Solved Orbit Downloader and Firefox 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
Is anybody using Orbit Downloader with a sandboxed Firefox 15 (via Sandboxie) here...?
I recently downloaded/installed Orbit Downloader 4.1.1.2 but it would not integrate with Firefox or Chrome sandboxed or not. Now I saw a thread at SBIE forums about the use of FlashGot that can automatically trigger the download manage but I do not know for Chrome....

Can it be safely integrated in Firefox 15 and Chrome 21 without the use of an add-on?

D

Deleted member 178

The problem with OD is the slow development so we can't use it with new FF releases, i used it before then i switched to IDM.

Upvote 0

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
you may try IDA (Internet Download Accelerator), free alternative of IDM.....
they have both free and Paid versions, free versions have almost all features, i never felt that something is missing........

http://westbyte.com/ida/index.phtml?page=download&lng=English

Upvote 0

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
Thanks for the response guys. I was using FDM - Free Download Manager(from Flashget) and was trying out something new really. The problem with FDM is I always have to edit the "install.rdf" file to make it work on the latest Firefox version. Well at least that was working(the hack I mean). I do not have IDM (the no.1 in the market now) but it's not free and the giveaways I joined got me zero ha ha :)

Is IDA compatible with FF15.01..? Chrome 21? Iron 21? Opera 12.01? Anyone other than tapoo using it?

Is it feasible to have two download managers in a machine? Have not tried that until now where I disabled FDM in favor of Orbit. Will uninstall Orbit.

Can I use both or two at the same time? Or 1 for Firefox and 1 for Chrome?

Will there be any issues...except of course the bandwidth..?

Hmmm...is there a poll somewhere that members have voted for a free download manager before...?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

jasonX said:
Is it feasible to have two download managers in a machine? Have not tried that until now where I disabled FDM in favor of Orbit. Will uninstall Orbit.

it is possible, but useless ;)

Can I use both or two at the same time? Or 1 for Firefox and 1 for Chrome?

depend if you can select the browsers.

Will there be any issues...except of course the bandwidth..?

one issue that may happen is that each downloader will try to tweak your connections settings. So you should test them but choose one.

Hmmm...is there a poll somewhere that members have voted for a free download manager before...?

i remembered one but forgot exactly where (thy to look here) , IDM was the winner among the paid.

Upvote 0

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
IDM gets a lot of updates and delivers fantastic speed. Believe me I used Orbit and then switched to FDM, FDM had great speeds but IDM just beats it out. IDM is the best. If you want to try you can try DAP Free version. It also gives high speeds.
Thank god I was fortunate enough to win IDM in the recent digiarty promo.

Upvote 0

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply.

@Umbra,
it is possible, but useless Wink
-- How so? (sorry, just wanting to have a clear scenario --nice learning here!)

depend if you can select the browsers.
-- In FDM/Orbit (do not know about the other freeware) I see a setting there which is "Monitor" from which you can select the browser it will monitor. Problem is when sandboxed through SBIE it will not work for Chrome (--that's for FDM, Orbit would not work at all).

Thanks again for the help.

@malbky,

I must have entered a whole lot of giveaways for IDM maybe around 50+ since 2010 but I was not that lucky. ALWAYS ended up empty-handed. Other users of IDM really say that it's the best and I myself have seen it's speed. A movie (1.5hours length) will only take a bout 20minutes to download!

Will check out DAP. Thanks!

Upvote 0

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
@malbky,

I just installed DAP free and I was surprised to see all my browsers having SpeedBit as default page and default search engine. I do not remember anything in the installation that all will be changed except for my mistake of allowing the DAP Link checker(Have disabled that also). How can I change it back to Google?

DAP.jpg

Thanks!

Upvote 0

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
@Umbra,

That's what I did earlier. It got Iron/Opera and Google Chrome back to where I wanted it but not in FF. I resorted to using the about:config>keyword.URL > http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=

It seems to be working now. Be back a little later I am testing it now(on dial-up and maybe tomorrow dsl).

Upvote 0

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
Okay just an addition. This is just a quick test via a slow dial-up. On small files like ERUNT downloaded (from Majorgeeks and Softpedia) and the MVPS Host file from it's website, DAP seems to be more faster. On FDM it's a bit slower.
On YouTube videos it was different DAP was still "initializing" up to 15.44min from which it was classified as broken/error. FDM started downloading after about 5 seconds. This is a just a quick comparison and on a slow flakky dial-up. Kindly see images.

DAP_Erunt_Softpedia_Majorgeeks_KIS091912.jpg

FDM_ERUNT_Host.jpg

DAP_Youtube.jpg

FDM_Youtube.jpg

No_DAP_Integration.jpg

I think I'll hang-on to DAP for quite a bit and test it more especially on videos/movies on dsl.

Upvote 0

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
Hello guys,

Have been using DAP for the past day and I find it much faster than FDM. It's the video download that's a bit slow. The observation was the same as of the dial-up even with speeds on 2mbps.

Thank you guys for the help on this thread. I'll open up a new one when I am finished with the observations.

Thanks again :) !

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.