Advice Request Other standalone Default-Deny software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thank you for this info !
I imagine that softwares like Appguard or softwares from Excubits generate a lot of incomprehension, configuration errors from home users and the work for the support could be enormous, so a financial loss for the company.
The "enthusiast home user" are not easy to manage. Maybe even worse.

It's a very valid point and very easy to understand. Sometimes a lot of these types of programs and or concepts like SRP are being done on the assumption that you have some background knowledge on how these things work and what they are doing. Problem is, sometimes home users see these programs/configurations and see how well they actually work, so they go out and give it a try without any understanding of how it works, what it does, or even how to configure it. Then they start flooding the support system with calls/emails because either a: their system/software isn't running like it use to, b: they want to know how to configure it and c: they have tons of great "ideas" on how to make the program "better." So I can see why some companies are hesitant to make their programs available to consumers, as it is a great deal of work to provide support to these costumers.

Again, it's not to say that home users cannot use programs like these, or take advantage of things like SRP, it's just one needs to make sure they do their home work first and understand what it all entails. Knowledge is power! (y):)

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It's a very valid point and very easy to understand. Sometimes a lot of these types of programs and or concepts like SRP are being done on the assumption that you have some background knowledge on how these things work and what they are doing. Problem is, sometimes home users see these programs/configurations and see how well they actually work, so they go out and give it a try, without any understanding of how it works, what it does, or even how to configure it. Then they start flooding the support system with calls/emails because either a: their system/software isn't running like it use to, b: they want to know how to configure it and c: they have tons of great "ideas" on how to make the program "better." So I can see why some companies are hesitant to make their programs available to consumers, as it is a great deal of work to provide support to these costumers.

Again, it's not to say that home users cannot use programs like these, or take advantage of things like SRP, it's just one needs to make sure they do their home work first and understand what it all entails. Knowledge is power! (y):)
Appguard is expensive, comes without a default config appropriate for home users, and has little or no support.
SRP is free, comes with a default config appropriate for home users, and has great support.
Take your pick.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Appguard is expensive, comes without a default config appropriate for home users, and has little or no support.
SRP is free, comes with a default config appropriate for home users, and has great support.
Take your pick.

SRP IMO is definitely the way to go, especially with things like H_C, which make it super easier to configure and everyone is willing to help each other out.

I do find it a little comical though that they don't want people/users to help each other on the free open web. I can understand that they don't want to sell to home users as well as provide them support, I get that, but to tell people (essentially censor people) on the free open web that they cannot help each other is over reaching IMHO. It's not like your an employee or anything, but oh well, I digress.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Regarding Appguard configuration and support: I have been advised by PM (not here at MalwareTips) as follows:
"Appguard has no interest on being discussed on forums ", and furthermore, the community of Appguard experts "isn't here to help or advise people. "

Accordingly, Appguard is not for home users, because the official support channel is notoriously unhelpful, and support on forums is no longer available. You need a business or corporate licence to get real support, and even then, I am not sure how good the support is.

Appguard has been saying for a long time that they don't want home users, and guess what, they mean it. :)

Thanks for getting that info -- which is pertinent. That sounds like Lockdown.... the tone and general denigration of most consumer computer users.

So apparently (maybe), they just licensed the engine for Tech Fortress away to make a little money, but they do not have to deal with pesky and time-consuming individual consumers. I get that.

Several years ago, I was talking with a Blue Ridge rep, and she stated that they did want AppGuard to have "a buzz" among consumers, as some of those consumers may end up in business purchasing decisions. The same company (Blue Ridge) also makes a product (corporate only) called LinkGuard. I have no idea how effective it is... but the sales brief was really good. It seemed like a great product. If I owned a business, I'd look very seriously at the AppGuard / LinkGuard package. But... in the enterprise market, there are now all sorts of new and interesting products.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
A single license for Tech Fortress is available for $3.99/month here. The AOL Data Secure plan is $9.99 a month. I read somewhere that the plan supposedly allows use of the software on up to five devices. I've sent an email to ask about this, but have not yet received a response. If so, then near-bulletproof protection on five computers could be had for as little as $2/month!

Good find.

If you could let us know what you find out, we'd appreciate it.

