Advice Request Password Manager Poll

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which Password manager do you use?(Poll)

• Bitwarden

• LastPass

• Dashlane

• Firefox Lockwise

• 1Password

• Roboform

• Norton Password Manager

• Kaspersky Password Manager

• Bitdefender Wallet

• Avast Passwords

Results are only viewable after voting.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Keepass and Bitwarden. Keepass is my bank where I keep a backup of all my passwords. I use Bitwarden as an extension in Chrome to connect to many websites (desktop and Chromebook) and the desktop app as a vault for things I need on my phone and tablet. It's easier to work on a desktop app than to work from an Iphone app.
For many years I used Enpass instead of Bitwarden but found the desktop app buggy: after a Macrium restore, sometimes the app refused to go to the latest backup and restore it.

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
BitWarden or 1Password, depending on how you feel about the price and using opensource software or not.

It's universal (iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, etc), it doesn't restrict you to using a particular piece of software like an AV or Browser, and most importantly, it's not LastPass.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
BitWarden or 1Password, depending on how you feel about the price and using opensource software or not.

It's universal (iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, etc), it doesn't restrict you to using a particular piece of software like an AV or Browser, and most importantly, it's not LastPass.
One should know opensource doesn't mean secure.

AG3S

Level 2
Oct 14, 2020
Iam personally using LastPass premium for familis. We paid 40--50 Euros and me and other 5 of my friends are using it. I am fine(ish) with Lastpass however, if I would like to choose now I will go with Bitwarden. It is open source and their pricing is better.

It is also great when you go with the free version and unlike LastPass free which IS NOT open source and also restricts the users to access on several devices such as two phones and such.

I personally would vote against using the same app from your antivirus brand. I will never put all of my eggs in the same basket.

And finally, use an UNIQUE email address for your password manager which you have not used any where else(and will not use).

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Hallo Thales, I am interested to know what do you actually mean and why :)
Hello

Check these for example.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Of course. But Bitwarden has been independently audited, and some people care about using open sourced software. Which is why I mentioned it. Not sure why you stated it like THAT, but it is what it is.
Audited when? and have they changed the code since?
If yes, the previous audit means nothing anymore. Don't get me wrong I'm not against bitwarden. I paid for it for 2 years.
I would use it again anytime and also voted for Bitwarden :D

AG3S

Level 2
Oct 14, 2020
Hello

Check these for example.

I completely disagree. What you mentioned completely depends on how active the developers are.

For a peoject like Bitwarden which has a very active developement and a good amount of community contributions, open-source is definately a huge plus.

For the small projects with a very slow developement, YES! you are completely correct.

For the closed source software, look at the SolarWinds and the whole mess that companies like Microsoft are still dealing with this mess. God knows how many bugs are identified which Microsoft has not fixed yet. Windows was an open-source project, th community contributions would had helped a lot in solving the bugs.

In my opinion we should not put our trust in the name "open-source", we should look for and trust reputable and actively developed open source projects.

Reactions: Nevi and ZeePriest

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I completely disagree. What you mentioned completely depends on how active the developers are.

For a peoject like Bitwarden which has a very active developement and a good amount of community contributions, open-source is definately a huge plus.

For the small projects with a very slow developement, YES! you are completely correct.

For the closed source software, look at the SolarWinds and the whole mess that companies like Microsoft are still dealing with this mess. God knows how many bugs are identified which Microsoft has not fixed yet. Windows was an open-source project, th community contributions would had helped a lot in solving the bugs.

In my opinion we should not put our trust in the name "open-source", we should look for and trust reputable and actively developed open source projects.
I should have said in general opensource doesn't automatically mean secure.

AG3S

Level 2
Oct 14, 2020
I should have said in general opensource doesn't automatically mean secure.
Then I agree with you 200% :D(y)

Open-source should not be our main reason for selecting a service or a software. I agree that LastPass has been a really good service and it is not open-source. However, When I compare it with BitWarden which is a similar service and also is an actively developed open-source software, then I would prefer to go with BW.

All in all.... we shold also consider the fact that privacy is not security and vice versa. Most of the available services including F-Secure, Kaspersky, LastPass and ... are NOT open source software, but they are secure and no negative report from these services has been reported yet. However, if both privacy and security matter to you then Bitwarden would be the best option.

KeePass is also a great option but it is not as user-friendly as other options and for the browser integrations you should rely on third-party plugins which I hate. This is thge main reason which I am not using KeePass. Also the sharing is not as reliable as LastPass or BitWarden.

Antig

Level 1
Mar 23, 2021
I've seen many use Keepass like I do,cannot understand why is not mentioned as it was one of the first ever programs.
During many years I've tried also Roboform Free and paid,LastPass,Kaspersky and a few others but I feel more secure with
something that resides in my disk or in a key ,other than in a cloud.
Keepass never let me down,although graphically not the best.

I use browser password managers for those not crucial sites i use everyday to save time.

Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020

What's wrong with LastPass in your idea?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.