later points across that I totally forgot to remind myself how others may feel or respond.

@Exterminator Thank you twice. One for the language edit and two for post #6.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

If some people (often the sources of argues) were doing a bit of research before posting, instead of "parroting" an article coming "out of nowhere" without even reading it , then they will be no room to argues.

Many "trolls" support their points by quoting biased and wrong articles/documents that fit their opinion. If the document was verified as legit,we won't have any argues/dramas.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Indeed I am very grateful that the moderator rightly corrected my language because it may be offensive to some people especially from different cultures. I was so focused on trying to get my later points across that I totally forgot to remind myself how others may feel or respond.
@Exterminator Thank you twice. One for the language edit and two for post #6.
I understand.I figured a subtle hint might do the trick and not require a need for anything else ;)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I completely agree with your statement. Even if the opinion of someone else is miles away from yours, you still need to show respect for each other. I've noticed this behaviour too on the forum lately.
For example, everyone has his or her favorite software and of course in your eyes it is the best, but you can only have a healthy conversation if you can also admit and tolerate someone else talking about the weak points of that software. And that's what I sometimes miss in threads on the forum.
But of course you can't get around the fact that this is a forum with members from all across the globe, with different cultures, ages, experiences and knowledge. Often the language barrier also causes some problems or misunderstandings while not intended.
But it's true that sometimes people hijack a thread to force and impose their opinion to the others while not having a listening ear for what others have to say or argue about that opinion. Its sometimes difficult to admit our mistakes.
The times are changing and not only on forums but also on social media some people set up a mask and are a whole different - often in the bad way - person than in real life. You better ignore those people, but on the other hand it's them that are changing the whole thing. I also feel that the atmosphere on MT in general have much changed over the past years. The overall activity is a bit less than before, and while I had the feeling that when I joined MT in 2014 that everyone were close friends with everyone and that we all had a certain connection with each other, now its falling down into multiple pieces. I often miss those times, but with the changing society they probably won't come back.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I completely agree with your statement. Even if the opinion of someone else is miles away from yours, you still need to show respect for each other. I've noticed this behaviour too on the forum lately.
For example, everyone has his or her favorite software and of course in your eyes it is the best, but you can only have a healthy conversation if you can also admit and tolerate someone else talking about the weak points of that software. And that's what I sometimes miss in threads on the forum.
But of course you can't get around the fact that this is a forum with members from all across the globe, with different cultures, ages, experiences and knowledge. Often the language barrier also causes some problems or misunderstandings while not intended.
But it's true that sometimes people hijack a thread to force and impose their opinion to the others while not having a listening ear for what others have to say or argue about that opinion. Its sometimes difficult to admit our mistakes.
The times are changing and not only on forums but also on social media some people set up a mask and are a whole different - often in the bad way - person than in real life. You better ignore those people, but on the other hand it's them that are changing the whole thing. I also feel that the atmosphere on MT in general have much changed over the past years. The overall activity is a bit less than before, and while I had the feeling that when I joined MT in 2014 that everyone were close friends with everyone and that we all had a certain connection with each other, now its falling down into multiple pieces. I often miss those times, but with the changing society they probably won't come back.
Couldn't agree more! :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
On certain types of channels, YouTube comments' section are a plague of diseases, and these are people ranging from 8 to 96.

Youtube need mods :D

They do have video mods. The people employed are in Malaysia - sit in a dark room all day long and screen videos that have been uploaded. They showed on television the stuff that they have to screen. It's as bad as you can imagine.

But, yes, no comments section mods.

Youtube is a mix of good and garbage - just like everything else on the net. Good, bad and ugly... it's bad for kids.

Reactions: shukla44

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.