I might spring for an experimental license of Tech Fortress at $2 per month per computer for 5 computers.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
SRP IMO is definitely the way to go, especially with things like H_C, which make it super easier to configure and everyone is willing to help each other out.

I do find it a little comical though that they don't want people/users to help each other on the free open web. I can understand that they don't want to sell to home users as well as provide them support, I get that, but to tell people (essentially censor people) on the free open web that they cannot help each other is over reaching IMHO. It's not like your an employee or anything, but oh well, I digress.
Yes. Appguard has an attitude.
ATTITUDE | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
infml If you say that someone has an attitude, you mean that the person seems unwilling to be helpful or polite.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Take your pick.

This is the bottom line! AG for supergeeks. H_C for enthusiasts+!

"... has great support. ...) You mean for H_C > @Andy Ful ! :LOL:(y)

Last edited:

ebocious

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
Good find.

If you could let us know what you find out, we'd appreciate it.

I might spring for an experimental license of Tech Fortress at $2 per month per computer for 5 computers.
After running into two dead ends in correspondence with an email support rep and Twitter support rep, who could do nothing more than pick up on keywords in my questions, and copy-paste cookie-cutter statements and links to irrelevant support pages; I got a hold of a phone rep who barely understood English himself, and was so focused on selling me the Complete by AOL plan that I wondered if failure would cost him a finger.

I held three times in pursuit of an answer. What I ultimately got out of him was that McAfee can be installed on up to five devices, Private WiFi on up to two, and Tech Fortress on one. It looks like $3.99/mo. per license is as good as it gets.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
After running into two dead ends in correspondence with an email support rep and Twitter support rep, who could do nothing more than pick up on keywords in my questions, and copy-paste cookie-cutter statements and links to irrelevant support pages; I got a hold of a phone rep who barely understood English himself, and was so focused on selling me the Complete by AOL plan that I wondered if failure would cost him a finger.

I held three times in pursuit of an answer. What I ultimately got out of him was that McAfee can be installed on up to five devices, Private WiFi on up to two, and Tech Fortress on one. It looks like $3.99/mo. per license is as good as it gets.
And you need a credit card with a US or UK license.
And don't expect support on configuration or performance issues.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

Thanks for checking it out.

I actually called the technical support phone number to try and get a few answers. I just wanted to know what the key differences are between Tech Fortress and AppGuard. And I wanted to know the price and number of licenses.

I got transferred around a couple of times, and I actually never got answers to either question. One rep "thought" that there would be three computers covered, because McAfee covered three. But nobody knew.... and they just kept reading off scripts.

By the time I was done, I had lost all interest in Tech Fortress.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks for checking it out.

I actually called the technical support phone number to try and get a few answers. I just wanted to know what the key differences are between Tech Fortress and AppGuard. And I wanted to know the price and number of licenses.

I got transferred around a couple of times, and I actually never got answers to either question. One rep "thought" that there would be three computers covered, because McAfee covered three. But nobody knew.... and they just kept reading off scripts.

By the time I was done, I had lost all interest in Tech Fortress.
If they are clueless about subscription issues, which is their job, you can imagine how much they know about the product itself.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
If they are clueless about subscription issues, which is their job, you can imagine how much they know about the product itself.

Exactly. And I started at the tech support desk... I think the level of tech support is very very low.

Especially with a default-deny product, unless you are a computer whiz.... you are going to want competent tech support.

ebocious

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
Exactly. And I started at the tech support desk... I think the level of tech support is very very low.

Especially with a default-deny product, unless you are a computer whiz.... you are going to want competent tech support.
Different strokes for different folks. I'll take my chances. Best Buy has better customer service than Fry's Electronics, but it doesn't change the fact that Fry's has better stuff. AG has given me no issues so far. A couple of post-factory entries and I'm good to go. Less effort than H_C to set up, and less effort to lock/unlock. It's a mature and polished product, which I appreciate. I like working with my computers, rather than working on them. I get more than my share of that as is.

Klappis

Level 1
Verified
Feb 15, 2014
All these scripts and programs people have listed here are just scams. They don't work and they don't improve your security. Instead the will make your security worse.

Reactions: AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.