Not open for further replies.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Innovative Solutions, the company behind DriverMax and Advanced Uninstaller, have just released thier own antivirus, Orange Defender.

According to their website, it is "The best security system ever created." In reality, it is a very basic antivirus using the same UI design they use for their other products, and Avira's scan engine. As you can see from the screenhots below the UI is extremely basic. It would seem that is has no proactive protection.

You can buy it for just $15 (but I don't know why you would). The trial version if fully functional for 30 days.

OD.png OD2.png

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Will give it a run in a VM. I expect a breach once a signature does not detect something. No proactive and no web blocking is already something to frown upon. At least it's cheap... not. Look at these prices. $15 is cheap for a year but not for 30 days. $180 a year if you select that. Of course they would recommend it. lol

screenshot_151.png

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
$ 15 for a 30 days license? What the hell are they thinking?

If you want to pay for Avira engine your best bet is unsurprising Avira Pro and if you dont wanna pay guess what would be the best option? :p

(Qihoo 360 uses Avira too and is quite nice)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Lol who on this planet would pay that much for a license for 30 days. Why do they even offer a license for such a short time? o_O
But anyway, thanks for sharing, like every new product worth a try, but if it's only Avira engine and nothing more than that, then I don't see any reason why to pay for this.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Same fate percentage like others when the just rely on a borrowed license engine. The only thing concern is purely basic that although helpful on others to minimize the complications but it should contains enough arsenals to carefully exam the threats like ESET or Bitdefender as an example.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Testing it in a VM, for version 1.0 it has no quarantine section, it replaces the malware with files which have an extension named .QUARANTINE , just more files to deal with.:rolleyes:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Having tested for more than 3 hours, I am still trying to find the answer to a simple quote they placed on the website:
"The best security system ever created"

Ill start by saying:
Indeed detection rate is good, however when it comes to removal, dear god, the CPU was busy like it was on 5 cans redbull straight, I/O writes were high.
Did it remove the infection? According to the program it did. Further inspection, well sort of.

There is no innovation. If a company is going to launch an AV solution following traditional methods, please do not make the bold statement of best security system ever created.

Is it worth the price? I rather pay for Avira, that sums up the answer to such question.

Worth using the solution? Free versions of other solutions perform better. Just because company uses virus signatures from a source, does not mean is the best at performing the tasks given.

I will however give them the following credit: It resided in my VM for 3 and a half hours, breaking the record over some other entry level solutions. But that is because I wanted to find an answer which I am still yet to find and I highly doubt anyone will be able to even answer that question.

Oh and one feedback: At least have a forum for some sort of support. That is all I am saying.

L

LabZero

This is just a way to make money.

Good presentation of a product is the first marketing technique and many new companies use this method based on appearance and not on the actual quality of the same.

There is no "substance" or innovation: why should I spend my money when Avira is free?

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@Kate_L It's most definitely not a rouge. Innovation Solutions is a well known company and was established in 1997. Also, it's using Avira's scan engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.